Only 3 hours of Screen On Time?!

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get it. I thought my phone had a good battery life (coming from galaxy s4) but I see people on forums with 7 or more hours of on screen time when I never got more than 3 and a half hours. I have my M8 since August and did a factory reset when I updated to Lollipop. I have wifi, mobile data (don't have wifi on my work), bluetooth, gps always on. Auto brightness.
Here are some screen shots of GSam
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8phus6c4r49ujo3/Screenshot_2015-02-20-17-11-57.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttjcg9vqpr0v2i4/Screenshot_2015-02-20-17-12-02.png?dl=0
What are you guys doing to get such on screen time?!
Cheers

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Check your wifi and mobile signal strengths. Especially with the mobile signal (even on voice), if the signal is weak, the phone turns up the transmitter power (because the phone is weak at the tower too), and that can use a lot of battery.

Otherwise, your usage looks about normal, except for the percentage the screen is using - you might have the brightness turned up all the way, which would use a lot of battery.

(I can't give you an equivalent screen on time that would make any sense, since I have a different phone, and my phone runs with the screen off most of the time. [It's on now, so I can look in it and see what people are asking about - what's on which menu, etc., but the screen timeout is 30 seconds, so the screen is off most of the time.] Still, my 4-3/4 hours of average screen on time has nothing to do with a different phone from a different manufacturer.)

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how you are going to get a good idea of battery usage after looking at gsam numbers after 13 minutes. I see your phone's battery life average is greater than one day. Seems good to me

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how you are going to get a good idea of battery usage after looking at gsam numbers after 13 minutes. I see your phone's battery life average is greater than one day. Seems good to me
You are right. Here are some new screenshots

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui0ancmhopmlzoj/Screenshot_2015-02-22-00-30-46.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eqeyyy30thvgii/Screenshot_2015-02-22-00-30-52.png?dl=0

P.S.: how can I post a photo I have on Dropbox? Dosent seem to work, at least with Tapatalk. How do you guys post your own photos here and on xda?

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Facebook = Battery hungry, Worst wakelock app of them all. Try removing/disabling it, Google+ is much the same also. Try avoiding those two apps for a while and see if your battery life gets better. I'll guarantee it will.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Facebook = Battery hungry, Worst wakelock app of them all. Try removing/disabling it, Google+ is much the same also. Try avoiding those two apps for a while and see if your battery life gets better. I'll guarantee it will.
I know but of you check the screenshots it's Android and kernel processes that used most of the battery, no?
I only get 2 1/2 - 3 hours SOT, but i go 100% with my brightness too
I'm in auto brightness but with the slider further to the right. Do you have mobile data 4g always on as well?

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I know but of you check the screenshots it's Android and kernel processes that used most of the battery, no?

I'm in auto brightness but with the slider further to the right. Do you have mobile data 4g always on as well?

Yeah im 4G 80% of the time...i only have wifi at home, not at work...

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Then I am glad I'm not the only one. I guess other users get 6 or 7h os SOT but have a low brightness level and don't have 4g mobile data always on...

That is what i always figured...ive been on the same quest to figure out how people are pull > 4hrs SOT since ive made my purchase! They must not use facebook either...i checked yesterday and facebook was 37% of my battery drain!

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I used to get around 4 hours sot maybe more. Now on lollipop I'm down to 3 hours. Not terrible but disappointing. Android OS and android system tend to be my 2 biggest drains. I uninstalled Facebook but haven't noticed huge improvements

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
razpie