Note 8 in 2017

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 8

IMO It depends on a few factors:
1. How many people return their phones on this latest recall, and if Samsung has further trouble proving that all the trouble phones have been accounted for.
2. If there are more reports of battery fires related to currently used Note 7s, and how soon it drops off the media radar.
3. How sales of the current S7, and the new Chromebook go over the holiday season.
4. How soon the jokes and comments about the Note 7 stop trending as people jump on some new thing to complain about.
and 5. Ultimately, what deadline Samsung has set to change the name on all their designs, documents, sites and packaging in case they want to rebrand.

I have no doubt there will be a Phablet with an Spen released next year. Samsung invented the whole category and still lead the market in the specific niche that buys the "Note" for those features. But it no longer needs to be the cutting edge release of their phone products.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

IMO It depends on a few factors:
1. How many people return their phones on this latest recall, and if Samsung has further trouble proving that all the trouble phones have been accounted for.
2. If there are more reports of battery fires related to currently used Note 7s, and how soon it drops off the media radar.
3. How sales of the current S7, and the new Chromebook go over the holiday season.
4. How soon the jokes and comments about the Note 7 stop trending as people jump on some new thing to complain about.
and 5. Ultimately, what deadline Samsung has set to change the name on all their designs, documents, sites and packaging in case they want to rebrand.

I have no doubt there will be a Phablet with an Spen released next year. Samsung invented the whole category and still lead the market in the specific niche that buys the "Note" for those features. But it no longer needs to be the cutting edge release of their phone products.

1. Turn in? Some had to toss in the garbage at airports. Others think they'll be collector items. So this really won't matter.
2. The media might report a heated note 7. Samsung is working on the why and I don't know how this will play a part in a new release unless it's very unique.
3. Unless they're only counting money, these are different devices from a Note and from each other. Those who want the spen will want a Note 5 or earlier model. Or the Chromebook.
4. People will remember. Bendgate. Antenna gate and elastics around iphones. But people won't care.
5. Find and replace. Plus they know they had a Note 8 tablet, so I'm sure they've been planning a design and name change for a while.

Samsung needs to be on the cutting edge to get back any that moved on to other phones, android or apple. Plus those of us who never got to use the Note 7 😠. We want it now.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Samsung should go over and beyond to market the safety of their devices and how their devices are now safer than the competition because of the research and technology they're (now) implementing to better prevent smoking/burning phones (I'm inferring doing so is a no-brainer for them).

So the general public can regain confidence.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I feel like a rebrand was coming even before the igniting Note 7.

I suspected this based on how closely the Note resembled the rest of the S line this year.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

They already had a Note 8. It was a tablet. I would have expected a name change even without the recalls. Kind of like Google had already sold a Nexus 7 tablet and now we have the Pixel phones.

To be literal, that was the Note 8.0 tablet.

I think if they rebrand, just go with N8. They already have S7, A9, just follow their trend.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I have a hard time believing that Samsung conducted this survey that quickly - probably not until after the halt in production just a bit over a week ago.

These stories drive me nuts. Everything is rumored and that Samsung "might" do this or that. Do people really think that they would abandon the phablet and open the doors for someone else to take it's place? Delay and rebrand perhaps, but abandoning? I don't believe that.

I do think, however - that Samsung probably did not intend on a GS8 plus which I think they will now - and actually, I believe that was already mentioned in another rumor.

jordankreationz

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

The Samsung Jot ... like take out that pen and jot down a number, an idea, a doodle. Ohhh or the Samsung Phoenix... rising from the literal ashes.

techiekat

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I saw something similar written on another tech site. They sure are jumping the gun here. The stupidest thing I read, was another site saying: "Will the Note 7 be the end of Android?" Hahaha insane! These sites are just bloggers.... all talk. They basically don't know much.

There have been 6 Note type phones in the past few years. This ONE had a problem, why would any company scrap a whole line because ONE of the models had an issue?!

Did Toyota stop making cars with steering wheels after their huge recall of a few years ago???

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Samsung has invested millions of dollars into their s-pen technology. Their s-pen is not a danger, it is not flawed. It is fantastic. It is a huge asset to Samsung.

They have a huge niche in the smartphone market because of the Note model.

The Note series with its s-pen is what drew a lot of attention to Samsung. It is what truly sets them apart from Apple AND any other smartphone manufacturer.

I said it right when the second recall happened, they need to change the name, stop using "Note" but continue making their s-pen phones.

The best way, the ONLY way to make people forget, and people do forget, is to make the next "Note". And make it good, and safe. Then the whole Note 7 disaster will stay in the past and be mostly forgotten. Scrapping the line altogether would actually make things worse for Samsung. They won't gain consumers' trust that way.
Only making the next "note" model safe and amazing, would help gain consumer confidence back.

Anyway, I did speak to Samsung, and asked them, they said they are not getting rid of the Note series. ONLY the Note 7 has been discontinued, and that is all.

Oh yeah, and by the way, there will not be a "Note 8" even if they keep the Note name because they already had a "Note 8" years ago. It was a tablet. So they are going to have to think of a new name for the Note 7 successor anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

This is what worries me: There is a very small part of my brain that is sceptical of the circumstances of the green battery icon Note fires. It's possible that some of these fires were not the green icon phones and still others might be suspicious to put it nicely. Then you're left with the isolated occurances of a true green icon phone fire that is no different than the isolated iPhone fire or other phone fire. These isolated fires do happen - at least I read about them from time to time. Here is my point: Samsung can make the safest phone in the world next year and it will take only 1 fire regardless of circumstances or root cause analysis to freak the world out and bring the brand down once again. Everyone and their brother will be looking for that 1 fire to sink the ship.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

It's time for Samsung to come out with it's own Flagship phone running it's own OS (Tizen) since google has gotten into the game.
There will not be any other notes...that brand is dead. It a joke now. Most people consider Samsung as Android and they should take this opportunity to do their own thing.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

It's time for Samsung to come out with it's own Flagship phone running it's own OS (Tizen) since google has gotten into the game.
There will not be any other notes...that brand is dead. It a joke now. Most people consider Samsung as Android and they should take this opportunity to do their own thing.

Can't say I agree with a single thing in this post.

- You want a Tizen phone? With no gmail, no Chrome, no Maps, no Photos, no YouTube, Allo, Duo, Hangouts, the Google play Store, etc? I don't, and I bet most wont either.
- The brand is not dead. At worst they may choose to rename the Note to something else, but their large phones with an sPen will continue IMO

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Ah they will fix the N7 issue and redo the outside a bit maybe throw some more ram in and release as a new device. They know it was perfect up until it went up in flames.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srk127