Power Issues - losing power when turned OFF

kevingt01

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing a couple strange power issues with my Note 2. I have tried 3 different batteries. Here's what I'm experiencing..

1. I lose significant battery power even when the device is turned off (~7% an hour)
2. I lose the same ~7-8% an hour in standby
3. My phone won't power on after changing the battery until I plug it in for a second. Almost like I have to jump start the phone even if the new battery is fully charged.

I was running CM10, tried reverting to a backup I took when it was stock+rooted, and am now running slimbean 4.3. Same problem with all three roms.

Any ideas? Even if it's a hardware problem, any idea what part? I don't mind replacing the main board if I'm pretty sure that's the issue. I bought the device refurbed (only 90 day warranty) about 10 months ago.

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Did you try with a different charger? Maybe charger is bad. Or even batteries could be bad. I have a skyrocket with oem battery that is marginal to bad and3 replacement batteries that are even worse and are newer, so, still a possibility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using AC Forums mobile app

kevingt01

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
rgarcia900.. thanks for the reply. The OEM charger charges very well. USB hooked to my computer takes forever, but that's to be expected. I guess it could be that all three batteries are bad. The original (10 months old) seems to drain a faster than the 2 replacements (Anker brand).

I installed Wakelock Detector and see that I am in deep sleep a majority of the time (43 of the past 49 minutes and I've used the screen 4 minutes). During this time I've lost about 20% charge.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You mean it is using power at 7% per hour even when it is complete OFF like powered off? So if your battery is at 100% and you turn off the phone, after 10 hours, turn it back on and you will have around 30%? If that's the case, there is something wrong with your phone hardware... something is shorted I think. The power has to go somewhere ... and probably turn into heat with a short circuit somewhere.

kevingt01

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. Powered on in use; powered on in standby; completely powered off.. I lose power at about the same rate. Unplugged, completely off overnight would eat up most of the battery. The batteries hold their charge when outside of the phone.

Any guess as to what hardware component? Do you think replacing the mainboard would fix it?

kevingt01

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just read a thread of people having similar issues with their S2's due to faulty USB charging ports shorting. I'm going to replace mine since it's cheap and easy and will update my findings.

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
try cleaning it with a toothpick and alcohol in a qtip (just slightly moist) just in case something metal is stuck inside the port. Or try compressed air. clean your battery connections as well.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You have an unoptimized app most likely draining, many many people have experienced this exact problem includung myself. Batteries and phone have been fine. It is most likely an app. Use your built in battery monitor and app manager to determine which apps ate using cpu time the most. Your screen should be using the most power

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

kevingt01

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Were you losing battery with the phone completely off, and not able to power on after swapping batteries? I haven't been able to find any forum posts with similar problems with the Note 2. I have found a thread with similar discussion about a Droid. I have tried wiping my phone, restoring a clockwork mod backup from when I first got the phone. I've tried wiping it and running slimbean. I think I'm going to try bringing it back to complete stock (unroot, get rid of clockworkmod even) but I am having a hard time believing it's software.

Update: I replaced the USB charging port with no luck; same problem exists.

murray arnold

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Good day. I have a galaxy mega duos. I have been experiencing the same issues. I am not a heavy user of my phone and after a full charge normally use about 40% power by the time I go to bed and turn the phone completely off. Never seen the point in laving it turned on while I am sleeping. Is anything really that important.
But in the morning I turn the phone on and its lost 40% and asking me to recharge it. The phone is about 10 months old. I plan to do 2 tests.
1st I will put the phone on airplane mode and leave it on overnight and see what's been drained
2nd I will remove the battery for the night and see what's happening.
If there is an app draining the battery while the phone is turned off I would be surprised. I guess a factory reset would address this issue. Which is off course the 3rd option.
By process of elimination it should be easy to determine the route of this problem. Factory reset. Without adding any apps wait and see how it performs. Then add 1 app per day and monitor battery usage until you find the previous app that may be the offending item than report this app on the forum.

Makes sense albeit a time consuming exercise.

kevingt01

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Start with keeping the battery out of the phone and see if it's just a defective battery (won't hold a charge). My batteries were fine, and a flash back to stock (not just a factory reset) solved my problem.

That said, I ended up having a hardware issue with my wifi where it's transmission power was extremely low and couldn't keep a connection more than 10 feet or so from my router. Samsung replaced my main board to solve that problem. I'm wondering if my probably was a combination of the two issues. I wonder if there was something in the firmware that was trying to use the wifi a little even when completely off (kind of like wake on lan??) Maybe that tiny use isn't normally an issue but ate my battery due to the extreme issues I had with my wifi? I have no real evidence of this theory.

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue, when it's turned off I lose around 7% battery an hour. I took it all over the place and no one could figure out why I finally opened my phone while it was off took it apart and found that the battery was powering the power button while it was off. If you have a switch powered that you gotta move up and down then it would not be because of this. But if you have a push button then it is most likely this. The newer the battery and the bigger it is the less power you lose. I tested my friends cell he has the galaxy s6 edge. He loses half a % of battery an hour. Some phones don't follow this like black berry's but most android based tablets and phones use power while off for the power button.

Foh Handy

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
There are different possible reasons for this issue:

1. Hardware problem: broken capaciator or short circuit at the USB
You can test it the following way:
a) charge your battery to 100%
b) put the battery off the phone. Put it in again.
c) don't turn the phone on. Wait a day and see ...
If it drains battery, it's the hardware issue, or broken battery.
If it doesn't drain battery go on with step 2 ...

2.Software issue: Phone does not shut down completely
a) load the battery to 100%
b) shut down your phone / power off
c) wait a day.
If it drains battery, it's the software issue.

How solve the hardware issue?
First try to replace the USB connector, if it doesn't help, try to find the broken capaciator.
Maybe Youtube can help you.

How to solve the software issue?
There maybe different reasons for this issue.
Maybe a accessibilty service. First try to disable them all.
In my case it was the googgle service "persistant emergency service".
I did use the app "servicely" to disable this service. Therefore the phone must be rooted.

Good luck!