Oreo Update and Individual Text Message Notification Sounds

Panther5150

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
So, I have had my LG V20 since the beginning and one of the functions that I really appreciated was being able to assign a personal sound for each contact for text messages. Since the Oreo update, however, I cannot figure out how to assign a new sound to the individual contact. Having a unique sound is critical for prioritization and is just plain fun to do.

So my question is, what has changed and how do I assign the individual sounds per contact under the oreo system?

As an FYI, I download most of my sounds from Zedge and that program allows you to assign a ringtone to a contact but not a notification sound except to all as a default.

I am using stock contacts and stock messenger apps.

Cheers!

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
If you use the stock Android messages app you can assign a different tone (via a notification channel) to a conversation.

Panther5150

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
If you use the stock Android messages app you can assign a different tone (via a notification channel) to a conversation.

I have not seen a way to do that. When I open a conversation and hit the 3 lines there is view contact, quick reply, insert smiley, add subject, and priority as options.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
You sure that's the stock Android app (and not LG's)? One way to know is that the stock Android app has an "archive" function (and archived message folder), LG's (historically) does not.

You may need to load that from the Play Store if you haven't previously.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I lost the ability to.

I found the place to change it but it doesn't hold on to the setting and I don't delete my conversations.

I'm not sure why Google/Android pulled this feature.

Anyway for that don't know where to add the custom notifications go here:

Messages.

Then go into a particular conversation.

Then select from the menu DETAILS.

Then the first option is NOTIFICATIONS.

In that page you will be able to change (or set) a custom notification.

Rob

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene