Poll: Did Sprint drop the ball on pricing??

Did they drop the ball?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have enjoyed the discussion, but I've spent enough time posting in here the way it is. We'll see whether Sprint "dropped the ball" soon enough.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well if you read all the reviews, it sounds like the 4G data may be throttled (by sprint?) compared to the EVO. Mind you- all these reviews have pretty inconsistent testing capabilities for 4G- but even 3G tethering data rates were VERY different for EVO vs. Epic- and then there's the head scratching issue of EPIC only allowing 5 devices vs. EVO's 8 when used as a hotspot... (I'd never use more than 3 anyway...it's the slower speeds that concern me)

SOMTHING's going on here... call me a conspiracy theorist if you like- but there's no logical reason for this based on the hardware specs that they've announced to the public... I'm happy to pay the extra $50- but I really hope my data speeds & web refresh rates over 4g or 3g aren't eclipsed by an older phone with a lesser processor and I'm charged MORE for this.

By everyone's theory here- higher price = better...so better (or at least similar) it should be when it comes to data and web page loading rates.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Aero, you've been to business school, haven't you?
No, but I drink a lot espresso and read!
Seriously I have some marketing background via PR, but I also am a very old hand at personal tech at all kinds of levels (although no current business interests)

_dd_

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Amazon is selling the T-mobile Vibrant for $0.01 ([LINK])
This could be a nice alternative for people who are open for 2 year contract and do not want to pay the $250 for the Epic 4G.

Main Differences:

Epic 4G - Slider Keyboard, Front Facing Camera, LED Flash, LED Indicator, GPS Issues resolved. 1GB internal storage, 16GB microsdhc card.

Vibrant - 16GB internal storage, 2GB microsdhc card. Preloaded with Avatar (full movie) and Sims 3 Collectors Edition. Also, Thinner.

Services:
The services are generally the same, although Sprint's Network will eventually be running all on 4G, while Vibrant has been promised to "take advantage of increased 3G speeds on HDSPA+" Price for services are basically the same.

My Opinion
But do you really want to give up that keyboard (imo biggest difference). I really like the fact that Vibrant has 16GB of internal storage, and that I could purchase a 16GB or 32GB microsdhc card to up the total to 32GB or 48GB respectively. The Epic 4G will be limited to 1GB internal storage and either 16, or 32GB microsdhc card for a total of 17GB or 33GB of storage.

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
With the Vibrant being sold at $00.01 it makes me feel ripped off paying $250 for the Epic. Anyone else feel this? Before I really didnt care that it was +$50 then the Evo, but now im gonna feel hustled if I purchase it at 250 and see it on sale for way cheaper. Then again the .01 special is for new customers only I think.....

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
With the Vibrant being sold at $00.01 it makes me feel ripped off paying $250 for the Epic. Anyone else feel this? Before I really didnt care that it was +$50 then the Evo, but now im gonna feel hustled if I purchase it at 250 and see it on sale for way cheaper. Then again the .01 special is for new customers only I think.....

Its also being sold at an online retailer for .01, if you want to get it at a T-mobile, you still gotta pay the 200 for it. If you want to wait and see, the price may go down on on-line retailers for the epic, the vibrant wasn't .01 on release day.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
You can get the vibrant for $150 at radio shack. I think sprint thinks this phone will be big with the business crowd so they see them not having an issue paying $250. Tmobile is a non business brand so they need general consumers which are price adverse. I get 22% off my plan from sprint because of work, an extra $50 on the phone is no big deal.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Being as you can no longer preorder the phone through sprint(filled up the first day), I dont think they made a goof on the pricing. I really hope samsung can keep up with the demand.

TripleAgent

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You can get the vibrant for $150 at radio shack. I think sprint thinks this phone will be big with the business crowd so they see them not having an issue paying $250. Tmobile is a non business brand so they need general consumers which are price adverse. I get 22% off my plan from sprint because of work, an extra $50 on the phone is no big deal.

These massive discounts do have me a bit salty...I can afford 250, but a penny? Really?

Mattism78

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
These massive discounts do have me a bit salty...I can afford 250, but a penny? Really?

So hold out a few months when perhaps stout competition is announced and see what incentives retailers throw out there for the Epic. They have to do something to promote sales. The other two Galaxy S devices didn't even have reserves, let alone run out reservations.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The 0.01 price of the vibrant is only for new customers signing a 2 year agreement. Current customers renewing the contract have to pay $150.00

TripleAgent

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So hold out a few months when perhaps stout competition is announced and see what incentives retailers throw out there for the Epic. They have to do something to promote sales. The other two Galaxy S devices didn't even have reserves, let alone run out reservations.

I would consider it, but my TP2 was stolen, I wanted to upgrade anyway, and the Rumor I am borrowing until the 31st is the most b***h-made phone I've ever used, just torture SMH. I just figured I'll take the 100 I'd give to Asurion and just take the plunge. I can afford it, but you can't blame a guy for being jealous that people are getting (mostly) the same thing for (just about) free.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Being as you can no longer preorder the phone through sprint(filled up the first day), I dont think they made a goof on the pricing. I really hope samsung can keep up with the demand.
That's just Sprint preorders. Keep in mind the Evo sold out at Sprint, BB, and the Shack. In light of the Vibrant being given away a month after release, it really looks like Sprint is missing out.

As I said before, no one questions the fact that the phone costs more to manufacture or that it is a better phone than anything else out there right now. The power users will buy this phone no matter the price, but that market is tiny.

Right now Sprint has a big advantage over every other carrier since they actually have 4G. Rather than trying to make a few $$$ from pricing this phone $50 higher than all the other top end phones, they should be focusing on using their 4G advantage to get as many new customers on contract before Verizon goes 4G.

Right now, if I was in the market for a new phone, it would be pretty hard to justify paying an extra $10/month for a service than more than likely is not available to me, plus $250 to get a slide out keyboard and less internal memory. Yeah I know that this statement is not 100% accurate, but a typical consumer doesn't know the details and they don't care.

Had Sprint dropped the Evo price to $179 and put the Epic at $199 they would have 2 fantastic 4G phones priced very competitively. They would likely draw more NEW customers while retaining more existing customers.

TripleAgent

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
That's just Sprint preorders. Keep in mind the Evo sold out at Sprint, BB, and the Shack. In light of the Vibrant being given away a month after release, it really looks like Sprint is missing out.

As I said before, no one questions the fact that the phone costs more to manufacture or that it is a better phone than anything else out there right now. The power users will buy this phone no matter the price, but that market is tiny.

Right now Sprint has a big advantage over every other carrier since they actually have 4G. Rather than trying to make a few $$$ from pricing this phone $50 higher than all the other top end phones, they should be focusing on using their 4G advantage to get as many new customers on contract before Verizon goes 4G.

Right now, if I was in the market for a new phone, it would be pretty hard to justify paying an extra $10/month for a service than more than likely is not available to me, plus $250 to get a slide out keyboard and less internal memory. Yeah I know that this statement is not 100% accurate, but a typical consumer doesn't know the details and they don't care.

Had Sprint dropped the Evo price to $179 and put the Epic at $199 they would have 2 fantastic 4G phones priced very competitively. They would likely draw more NEW customers while retaining more existing customers.

This guy gets it. The big picture.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Had Sprint dropped the Evo price to $179 and put the Epic at $199 they would have 2 fantastic 4G phones priced very competitively.

I don't think it's the cost of the phones alone, they stood to gain a lot more new customers if it wasn't for that silly $10 a month extra fee. It just turns off many potential customers that would be happy as a clam to have a 4G phone is a 3G only area. They can spin that $10 bucks however they like, it's still only paid by those using 4G phones. That said... My Epic is on order and I can't wait to get it even if it is costing me the extra 50 and +10 a month. ;)

Even if the EVO and Epic were both priced at $199 it would still be a tough decision for many.

ARTH_VADER

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys! I'm a Sprint Wireless Solutions Manager & am taking Pre-Orders for the EPIC. I have sold the EVO to several people on Android Central EVO forum, so if you're interested in this phone or any other Sprint Phone feel free to contact me.

Arthur Briones - Sprint Business Accounts
214.394.8345 - Wireless
800.591.8345 - Toll Free

gotthelife4u

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering if Sprint is going to announce more 4G markets once the Epic is released. I know they have said in the past that SF, NY, LA, and Miami so be turned on be soon. I think that would be great for their business. Launch new 4G phone and green light some of the most populated areas in the country.

camtah

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
As a former network engineer in my previous life, I am suspicious of the "cloud" and the potential security implications.

I am a longtime Sprint Premier customer and worked on a lot of equipment installed in Sprint and other Cell Networks. I currently use a Treo Pro and was looking at the TP2 as my next phone. I have a reservation number for the Epic and between now and the release date, I have been going back and forth between the pros/cons of WM and Android.

I am disappointed in the path that WM7 is going and I am not sure if the Google solution is any better. While I can afford the money, I am not sure of the wisdom of shelling out close to $300($250 Epic vs $200 Tp2 and $10/month) over the life of the 2 year contract for 4G. I have not seen any evidence that I can get 4G service reliably inside buildings to justify this pricing strategy. While I am sure the Epics faster processor and graphics will wow the game crowd, for real office type applications, I am still not sure if it is all it is cracked up to be.

I am really trying to like the Epic, but not at the premium price point and service obligation. I think that I would be a candidate for an upgraded TP2 like device, but there doesn't seem to be one on the horizon that I can see. I would hope that Sprint would reconsider the $10 price premium on the service at least.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering if Sprint is going to announce more 4G markets once the Epic is released. I know they have said in the past that SF, NY, LA, and Miami so be turned on be soon. I think that would be great for their business. Launch new 4G phone and green light some of the most populated areas in the country.

Sensorly is showing that there is some signal in Sacramento, so i am aasuming that it will be next on the list.

They should add 4G to ever college town and every major city. That will more or less make it worth it. I don't know why they would put it in somewhere like visalia, other than just as a training exercise or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali