OMG. This thing has a battery that just won't quit!

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
You need to understand that when that happens, it is not like it is on Windows when you minimize applications. When an app loses focus, it freezes it in memory so when that happened with Candy Crush, it was NOT consuming CPU cycles, so it was frozen in your RAM and was not bringing down your battery. You do not need a task killer in Android anymore because the OS will manage your memory for you.

If your task killer is automatically killing aps, it is actually draining your battery more than it is if apps are frozen in your RAM. If you really want to close an app, use the recent apps menu and swype them away. Prior to 4.3, this didn't actually close them but now it does.

it costs power to keep data cycled in memory, much more power than closing something and keeping in memory only as necessary. it doesn't take a whole lot of power to transfer data from storage to memory.

think of it this way, you have 1GB of apps loaded into memory, which takes about 20 seconds to load at maximum read speed. then that 1GB of memory will continue to be refreshed so that the data stays in it. that's a lot less of a power drain, than say, having that same 1GB of data refreshed into memory for hours and hours on end. background apps eat as much memory power as foreground apps. minus the power usage from being handed off to the processor/gpu. so background apps do eat a significant enough amount of power. I'd say it's at least possible for them to eat 10% or more out of battery life.

go ahead, test it out. fill up your memory with as many open apps as possible, then using only one lite foreground app. the first thing you'll notice is there's warmth coming from the back near the cameras, even if you're not doing anything. this is because more data in memory = more power usage. it costs more power to hold 2GB of data in RAM than just 1GB for example. this heat is a byproduct of the energy being expended.

of course, the screen is still going to eat about half of all power no matter what, but there are definitely significant enough energy savings in keeping memory clean. it may possibly mean as much as an hour extra of charge.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 '13 comes comes off charger at 10:00, at 05:30 pick it up, it's at 99%. I didn't ask it how many apps were in the background.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I set brightness at 60-70%. I have let it go to red, and charged it to full 7 times now. It is not improving.

Any ideas?

Wow that is really bright. Are you using it outside? Set the brightness to Auto and see if that impacts your battery life.

FWIW, mine will last days on a charge. I mostly do email and watch videos. I have the standard background, not one of the animated ones that can use power.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Why have a brightness toggle on these android devices? I mean really. My S1m S2m S3, Evo, Galaxy Tab 2, and now this Nexus. What's the point. If you turn it up so you can see it, your battery dies. Why not just lock it at super dim and remove the illusion of choice?

BTW, the battery still sucks. I set it at 50% brightness. I am only getting 2-3 hours of screen time.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
BTW, the battery still sucks. I set it at 50% brightness. I am only getting 2-3 hours of screen time.

Not sure why yours is so different, but might be worth a warranty replacement if you're getting less than a third of normal battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If we purchased from Amazon, who do we contact for warranty support? Asus? Or can I go to Amazon.

Last edited:

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I'd return or get replaced under warranty, the first day I got mine I had the screen at 50% and used it for six hours straight at the library, setting up apps, browsing the web, visiting forums and the like.

Since then, I've used it even longer, though I am keeping the screen more like 25% now, 50% made my eyes too tired. I think the battery life has been amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was using the SeriusXM music app on Saturday in my garage. I listened to music through the external speakers with the volume at ~75% maximum for 6-7 hours and the battery was at 84% capacity when I was done. So it was sipping on WiFi data to deliver the music and playing it through the speakers and it barely dented the battery. At that pace, I suppose it could play music for close to 40 hours. Very impressive!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was using the SeriusXM music app on Saturday in my garage. I listened to music through the external speakers with the volume at ~75% maximum for 6-7 hours and the battery was at 84% capacity when I was done. So it was sipping on WiFi data to deliver the music and playing it through the speakers and it barely dented the battery. At that pace, I suppose it could play music for close to 40 hours. Very impressive!
its an awesome device... btw, how was the sound?

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep, great battery life. I have used the whole day today and there still 50% left. Just probably an hour and a half short of the ipad mini. Still amazing nevertheless.

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
its an awesome device... btw, how was the sound?
this is my first tablet so i have no comparison point. it sounds way better than a galaxy s3 or iphone4 (much more depth and tone) but it obviously doesn't have the clarity and bass of a standalone stereo system. you could have it in the bathroom, kitchen, garage or patio and the music sounds clear and rich. i wouldn't hesitate to load it up with music and bring it camping.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Been using it two days and I still think it has great battery life but just not enough to last me 2 days. I normally would be able to use my ipad mini for 2 days just reading on the web. On the new nexus 7, I would say it lasted me about 1 1/2 day reading the web. Not bad... but need to charge it daily otherwise would run out of battery.