Pixel Fold- Reviews and device thoughts

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I would like to here from y'all that have the device. Worth taking a beating on trade in (P7P)? The device living up to expectations? I always seem to have the TOTL Samsung and Google offering for the year.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
You know it's crazy but there's a lot of us including some reviewer videos that I've seen online lately that are loving this phone despite it's flaws .. you will get better hardware with the Samsung phone... The inside screen will look better with the Samsung phone or one of the international models for those that have access to other brands.. I noticed outdoors the phone gets bright enough but Google has the software to lower it automatically I guess to save from heating... I think it's a little annoying sometimes when you're taking pictures outside in the heat... Battery is okay but not snapdragon gen 2 close ...it will get you through the day but on a heavy day I think you have to bump it... I think the same experience for me as the P7P... I've only had one hiccup so far as yesterday I was in the mall food court in one area where the phone would not pick up the service and my iPhone was working.. otherwise signal has been good for me same as my other phones though I know it's early I've had the phone now for 2 weeks.. and you're going to have some apps that are not going to scale properly because the developers have not set it for tablet.. I find that in those situations you can either do two apps split screen or sometimes rotate the phone and it'll look larger.. The phone is snappy and all the Google pluses just like the P7P are on this phone.. the form factor is one of the biggest positives... It's just a pleasure to use a phone while closed on the go and easy to navigate which is something that the Samsung phone was negative for me.. and then you can just open it up and use the larger canvas... The fingerprint scanner on the power button is much better than on screen... I do wish Google would change the layout with the power button lower and the volume button on top like other phones.. I catch myself sometimes hitting the wrong one...

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
You know it's crazy but there's a lot of us including some reviewer videos that I've seen online lately that are loving this phone despite it's flaws .. you will get better hardware with the Samsung phone... The inside screen will look better with the Samsung phone or one of the international models for those that have access to other brands.. I noticed outdoors the phone gets bright enough but Google has the software to lower it automatically I guess to save from heating... I think it's a little annoying sometimes when you're taking pictures outside in the heat... Battery is okay but not snapdragon gen 2 close ...it will get you through the day but on a heavy day I think you have to bump it... I think the same experience for me as the P7P... I've only had one hiccup so far as yesterday I was in the mall food court in one area where the phone would not pick up the service and my iPhone was working.. otherwise signal has been good for me same as my other phones though I know it's early I've had the phone now for 2 weeks.. and you're going to have some apps that are not going to scale properly because the developers have not set it for tablet.. I find that in those situations you can either do two apps split screen or sometimes rotate the phone and it'll look larger.. The phone is snappy and all the Google pluses just like the P7P are on this phone.. the form factor is one of the biggest positives... It's just a pleasure to use a phone while closed on the go and easy to navigate which is something that the Samsung phone was negative for me.. and then you can just open it up and use the larger canvas... The fingerprint scanner on the power button is much better than on screen... I do wish Google would change the layout with the power button lower and the volume button on top like other phones.. I catch myself sometimes hitting the wrong one...
Thank you so much.

As you know I am usually the first to jump on the "new" thing. I almost weekly swap sims between the S23U and P7P. I am truly happy with both and find the camera is the better between the two on the P7P. The phone reception is better on the S23U, not by much but it is. I love all of the call features and spam features on the Pixel as well. The Pixel experience is simple and smooth. While I like features I almost feel there are too many on Samsung. The screens on the Samsung are easily superior.

I never gone down the path of any foldable yet.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Thank you so much.

As you know I am usually the first to jump on the "new" thing. I almost weekly swap sims between the S23U and P7P. I am truly happy with both and find the camera is the better between the two on the P7P. The phone reception is better on the S23U, not by much but it is. I love all of the call features and spam features on the Pixel as well. The Pixel experience is simple and smooth. While I like features I almost feel there are too many on Samsung. The screens on the Samsung are easily superior.

I never gone down the path of any foldable yet.
Most definitely....I know you are the same as me ...we normally jump in on new releases haha ...I miss my S23U I no longer have it unfortunately..I like the Samsung UI it's customization and nothing beats the screen quality..Pixel experience is also awesome in it's different ways ... You are doing the right way where you could swap out and get a taste for each... Google definitely started the foldable towards a good way.. I look forward to more improvements and future phones... Hopefully they stick with it as you and I both know they tend to change their minds plenty lmao

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Most definitely....I know you are the same as me ...we normally jump in on new releases haha ...I miss my S23U I no longer have it unfortunately..I like the Samsung UI it's customization and nothing beats the screen quality..Pixel experience is also awesome in it's different ways ... You are doing the right way where you could swap out and get a taste for each... Google definitely started the foldable towards a good way.. I look forward to more improvements and future phones... Hopefully they stick with it as you and I both know they tend to change their minds plenty lmao
I would miss the s23u if I no longer had it , I remember going to Flip 4 from s22u and couldn't wait to get the S23U.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I would miss the s23u if I no longer had it , I remember going to Flip 4 from s22u and couldn't wait to get the S23U.

Oh yeah …I miss the phone it’s still here by my nightstand… haha

Fill you on the why …

So I no longer have a working S23U... Around 2 weeks ago I get a pop-up message on my lock screen ” This device is disabled because it was reported as lost, stolen, or has a balance due for failure to meet trade-in terms. If purchased from Samsung.com, check the email used at the time of purchase for an email sent by Samsung for the next steps. "... I bought the phone through Swappa so apparently the person that sold it to me which was a newly sealed unlocked phone bought it from another person and decided to resell it and not keep it ...so has me thinking the person other side financed it and didn't pay after 3 months or maybe stolen but the IMEI was good at sale on Swappa so probably not..I had been using the phone since March when I received it.. I reached out through Swappa and had to open a case with PayPal separately with documentation and photos...long story short they ruled in my favor and have refunded now the amount..just something to think about when going through selling places ..though having PayPal helps IMO ..

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah …I miss the phone it’s still here by my nightstand… haha

Fill you on the why …
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you got a refund. I had a similar experience with ebay years ago where a seller went MIA and didn't ship my item or return my messages after I bought an antique. Luckily I got my money back because I used PayPal.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you got a refund. I had a similar experience with ebay years ago where a seller went MIA and didn't ship my item or return my messages after I bought an antique. Luckily I got my money back because I used PayPal.
Thank you ...yes I'm relieved that PayPal took care of it ...but has me thinking twice about buying stuff though Swappa now ...not their fault but in general now ..

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Battery has been improving for me especially on Android 14 ... hopefully more good things to come ..
768fd4d410e44ad6356e04fc8127f56e.jpg

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
tell us a little about 14. seem stable with fold.From what i read very easy to go back to 13 if needed?
I made a backup of 13 I didn't really look to see how easy it was to go back but I figured it wasn't so bad... It's been very stable I haven't seen any issues once in a while my Android auto acts up but then again it was doing that before I loaded 14... There isn't that many different things in 14.. lock screen you can do more customization with the clocks maybe around 9 of them... The sounds have been split now finally so different for media and rings and notifications one extra... Overall it's been very stable I haven't had any issues I've seen some people on Reddit say they had issues with some apps and the notification area has a gap but I haven't seen that at all... The battery was already getting better coming into 14 and I feel like it's continued..

dmm96452

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I haven't read through all of the other reviews so I apologize if I am repeating things here.

First, I was impressed by how quickly the phone arrived from ATT. I ordered it on the 11th and it arrived on the 14th. I don't usually get phones from the carrier. I prefer one that gets updates more quickly and don't have all of the bloatware but at $1800.... Yea I made an exception. Now on to the phone...

The fingerprint sensor and face unlock seem to work much better than they did on my 7 Pro. I love that. The in screen sensor on the 7 was a bit of a PITA. Folded it index finger falls right on the button to unlock it.

I haven't had the usual battery drainage issues we normally get from a Pixel right out of the box. Full disclosure, I do not have it in my face all day like many others. I probably have barely over an hour of screen time a day and I don't have social media accounts that require a lot of attention.

I am loving the wider outside screen. I had a Z Fold 4 for a while at work and hated the narrow screen. Since I keep it closed for 90% or more of the time I use it that was really annoying. It is a lot shorter than the 7 Pro but still works perfectly.

I am using the Microsoft Launcher and haven't had any issues with it at all. Maybe because they have had it on the Duo? Not sure but it works exactly the way it does on the 7. I tried Nova but the dock being on the side when it is open annoyed me. I don't use the Pixel Launcher because the unremovable search bar takes up screen real estate I prefer to use for apps or widgets. A launcher that has separate settings for the inside and outside screens would be awesome.

I don't like the little pop-up dock when it is opened. Anyone know a way to disable it? I can't find anything in settings.

I haven't used the cameras much but I will update once I do.

All-in-all I am very happy with it. I don't usually go for gen 1 devices or if I do I wait for the initial bugs to be worked out. I decided to take the plunge with this because it looked like what I would want from a foldable phone. I haven't had any issues at all yet but as I stated earlier, I am not a hard-core smartphone user. YMMV.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read through all of the other reviews so I apologize if I am repeating things here.

First, I was impressed by how quickly the phone arrived from ATT. I ordered it on the 11th and it arrived on the 14th. I don't usually get phones from the carrier. I prefer one that gets updates more quickly and don't have all of the bloatware but at $1800.... Yea I made an exception. Now on to the phone...

The fingerprint sensor and face unlock seem to work much better than they did on my 7 Pro. I love that. The in screen sensor on the 7 was a bit of a PITA. Folded it index finger falls right on the button to unlock it.

I haven't had the usual battery drainage issues we normally get from a Pixel right out of the box. Full disclosure, I do not have it in my face all day like many others. I probably have barely over an hour of screen time a day and I don't have social media accounts that require a lot of attention.

I am loving the wider outside screen. I had a Z Fold 4 for a while at work and hated the narrow screen. Since I keep it closed for 90% or more of the time I use it that was really annoying. It is a lot shorter than the 7 Pro but still works perfectly.

I am using the Microsoft Launcher and haven't had any issues with it at all. Maybe because they have had it on the Duo? Not sure but it works exactly the way it does on the 7. I tried Nova but the dock being on the side when it is open annoyed me. I don't use the Pixel Launcher because the unremovable search bar takes up screen real estate I prefer to use for apps or widgets. A launcher that has separate settings for the inside and outside screens would be awesome.

I don't like the little pop-up dock when it is opened. Anyone know a way to disable it? I can't find anything in settings.

I haven't used the cameras much but I will update once I do.

All-in-all I am very happy with it. I don't usually go for gen 1 devices or if I do I wait for the initial bugs to be worked out. I decided to take the plunge with this because it looked like what I would want from a foldable phone. I haven't had any issues at all yet but as I stated earlier, I am not a hard-core smartphone user. YMMV.
Check something please.since on ATT by chance is your area have 5g +? Mine does however I had a & pro and now Pixel Fold neither will do the +.Iphone 14 pro does s23 ultra does and even a very cheap Moto g 5g phone does. Talking to BOTH Google and ATT was for me useless BOTH blame each other.

dmm96452

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Check something please.since on ATT by chance is your area have 5g +? Mine does however I had a & pro and now Pixel Fold neither will do the +.Iphone 14 pro does s23 ultra does and even a very cheap Moto g 5g phone does. Talking to BOTH Google and ATT was for me useless BOTH blame each other.
I am at work right now where I only have 5Ge but I will check when I get home and let you know.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. The Surface Duo is 2 separate screens with bezels in the middle. This is a single foldable screen.
I will admit to being actually quite impressed with that feat. How can they fold glass. Or is it really some form of plastic-type membrane? I had never seen a Samsung foldable - the Pixel Fold is my first.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I will admit to being actually quite impressed with that feat. How can they fold glass. Or is it really some form of plastic-type membrane? I had never seen a Samsung foldable - the Pixel Fold is my first.
The Samsung folding screens are a very thin glass fiber on a flexible backing. I watched JerryRigEverything tear them down and it actually is glass. It's paper thin though, that's why a screen protector is required. The Pixel Fold uses a Samsung screen, which isn't a bad thing, because Samsung's had a lot of time to perfect the technology 😉