No Mic Key on Messaging Keyboard - LG X Charge

rbenash

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
I have enabled the options to provide Google voice input/dictation or "Google Typing" but haven't found the method to get a mic to show on the keyboard to toggle voice input.

I do see a mini keyboard icon on the top left corner of the messaging screen. If I depress/hold a keyboard options come up to select LG Keyboard or Google. I select google and the mic screen replaces the keyboard and I can input voice text and it works. Hit the x on the upper right corner to end, etc and the LG keyboard returns.

My issue is I have to repeat this scenario and manually select Google Keyboard each time.

I would like to be able to simply toggle a mic key as I do on Samsung and can't find a way to do that on this LG.

I have experimented holding different keys on the keyboard hoping a mic option will show but no success. Even the settings key/button on the keyboard doesn't show the mic symbol.

I'd appreciate any help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you don't care about using the LG Keyboard, go to Settings>Language & Input and set Gboard as your default keyboard. Now see if Gboard gives you the microphone on the keyboard.

rbenash

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
Hey Thanks B. Diddy. Frankly I don't remember seeing that as an options but will definitely have another look. Just a heads up this is my Father's phone, he's 90 - and this is his first foray :) Wanting him to easily do text.

I won't be able to revisit this with him now as I'm going to be traveling out of the lower 48 and not returning until 3/11.

I WILL be watching and responding to this post though.

I WILL try any solutions and report back.

beethoven1824

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
B. Diddy; You're a genius! Your suggestion works! I got a GREAT deal on an X Charge from Cricket, but I had the same problem as described by rbenash (above). I was thinking of returning the phone, even though I love it, but I tried your solution. Now, I love the phone even more. Many, many thanks!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards