Problems with AOL mail on Pixel 5

anon(448477)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Back in September, my husband got an S20 and we noticed we couldn't set up his AOL on it at all - we just kept getting invalid server response. I even tried the settings I had to use on my Pixel2XL with specific ports and everything. Nothing was working, so we downloaded the AOL app and he's able to get his email that way - but it comes with a cost of having an AOL app. Within the AOL app you can either get notifications or not, there is no granularity, so he either gets notified of all the junk headlines AND his email, or he doesn't get notified at all.

When I got my Pixel 5 a week or so later, everything just migrated from my 2xl to my 5 - so the account was there (in gmail app). Lately though I've noticed it only updates my email when it feels like it instead of the previous schedule of hourly - even if I open it and attempt to refresh, it does nothing. I can see emails on my computer browser, so I know they should be showing up on my phone. When I attempt to open it, it is frequently just a blank screen. I know the gmail app works fine for my gmail account - but switching to my aol account either gives me a blank screen, or emails from 6 hours ago that I've already deleted from another browser. It's particularly frustrating when you're waiting for an email and can't get it to show up.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't delete the app, or force stop it, it's gmails default app and it's not misbehaving for my work or gmail accounts.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
That's because AOL no longer supports third-party apps. Check out this email they sent me back in OCT.. i haven't used aol for years but i decided to login to see if I could and found this email from AOL.

"

Hi AOL Member,

Just in case you missed our prior emails, we’re letting you know that AOL Mail will no longer support third-party applications (such as third-party email, calendar, or contact applications that weren't developed by AOL) using outdated sign-in methods. We’ve noticed you might be using one, so we need you to make some changes before October 20, 2020.

Please take one of the actions below to keep your inbox running securely:

Option 1: We recommend that you access your email using our free AOL app for iOS and Androidor simply go to mail.aol.com to access AOL Mail on the web.

Option 2: Keep your current, non-AOL app, BUT follow a few steps to get it to sync with our secure sign-in method. The steps vary across different email applications, but in most cases, you will have to remove your AOL account from the app and then add it back again to update the sign-in security. Use the links below to follow the specific steps for your current application:"

anon(448477)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Well crap. I don't remember ever seeing that email - and I highly doubt it's still in my deleted items if it was from October. I'll see if I can find any more information.

As I said, the app is crap because they force you to get notifications for news articles and updates they THINK you want - but trust me, you don't :).

EDIT: I can't find that email and I can't find any reference to it at AOL either - their help files for email on android are from 11/19 and 5/20 respectively and they both say to set it up the way I have it. Nothing mentions 3rd party isn't suported.

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Well crap. I don't remember ever seeing that email - and I highly doubt it's still in my deleted items if it was from October. I'll see if I can find any more information.

As I said, the app is crap because they force you to get notifications for news articles and updates they THINK you want - but trust me, you don't :).
Lol yeah. Lame.