Pixel - Signal dropping (Update: Google Knows)

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, I went to the store and they swapped out the Pixel with another. I got cold feet with the V20 because I really love this phone, just not the connectivity issues. They put a new sim card in the new phone and guess what, the LTE is fine. Bluetooth works as does wifi. There must be a bad batch. I hope you all find some relief.

Thank you for the update! Glad to hear things are working out for you. Blue tooth and Wi-Fi both work for me both on my original pixel and my replacement. It's the inability to hold on to a signal and not having any dropped calls if someone texts me while I am on the phone. Sounds like they have a poor Quality Control dept with such inconsistencies like this. This is like the old Lemon Law days

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I will try to remain as optimistic with this situation as best I can in hopes that there will be a software update or fix for those of us who are plagued with issues so that we too can enjoy our devices as much as you are enjoying yours!

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
When you contact Google they could at least give you some insight, instead they told me it's not the phone, it's Verizon. They told me " pixel phone is expensive, it's a good phone". I think Google screwed up by using HTC, should have done better research.

I hear you out on this, but how does that explain all of the people in other countries with the same issues that are not on Verizon? They are all crappy providers? As far as HTC is concerned I work with 3 people that are using HTC 10's and they all get excellent signal strength and are well built phones, but I realize everyone likes different things

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Verizon has spent some time with me doing tests and says it is not their network. They have been ok at least with me before when it is their network, reporting on outages and problems with towers when I asked (not before I asked mind you) so I kind of think they are being straight about this. They did a bunch of reset things, had me do stuff, nada. The phone does connect to wifi but much more weakly than the three other phones I have had on this wifi. I am starting to forget what it is like not to be obsessing about phone problems.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I pretty much believe you about Verizon. It would totally not make any sense for the Pixel to be exclusive to Verizon upon release and then have something that they are pushing not work on their Network. I am sure they are doing things to keep people with them as they have been down lately as far as their completion goes.

I am sure they don't wanna end up with egg on their face

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
c9e460eec5f56a34562890c857aab40f.jpg

I'm on VZW with XL

I'd also like to add, my signal at home has been very poor. Where with the Note 7 and previous devices I would always have at least one bar sometimes two, now I have none to maybe one. See Screenshot....

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161114/c9e460eec5f56a34562890c857aab40f.jpg

I'm on VZW with XL

I'd also like to add, my signal at home has been very poor. Where with the Note 7 and previous devices I would always have at least one bar sometimes two, now I have none to maybe one. See Screenshot....

That is about what I get. IF I get two bars, moving the phone or setting it down someplace different or if I move just an inch from where I am sitting or standing it goes down to zero. Guess I never really appreciated how good my other phones were in my house until I got this. I was always one of the fortunate ones. Can't say that same thing anymore

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Similar problems here. WiFi drops in and out. Or I will randomly pick up the phone and see a notification dating there's no cell signal. Pretty weird as I never had this issue with the 6P or 5X.

supreme8124

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I went through the Note 7 fiasco, for me I consider the dropped calls/signal strength issue worse. I would take the very small chance of fire and kept my Note 7at least it worked.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
So far, no major signal concerns for me (Google store Pixel 5" on VZW). Signal rarely reads all that strong (although I have seen full bars a few times on LTE). But I haven't seen it drop to 3G yet, hasn't dropped a call yet (only been on a few phone calls with it though). Wifi signal (range from access point where it stays usable) is pretty good too. Not laptop-grade, but still better than I've seen from some other phones.

Walking around my apartment, my old Samsung Stratosphere II would occasionally get some breakup in voice calls. Call quality with the pixel is perfect when walking around there (using VoLTE).

Only minor issue I've had is a couple times, it's told me that the wifi I'm connected to doesn't have internet access. But it's never failed to actually get data across when I'm using the phone and the message goes away within a couple of seconds.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So far, no major signal concerns for me (Google store Pixel 5" on VZW). Signal rarely reads all that strong (although I have seen full bars a few times on LTE). But I haven't seen it drop to 3G yet, hasn't dropped a call yet (only been on a few phone calls with it though). Wifi signal (range from access point where it stays usable) is pretty good too. Not laptop-grade, but still better than I've seen from some other phones.

Walking around my apartment, my old Samsung Stratosphere II would occasionally get some breakup in voice calls. Call quality with the pixel is perfect when walking around there (using VoLTE).

Only minor issue I've had is a couple times, it's told me that the wifi I'm connected to doesn't have internet access. But it's never failed to actually get data across when I'm using the phone and the message goes away within a couple of seconds.

Yes, I have had that no internet access issue a couple times as well. Annoying when it happens in a clash royale battle, but otherwise that hasnt been a big deal to me. Something that will hopefully get patched at some point though.

Sad to see people are still having issues with dropped calls and mobile signal. My pixel gets approx. the same signal strength and reliability as my 6p got in the same areas I used my 6p and i havent ever dropped a call, although my calls are usually between 1 and 2 minutes long. I did have an hour long call a week ago though with no issues. I assume this is all part of the Band 4 issue that google has confirmed the problem with and the users reporting the problem are likely in Band 4 regions.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Just curious how many people this is happening to? It seems like it is just a couple people after reading through this thread. It just scared me that this thread was so large but it doesn't seem to be a problem affecting too many people.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Just curious how many people this is happening to? It seems like it is just a couple people after reading through this thread. It just scared me that this thread was so large but it doesn't seem to be a problem affecting too many people.

Maybe on here people are not reporting or
Commenting on it but if you do a search online there are pages upon pages of it and all that are hindered by it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe on here people are not reporting or
Commenting on it but if you do a search online there are pages upon pages of it and all that are hindered by it

How are people not reporting? This thread exists and I see people posting about it here ;). Also as stated Google Knows so the issue isn't being hidden or anything. As to the cause I have no idea. I have no idea if it is software randomly on the phones or if the carrier matters to how the software reacts or what but I do agree some see it -- some don't. I am in the "don't" see it boat at the moment since I have LTE with the same (or near the same) -dBm signal I normally have.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So I am not really sure wtf is up with Verizon , this phone or the process. I am getting a new phone, but I have to wait until after Christmas.
So I put a Tix in back on 10-27. Had text messages saying some was working on the issue and observing they would be with me when they were done. 24 hours the first time and 48 the second. Then nothing. No email, text or phone call saying, you need to go to the doc and get your brain checked or I can't believe you haven't thrown the phone thru a window yet.

So today I decide to call back and check. Very nice second tier rep. Although she did not say what the findings were on the previous Tix, she grants me the worry free return and a ship date of 12-26. So at some point, sooner or later then the 26th, I will get a newer pixel xl 128 black. I could have chosen something else, but still nothing that interests me like this phone. Not the 32 or the plain pixel either and I like the black front so I am status quo.

The rep tells me the pixel has a know audio issue. She says she had to exchange her own pixel xl because certain sounds were not working. Like notification would come thru but she couldn't hear calls, unless on speaker. I stated that although I suspect some of my issues are call drops, I could not rule out sound issues causing one or the other party to say can you hear me and hang up. For me it just says call ended, not sure how or why.

All in all even with these issues I still like the phone. I guess after the n7 I am still stuck in a loop. I feel like I have Stockholm syndrome. Maybe a new one will work.

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
For those of us not having signal drops, it seems like it must only occur under a specific enough set of conditions that a lot of us just never encounter it. I just checked and I'm showing LTE band 13 while sitting at work. From what I've read, the issue appears most often on band 4. So it's quite possible that I've yet to go anywhere with band 4 signal.