Note 5 vs Note 4 discussion

If they had been released at the same time, would you get a Note 4 or Note 5?

• Total voters

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Note 4

I have several reasons but latest that I have added is for root reasons. I cannot imagine my TiBU and nandroids on the internal volume. Suicide.

Sent from Samsung's real flagship device
I never had a problem on my Galaxy Nexus. It sucked only because I had to keep clearing out space for my backups.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Note 5 mainly for Samsung Pay- can't believe no one is really talking about this, it's really a game changer! Also 4gb of ram... Otherwise can't beat the 4

Posted via the Android Central App

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Specs Specs, Specs, always Specs with the Android people.

I would choose the Note 4 simply because it offers more. SD Card and Removable Battery. Couldnt care less about a camera that's X megapixels better, or a screen that 0.X larger.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 it is a productivity device instead of a pretty form over function toy like the Note 5.

Note 5 is going to be an even bigger wallhugger phone than the s6 was if thats even possible.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Note 4. Can't see anything that sounds like a big upgrade and would be losing a few features.

I don't like the sound of a glass back. I had that with Nexus 4 and it was always sliding off where I put it down and it added pointless weight and fragility. I'm happy with the S view case for my note 4 which doesn't add much size as it replaces the plastic back. I wonder if that will work as well on the note 5?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
People are voting by experience mostly... or lack thereof. If you walked into the store, never saw a note, the prices between the two were similar, most would buy the "prettier" phone!

C'mon... be honest! LOL!

That said, I'll keep my Note 4!

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You're right. Most people would walk in and buy the newest Tech since, it is Tech, and you have two minds on this.
1. get the just less than new Tech so most of the issues are worked out.
2. Get the newest tech so it's useful life cycle is longer.

But, the majority of people here are experienced users and see that the Note 5 is a step back for it's usefulness as a strong productivity tool. Just like with any device people buy whether it's a phone, tablet, laptop, desktop computer. You want the most available storage you can get. And, pretty much every one of those other devices has a pathway to expand storage. Heck, even my old Windows Phone the HTC Arrive was able to be expanded by installing a different MicroSD card as it's internal memory. It did lock it to that phone and couldn't be used in anything else, but it allowed me to go from a 16gb to 64gb for the, then cost, of about $60.

I'm Old School when it comes to this topic and I don't rely or trust "the Cloud". Not because I'm worried about some government organization getting my family photos or being hacked. It depends completely and entirely on cell service when you're not in a WiFi area. If you're in a poor cell area and you need to get to one of your files, you're in trouble. Ever try getting to a file you have in the clouds that you NEED NOW with a group of Ticked off T-Ball Moms standing around you waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up. And waiting for it to come up.

And finally getting the response: File Not Available

T-Ball moms can be meaner than Soccer Moms...... And they have easy access to Bats.......

Anything I need or want, I keep local. I use the Cloud for backup only and even then I still put everything on my Desktop at home just in case something should ever happen to the servers at the Cloud based company.

I'm going to be using the Note 5 for the next year or two so we'll see how the 64gb limit works out.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Note 4 for me as well. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Note 5 battery can't hold a charge any longer. Samsung still haven't addressed whether or the not the battery can be replaced on the Note 5 or not. I don't really see going around your phone with a heat gun to loosen the glue to remove the back as a viable option.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Note 5 is going to be an even bigger wallhugger phone than the s6 was if thats even possible.

You are wrong my friend. It's getting excellent battery life

940e7b4c526f7cceb4c48ce9b4ed2528.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bigdogburger

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Note 4 for me! . I have a 32gb version plus a 128gb card .. i switch the battery out constantly rather than pulling in and being stuck to the wall... stupid sammy

JawjaBill

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Note 4

I have several reasons but latest that I have added is for root reasons. I cannot imagine my TiBU and nandroids on the internal volume. Suicide.

Sent from Samsung's real flagship device

I never had a problem on my Galaxy Nexus. It sucked only because I had to keep clearing out space for my backups.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The focus of my comment is not limited storage which is not a problem if you have an sd card. My concern is keeping the backups on the very item that is being backed up. I know. I know. Cloud storage unless you are somewhere there is slow or no WiFi and/or terrible LTE reception. Then your Note 5 is burning up precious limited battery trying to download something at 3g speed but of course, you bought Samsung's new 5200mah color matched battery pack ...but I digress.

Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Accessories - The Official Samsung Galaxy Site

Last edited:

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
5! I like knowing I have the newest thing out. That said, for the first time in a while I won't be upgrading to the newest note. Mostly for monetary reasons. At least that's what I'm telling myself now....

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Note 4, because it better fits my usage.

If I would win one, then definitely the 5, since I would've bought a phone that has expandable storage anyway, not to mention that as a work-focused device, the limited amount of storage doesn't really matter to me, unlike my dailies, where they matter a lot.

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If my note 4 forced me to watch a video of a raccoon crapping in my swimming pool every time I unlocked it I'd still take it over the Note 5.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Caveat for whatever the result may be: the people that post on forums like this are the minority.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Great question OP. Let me play this out:

I'm at the store trying to decide.

I'm told the camera is better in the 5 eventhough it's actually the same sensor with just a slightly better aperture. I take a test pic with both. Both look amazing.

I'm told the processor is faster in the 5 eventhough the processor in the 4 is also a beast. I open up a bunch of apps on both. Both are smooth but the 5 is just a bit faster in the recents menu. Slight advantage to the 5.

I'm told the SPen has a better feel on the 5 and I can write on it when the phone is off. I take out the SPen on the 4 and I can tell the difference when I don't feel the click but it still works great. Slight edge to the 5.

The screens are the same. Both are gorgeous.

I'm told the storage capacity of 32, 64 and 128 on the 5 as well as the corresponding pricing. Then I'm shown the storage of 32 on the 4 together with the choice of various sized SD cards as well as the corresponding pricing. They mention the speed of built in storage but the 4 is fast too. I decide the storage factor is a win for the 4.

I'm told the battery is sealed in at 3000 mAh on the 5 but it's really efficient and then shown the 3220 mAh removable battery in the 4 along with the option to replace them easily (I reason this results in practically zero downtime and limitless usage). I decide the power factor is a win for the 4.

I ask about other neat features and am told the 4 has an IR blaster that the 5 does not but the 5 is a lot prettier. Hmm, I'm not sure which one is more of an advantage but then I decide the IR blaster can actually do something and, eventhough the prettiness of the 5 can't be denied, the glass will be more fragile, it'll pick up tons of fingerprints, and I'll have to put it in a case so it doesn't really do anything for me. I decide the extra factor goes to the 4.

Looks like I end up walking out of the store with a Note 4, an extra battery and a 128 gb sd card.

Last edited:

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
@russel5150 you are wrong about the camera being about the same, yes they are both 16mp but the N4 camera is a f2.2 and the N5 is a f1.9 which makes a he'll of a difference, also the processing software is much improved on the N5 over the N4.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk