PayPal Here and Galaxy S4

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
PayPal has recognized that their Here credit card swipe reader doesn't work on the S4.

Previously the swipe just didn't work. Now the app says it's incompatible with the device.

They emailed me that they are working on an update for the app. (Earlier they had sent me a Here device with white insulators on the plug, which was supposed to be S4 compatible, but it was worse than the original Here.)

The S4 is still not on their list of incompatible devices (linked from the app error message), so either they expect a quick fix or they haven't yet fixed the list.

The Bank of America Mobile Pay app and reader work fine with my Verizon S4.

Race Director

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I had to switch to Square as I do alot of swiping. I wasn't excited because I use Pay Pal Pro on my website.

Square is alot more user friendly. No more login after every screen timeout. Very quick from slide to complete and most of the time it will automatically populate the text and email fields to send a recipe. I won't be going back to here....

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I had to switch to Square as I do alot of swiping. I wasn't excited because I use Pay Pal Pro on my website.

Square is alot more user friendly. No more login after every screen timeout. Very quick from slide to complete and most of the time it will automatically populate the text and email fields to send a recipe. I won't be going back to here....

... I use both but haven't tried my swiper on the s4 yet... I like PPH because it goes right on a debit card immediately... Will be watching for this update.

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
There's an excellent blog post on Square vs. Here with a lot of hepful comments.

PayPal has great phone and email support; Square is email only and, from others' comments, not so good. PayPal offers great web site solutions, and offers full downloadable transaction data on both web and mobile payments, a big plus over Square.

If Square works on the S4 I will probably use it but only until PayPal starts working on the S4 and auto-populating the receipt screen.

Race Director

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems to read cards now but after being forced to switch to Square I'm staying with them. When I do CC transactions , it's usually 20-40 over a 4-5 hour period.

What I don't like about PayPal is everytime you wake the phone you have to login again and then you get the annoying volume will harm your hearing warning. Then it takes 3-5 days to transfer the money. :-(

Square is MUCH faster from swipe to finish, doesn't require login and auto populates the phone number and email receipt fields. I also get the money in 24 hours. I'm staying with them...

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It seems to read cards now but after being forced to switch to Square I'm staying with them. When I do CC transactions , it's usually 20-40 over a 4-5 hour period.

What I don't like about PayPal is everytime you wake the phone you have to login again and then you get the annoying volume will harm your hearing warning. Then it takes 3-5 days to transfer the money. :-(

Square is MUCH faster from swipe to finish, doesn't require login and auto populates the phone number and email receipt fields. I also get the money in 24 hours. I'm staying with them...

PayPal goes directly on to a PayPal debit card... Within seconds. Square is faster to use but takes two days to get the deposit... So if I need to use that money right away (I'm in the salon biz, this is my income) I put it on the PayPal card.

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

Race Director

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand in your industry repeated logins and speed is not that great of an issue. I sell a product to huge crowds and speed is extremely important. Sell it and get to the next customer. Every second I can save closing a transaction is a blessing when you do $600-$800 per hour at an average transaction price of $20-$30 by yourself.

They both now work, I just find Square much faster and auto population of the receipt email and text field really helps. I still use PayPal on my website and I would have never tried Square if it wasn't for the initial compatibility issue with the S4

SEVideo

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No it doesn't. We have 3 swipers and can't get any of them to work on Galaxy S5 or S6 even though the phone & PPH app recognize that the card reader is connected.