Pixel Fold- Reviews and device thoughts

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Let's get a thread going on here with some reviews but most importantly as our members get their devices share your thoughts and good and not so good things with your daily usage.

check this Twitter post with some additional thoughts in the replies

We always need one unboxing - lol

Marques quick first review

Last edited:
Reactions: aggie and jamezr

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm curious to test out the battery for myself as I think it will help me decide on the device although I'm always near a charger I don't want to worry about battery life on a device. Marques had some good likes about the device so don't go by the title.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I already know for myself battery life means nothing...I top it off in my car everyday...Where I sit at home I have a whole charge system...It covers Phones , Pixelbook, Switch , Steam Deck and Pixel buds...

I have always found Google support to be excellent. Years ago I found the Apple store to be hell for support.
Maybe the ars guy should have gotten preferred care??

I would have been more interested in Launcher tests...Looking forward to trying it with Nova.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkdodger2

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Well my friends. I'm finally set up and running full mode on my Pixel fold. I have to say the form factor and build is excellent. .. I love the size and my Latercase is a perfect fit and snug... The crease down the middle is about the same as previous fold phones for me. It's a non-event... I like that the phone doesn't close that little extra degree because it feels good. Like I have a little book in my hand. At least that's the perception in my bad eyes haha.. There's no screen protector on the outside factory installed.. Nice having the fingerprint reader on the power button and I'm using the face unlock for when the phone is folded , but you can't use the face unlock when the phone is open... I install Nova and have it running but the only small thing I haven't been able to tweak it the way I want between having the screen lay out one way on the inside and then seeing it different on the outside. I think that's still a problem that we're dealing with folding phones and third party launchers.. I'm also trying to get used to the multitasking and the dock as a few times swiping between the two got me all crossed up lol ... But I do love Google's implementation of the dock.. As we all know so many apps are still not optimized for foldable phones and one of the things that irks me from when I was using the Samsung foldables and still the same which we knew coming in was an issue ... So either use the website for those apps or pair them with another app to use the whole screen. But I feel like you lose out on some viewing area unfortunately...

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok so after using the Fold for a good week. My opinion of it is , I can not make enough use of the big screen for me to want another. If it weighed the same I would always get one, but the weight with one hand while using it with one hand can allow it to fall from my grasp.

You appreciate the weight of the of the Pixel 7 pro after using the Fold. I like the power button and face unlock more on this device. They have both been 100%...and fast. Hope they keep that for the 8.

The camera I think because of the thickness of the phone doesn't open with a double power button click as fast as the P7 Pro...I think the software speed is the same but in any case I missed 2 pics because I couldn't get it open as fast. (Fox and sort of funny an eastern painted or snapping turtle) The turtle was close to the water and moved as fast as a turtle ever seen. The quality may or not be noticeable...The Pixel 7 Pro takes better pics than anything else and certainly the Fold. I think tests by the experts show the Fold to be low on the list.

I can leave money out of the equation as it doesn't matter to me. It also factors into me not bothering returning it.

I will never have a use condition for the extra screen space. When I am out and about I only use the front screen. When I get home (retired) and I am home alot, I use my switch or steam deck for handheld gaming. The laptop is preferred for using a bigger screen and the Fold gets set aside.

If I still worked as an over the road truck drive it would make much more sense as I never wanted to bring a laptop.

In conclusion for myself only..... the weight and camera in that order are my most important requirements.

I will use it till the Pixel 8 Pro comes out and trade it in.

If you are on the fence with getting one, and budget matters at all...Stay with the 7 or 7 Pro...

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Good points for daily usage and hope it helps others thank you for sharing...I'm using both inside and out about evenly ..for my case usage I don't have a tab ...I have S23U so having used a P7P made it easier to sell and go with foldable ...pics are good enough for me not to miss any features..I will have to test more on double power button to trigger...my only complaints are all Google which I've experience with past Pixel phones ...auto brightness 🔆 is bad and dims too low ..battery is okay don't expect it to match the S23U..and for the foldable apps not all foldable compatible which we knew coming in and it's a foldable thing for developers..it would be nice having different homescreens from when phone is open or closed.. I've switched to AIO launcher which keeps my screens fluid for now ..

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ok so after using the Fold for a good week. My opinion of it is , I can not make enough use of the big screen for me to want another. If it weighed the same I would always get one, but the weight with one hand while using it with one hand can allow it to fall from my grasp.

You appreciate the weight of the of the Pixel 7 pro after using the Fold. I like the power button and face unlock more on this device. They have both been 100%...and fast. Hope they keep that for the 8.

The camera I think because of the thickness of the phone doesn't open with a double power button click as fast as the P7 Pro...I think the software speed is the same but in any case I missed 2 pics because I couldn't get it open as fast. (Fox and sort of funny an eastern painted or snapping turtle) The turtle was close to the water and moved as fast as a turtle ever seen. The quality may or not be noticeable...The Pixel 7 Pro takes better pics than anything else and certainly the Fold. I think tests by the experts show the Fold to be low on the list.

I can leave money out of the equation as it doesn't matter to me. It also factors into me not bothering returning it.

I will never have a use condition for the extra screen space. When I am out and about I only use the front screen. When I get home (retired) and I am home alot, I use my switch or steam deck for handheld gaming. The laptop is preferred for using a bigger screen and the Fold gets set aside.

If I still worked as an over the road truck drive it would make much more sense as I never wanted to bring a laptop.

In conclusion for myself only..... the weight and camera in that order are my most important requirements.

I will use it till the Pixel 8 Pro comes out and trade it in.

If you are on the fence with getting one, and budget matters at all...Stay with the 7 or 7 Pro...
Same for me... I want a compact Flip phone that opens into a full size smartphone. I'm tired of carrying big phones in my pockets, and I never have a need for a big phone that gets bigger, I have tablets and laptops for that.

But I should check out a Pixel fold in person before I form any opinions.... I've learned to never judge without seeing 😉 Besides I do like the overall dimensions way better than the Samsung fold design 👍

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver