Nova vs. Touchwiz

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I just switched over to Nova yesterday. I had been reluctant to do so for a very long time for really no good reason. Now, I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. I really like the configurability of Nova.

One question, if you use a launcher other than TW, do you need to do anything special when an OS update comes out (ex - Lollipop)?

Thanks!

No, I dont think you do. What I would suggest is go into the Nova settings back up all you're customizations to be safe. After the update you may have to make Nova Launcher the default launcher again. But I'm pretty sure that is the extent of your inconvenience regarding 3rd party launchers after an OTA.

Posted via the Android Central App

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I dont think you do. What I would suggest is go into the Nova settings back up all you're customizations to be safe. After the update you may have to make Nova Launcher the default launcher again. But I'm pretty sure that is the extent of your inconvenience regarding 3rd party launchers after an OTA.

You are correct. You will get the OS update as normal while using Nova. In fact, the launcher will be returned as the default one after the OS update.
And you should always back-up the Nova launcher, just in case.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Love Nova Launcher. Thanks for the suggestion. I paid for the upgrade. It's very clean and customizable. Haven't noticed any TW-specific items that I miss so far.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It's funny, I ended up using Nova because Touchwiz would unexpectedly "stop" on my S3 and 4. So far with my Note 4 I am using TW and not having any issues with it!

fishacura

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Really struggling with NOVA on my Note 4. I have tesla installed but my unread counts are all over the place. Things that I have read are still marked as unread and there is no rhyme or reason to it. So frustrating!!!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I understand this problem too. I REALLY like the stock Samsung clock widget (with the image in the background that changes depending on weather and time of day) it really bothers me that I cannot use it while I use Nova. But, it's all about what you get in exchange. I choose to deal with that since I can make my pages look so much cleaner and organized with Nova.
Where is this clock? I cannot find it.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Really struggling with NOVA on my Note 4. I have tesla installed but my unread counts are all over the place. Things that I have read are still marked as unread and there is no rhyme or reason to it. So frustrating!!!
I love Nova Prime but tesla is absolutely terrible. I deleted that long ago.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm loving Nova so far, it's reminding me what I missed when I left Android awhile back!
Does Nova Launcher provide any non-aesthetic benefits? I'm trying to figure out if I'm imagining things or if it's actually making everything smoother and/or faster?

It made my N4 soo much faster. And you can change the icon grid size for both the desktop and app drawer to fit more icons on one page.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I got so frustrated with the trashed unread counter in Tesla, that I uninstalled Nova all together. I then wasted a LOT of time looking for another launcher, that managed unread counts on the Note 4 properly. I had no luck finding one. So I went back to TouchWiz. You know, I never noticed the lag in TouchWiz. Never. But after 8 months of using Nova, boy does TouchWiz suck...... :eek:

Is there ANY launcher with a properly working unread counter?

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I got so frustrated with the trashed unread counter in Tesla, that I uninstalled Nova all together. I then wasted a LOT of time looking for another launcher, that managed unread counts on the Note 4 properly. I had no luck finding one. So I went back to TouchWiz. You know, I never noticed the lag in TouchWiz. Never. But after 8 months of using Nova, boy does TouchWiz suck...... :eek:

Been using Apex Launcher on Note 4 and so far no issues.

However I'm using Nova now with the new patch and my unread counter works fine =/

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Nova is the best in my opinion. I've used Go, NeXt, Apex, and Google launchers. It just seems that Nova is the most flexible. It even lets you have different backups for different icon/desktop layouts that you can recall in seconds. So I could be using 7 Null icons in one setup and switch to a saved Proton icon setup if I get the desire.

Nova Prime. Worth every penny.

from my old nexus 5

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Unread Count Notifications work perfectly for me using Nova.
This is an old thread but the instructions are really clear and it is exactly how my unread count notifications work:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-apps/199709-how-guide-global-badge-notifications.html

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Unread Count Notifications work perfectly for me using Nova.
This is an old thread but the instructions are really clear and it is exactly how my unread count notifications work:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-apps/199709-how-guide-global-badge-notifications.html

I know how to set it up. It used to work perfectly. When my phone was updated to Lollipop, that broke it. It has never worked right since, and I ever went back to factory settings and reloaded everything. I get crazy numbers, like 3 emails show up as 999+. garbage like that.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I know how to set it up. It used to work perfectly. When my phone was updated to Lollipop, that broke it. It has never worked right since, and I ever went back to factory settings and reloaded everything. I get crazy numbers, like 3 emails show up as 999+. garbage like that.

Very strange. It works perfectly for me for Phone, Aquamail, Whatsapp, and GoSMS.

And I am using the updated Nova version 4.0.2

Last edited: