Pixel 7 messages not playing assigned sound

rbohaty

May 18, 2023
Visit site
I have Pixel 7 TQ2A.230505.002 and use Messages for SMS messging, I have assigned custom ringtones to several contacts. When messages come in the "default notification plays not the assigned notification sound.

If notification is set to default, should it play assigned sound or do I have to change to Priority, I didnt have to do that.

droid.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Custom ringtones associated in the Contacts app are only for incoming calls. They don't work for the Messages app. What you can do is open your Messages, open a message thread, tap the 3-dot menu button at the upper right, then Details>Notifications>Sound, and change the sound there.

rbohaty

May 18, 2023
Visit site
I have been setting the custom message notification in the manner you outlined, still plays default notification. It is sproradic sometimes it plays the custom notification but most of the time it plays the default.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been setting the custom message notification in the manner you outlined, still plays default notification. It is sproradic sometimes it plays the custom notification but most of the time it plays the default.
Go to Settings>Apps, select Messages, then Notifications. Do you see all of the various conversations listed there?

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
So for me I noticed if you delete the conversation, upon receiving the very next message from the person with whom you wanted a custom notification, it resets to default. So, if you want to keep the unique custom notification sound for a particular person, do not delete the chat/conversation after assigning the custom sound. Hope this helps.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Also....you can try to set the default tone for messages to NONE.
I can see why they have a default setting for those who do not care or want to setup their own. But my experience has been to just set all the default ring tones and message tones to NONE and then assign whatever sounds you want in each respective app. YMMV