OMG. This thing has a battery that just won't quit!

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a now 'ancient' Toshiba Thrive 7, I'm astonished to see my Nexus 7 battery at 97% hours after disconnecting from the wall.

I'm lovin' this thing.

I'm looking forward to it as soon as it charges....My Flyer (like your Thrive) only lasts about 6hrs of on screen time.

jddunkley

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
YOU GUYS HAVE TO HELP ME GET THIS BATTERY LIFE!! I have only downloaded a few apps and haven't been using my tablet heavily at all and something is sucking the life out of it.

When I look at the battery stats it shows Android OS usually above 50%, 70%+ if I haven't been doing anything else. WHY?!?! Can't seem to figure out what is causing it...but I don't like it! Gets worse battery life than my Galaxy S4 right now...

I don't know how to take screenshots, fill me in if you want one...

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
jddunkley Without knowing more about what you've installed it's really hard to say.

tutor mentions that the wallpaper he started with sucked his battery dry.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this is 4.3 that is doing this? I hope so because that means my N4 is going to get a nice boost.

Well I think it may be a combination of both the snapdragon processor and 4.3 I have the new N7 and the 2012 N7, and after updating to 4.3 on the 2012 one, I am seeing a big bump in battery life! Although if you read some of the posts on these forums, some people say their battery life has diminished since they updated to 4.3......Go figure!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you I agree that the battery is phenomenal. I bought mine last week on Tuesday, and used it until Thursday night without ever plugging it in. I charges it overnight and Thursday and have been using it ever since, and still have 43% battery remaining.

I just checked, the screen has been on for almost 4 hours. LOVE the battery life.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The battery on mine isn't terrible but it's not fantastic. No where near ad close to what Google days it can do. It'll drop 5% in six hours of non use and I'll get about 5-6 hours of screen on time if I use it heavily all at once. I'd say I can almost get that out of my HTC one and my iPad would be nearly double that! I see some who say their battery won't quit, like the op, and some that have the same as me.

Posted via Android Central App

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Didn't really know what to expect battery-wise, but have basically transferred all activities except phone calls and texting from my gsm Galaxy Nexus to my N7. Was pretty much needing to charge my GNex around 4pm. Now my GNex still has around 70% at end of the day. N7 still had 63% Friday night, 52% Saturday night, and 39% last night.

After a year and a half of the GNex, I'm having to force myself to NOT charge the N7 mid day to see just how much I can get out of the battery.

Anyway, really happy with N7 battery so far.

Posted via Android Central App

jddunkley

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
See screenshots below.

Unplugged this morning fully charged. I've only checked a couple emails, updated an app and sent a couple messages and I'm down 5%... Why would Keep awake time be at almost the same as unplugged time??!!

My downloaded apps are: Amazon, Angry Birds Original, Amazon AppStore, Google Authenticator, Bleacher Report Team Stream, Barcode Scanner, Battleship, Google Calendar, CapitalOne credit card app, Chrome, Circle Battery Widget, Cut the Rope Experiments, Dropbox, Google Earth, Facebook, Flipboard, Flixster, Flow, Fruit Ninja, Google Music, Google Voice, a few LDS church apps that don't run in the background, Hangouts, IMDB, Jetpack Joyride, LinkedIn, MightyText (recent, battery was problem before then), Netflix, Google Offers, Ringdroid, Smart app Protector (runs on my S4 and doesn't have a problem), Speed Test, Traveler by Flight Stats, Wells Fargo.

Attachments

• All Apps.jpg
    All Apps.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Android OS Usage.jpg
    Android OS Usage.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 37

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
!!!Dude (jddunkley)???

Look at that Android OS percentage. and your keep awake time!
As a comparison, my screen has been on 3 hours, but the keep awake time ius only 6 minutes.

one of your apps has keep awake permission and is abusing it.

Just because I saw this in a differentforum: you might want to remove any battery monitoiring apps. Believe it or not they can be your primary battery burner.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I was coming here to see if anyone else's battery was as bad as mine is.

I downloaded task killer, because backing out of apps doesn't close them. I played Candy Crush once, had to take a phone call, pressed the home key, forgot about it. Came back in 4 hours, decided I wanted to play again, and it was still going!

Not just the apps thing, my battery life is awful. Like, I get 8 hours tops out of it, with 3 hours of screen time. I downloaded Puzzle Quest, Dungeon Hunter, Outlook, Kindle, Acrobat Reader, Facebook, BS Player, Solitare, Majong, Lottery Results, Swiftkey, Advanced Task Killer, and Candy Crush.

I disabled all push notifications from games and facebook, and email. Dungeon Hunter had a push notifier in there, I disabled that too.

I set brightness at 60-70%. I have let it go to red, and charged it to full 7 times now. It is not improving.

Any ideas?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I set brightness at 60-70%. I have let it go to red, and charged it to full 7 times now. It is not improving.

Any ideas?

Not really sure, I'm getting 2-4 days out of mine with 8-11 hours of screen on. It is a good idea to not let the thing die, or even come close to dying battery-wise. These batteries like to be topped off as much as possible. From what you posted I only have two recommendations.

1. Get rid of the task killer. You don't want apps to close necessarily, but if they need to for resource management, the tablet will do that automatically. It's worse on the system for you to be force stopping apps than to let it handle resources dynamically. Especially with 4.3, this thing is a beast at self management.

2. Unless needed for visibility, I'd consider turning the brightness down substantially. For most people, the screen will be the biggest power consumer, and so it seems to reason that the more you minimize it's power draw, the longer life you'll see overall.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I played Candy Crush once, had to take a phone call, pressed the home key, forgot about it. Came back in 4 hours, decided I wanted to play again, and it was still going!

You need to understand that when that happens, it is not like it is on Windows when you minimize applications. When an app loses focus, it freezes it in memory so when that happened with Candy Crush, it was NOT consuming CPU cycles, so it was frozen in your RAM and was not bringing down your battery. You do not need a task killer in Android anymore because the OS will manage your memory for you.

If your task killer is automatically killing aps, it is actually draining your battery more than it is if apps are frozen in your RAM. If you really want to close an app, use the recent apps menu and swype them away. Prior to 4.3, this didn't actually close them but now it does.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I will do this, any other ideas? I love this tablet. My wife's Nexus (we both at the same time), it has RIDICULOUS battery life.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I will do this, any other ideas? I love this tablet. My wife's Nexus (we both at the same time), it has RIDICULOUS battery life.
Perfect! You have something to compare against. Get rid of all your easy-to-reinstall apps and make your system like hers. Then watch your usage. Still having a problem...then one of the apps you couldn't part with is ruining your experience/battery.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
8 hours of screen on time!? Is this for real? I got 3 hours once, but never again. I usually use medium brightness setting. Do you users with 5 + hours of screen on time also have any email accounts, calendars, contacts syncing? I have mainly been laying Candy Crush (I know, I'll get over it) and lite web browsing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
8 hours of screen on time!? Is this for real? I got 3 hours once, but never again. I usually use medium brightness setting. Do you users with 5 + hours of screen on time also have any email accounts, calendars, contacts syncing? I have mainly been laying Candy Crush (I know, I'll get over it) and lite web browsing.

We are talking the 2013 version, right? I'm at a little over 3 days off the charger with 6 hours on screen so far, at 30%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire