Problems with s20 Whitestone Dome screen protector

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
I preordered the 2 pack of the Whitestone Dome glass screen protector largely because they had a 40% off coupon and I figured having the backup would be nice so over time as it gets worn a bit I can swap it. This is my 3rd dome screen protector and I've gotten pretty comfortable with the install. However that being said this has been quite a trainwreck and I've been reaching out to Whitestone for a couple of days and they just will not respond.

The first issue is that the instructions are a bit of a mess, there is the instructions as well as an supplement that Contains step one, then skips to step 5. Also the kit now includes masking stickers to cover the buttons / ports to prevent the adhesive from getting where it shouldnt. That being said, the written instructions say to put it on all 4 edges, and then there are 2 pictures, one showing all 4 and one showing 3 sides. The problem is that the two pack only has 4 masking stickers.

Being that the cage used for the phone had changed a bit I read through the instructions and watched the video guide.

The first install I thought went pretty well until it was cured and there were quite a few bubbles, So i took the glass off and it came off clean, so I cleaned everything with alcohol and tried again. Then I did it again, this time the adhesive didnt make it all the way to the top, it had a slight lip around the top that didnt get adhesive. So I tried taking it off again, this time the glass cracked. OK, glad i bought the two pack, and tried it again with the second glass. This one had the same exact issue but an even larger gap at the top.

View attachment 317465

It feels like they either underestimated the amount required for this phone adhesive wise, or they were having complaints of having to clean up all the adhesive with the alcohol wipes so they've reduced the volume they include. Either way it just doesn't seem that the install is working like it has in the past.

That being said I've reached out to them using their contact us page, as well as reaching out via Twitter. They never responded via the contact us page, but their twitter asked me to DM them and they would assist me. Two days later they have yet to reply to me there either. I am at the point where I am just going to do a credit card charge back but I cant believe the lack of QC or customer service for them considering they've always made a great product in my experience in the past.

Any suggestions on another screen protector would be great

I compared the bottles of loca glue that were in the Whitestone Dome kit for my S20 Ultra with the ones that came for my S10+ previously. They are the exact same size. So, to your point, it may be smart for them to increase the amount of glue in each bottle. Also, after putting my screen protector on, I think the circle on the plastic piece that lays down on the protector during the installation needs to be put up higher. I had to wait 5 minutes before using the UV curing light to wait for all of the glue to get to the top. I still think Whitestone is the way to go, just some things they need to adjust for the S20 Ultra installation process.

jessewaldo

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Question on these: does the glue get in the small crack between the screen and edge of the phone? Like, in between the bezel? Thanks.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I compared the bottles of loca glue that were in the Whitestone Dome kit for my S20 Ultra with the ones that came for my S10+ previously. They are the exact same size. So, to your point, it may be smart for them to increase the amount of glue in each bottle. Also, after putting my screen protector on, I think the circle on the plastic piece that lays down on the protector during the installation needs to be put up higher. I had to wait 5 minutes before using the UV curing light to wait for all of the glue to get to the top. I still think Whitestone is the way to go, just some things they need to adjust for the S20 Ultra installation process.
I've never had to wait more than 60 seconds for the glue to spread.

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site

Neither had I...until this install.

Have been using Whitestone Dome screen protectors since my S9. Pretty proficient with the installations too.

Just wanted to share my experience with this latest one.

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
No problems with the installation here. Just watched the YouTube vid for a refresher and took my time as usual.

ldudiaz

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Had no issues installing it on my Ultra either. This was my first time installing this screen and it came out perfect. I did follow the YouTube video step by step.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How bad was the factory plastic screen protector?
Just saw a video on YT and the guy had a couple of pretty big bubbles right out of the box under the factory protector.

My factory installed protector was bad as well, going to have to switch soon. My one on the Note 10+ was flawless, guess it is luck of the draw.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Same here on my S20 plus I just installed. Less then 60 seconds and it was totally covered. Much less time then it took on my s10. On that install I had to wait at least 3 minutes for the top corner to get the glue.
The only thing That got me was they say to cover all four sides with the tape and only give you 4 pieces in a two pack of class..... I guess they think is reusable? I ended up only covering the bottom so the charge port is covered and the top so nothing got in the sim card slot. Ill use the other two left over for the second glass if I need it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Same here on my S20 plus I just installed. Less then 60 seconds and it was totally covered. Much less time then it took on my s10. On that install I had to wait at least 3 minutes for the top corner to get the glue.
The only thing That got me was they say to cover all four sides with the tape and only give you 4 pieces in a two pack of class..... I guess they think is reusable? I ended up only covering the bottom so the charge port is covered and the top so nothing got in the sim card slot. Ill use the other two left over for the second glass if I need it.
On previous installs I only covered the top speaker. The provided mask tapes can be reused but they provided what you needed. Not sure why 4 sides have to be covered

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
On previous installs I only covered the top speaker. The provided mask tapes can be reused but they provided what you needed. Not sure why 4 sides have to be covered

I guess maybe cover the side with the power and volume buttons, but I don't see why you have to cover the left side. All I did was after the first 15 second cure with the light, I pulled the phone out of the jig and used an alcohol wipe to clean the sides off. It worked fine that way.

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue twice, finally had one good install but am seeing some bubbles on the left and right top edge of my phone and the right bottom edge of my wife's phone. May be the case - Spigen Ultra Hybrid. It doesn't touch the glass though, anyone else end up with tiny bubbles at the corners and edges?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I had the issue with my ultra. It's like the glue didn't travel down all the way like it was supposed to. So I filled in the bottom part. But yeah idk if there's not enough glue or I'm not getting all the glue out of the tube.

Lol, Same thing for me. I poured 2nd tube in a small container and similar to you I put drop on edge where short and worked ok. But agree they underestimated amount of glue required.

dgcorn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Still frustrated with Whitestone Dome. After I ordered my 2-pack for my Ultra, I ordered one for my wife's new iphone Xs. Complete fail on installing on the Ultra, see above. Wife's Whitestone Dome showed up with light broken and unusable, but I have the light from the Ultra pack, so no big deal for me. Installed the glass on the iphone without issue (other than the iphone installation video was for a completely different model of Whitestone Dome). Used the extra glue pack from the iphone pack to try yet a fourth attempt on the Ultra. Knowing that there might be less glue with the iphone pack than in the Ultra pack (which already seems like too little). After applying the glue and glass, I took a bunch of time allowing the glue to spread, even titling the phone to the corners which were lacking. Eventually, glue covered the entire underside of the glass. Cured with the light and everything was good. However, once I put on the case, the bottom two corners pulled up. I'm leaving it on right now because I want the glass protected.

My main problem with Whitestone Dome is the customer service. It has been 5-6 days since I requested more supplies through the warranty request process and I haven't heard anything. Reached out via Twitter message and no response. I don't usually leave bad reviews, but the lack of customer services is ridiculous.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Still frustrated with Whitestone Dome. After I ordered my 2-pack for my Ultra, I ordered one for my wife's new iphone Xs. Complete fail on installing on the Ultra, see above. Wife's Whitestone Dome showed up with light broken and unusable, but I have the light from the Ultra pack, so no big deal for me. Installed the glass on the iphone without issue (other than the iphone installation video was for a completely different model of Whitestone Dome). Used the extra glue pack from the iphone pack to try yet a fourth attempt on the Ultra. Knowing that there might be less glue with the iphone pack than in the Ultra pack (which already seems like too little). After applying the glue and glass, I took a bunch of time allowing the glue to spread, even titling the phone to the corners which were lacking. Eventually, glue covered the entire underside of the glass. Cured with the light and everything was good. However, once I put on the case, the bottom two corners pulled up. I'm leaving it on right now because I want the glass protected.

My main problem with Whitestone Dome is the customer service. It has been 5-6 days since I requested more supplies through the warranty request process and I haven't heard anything. Reached out via Twitter message and no response. I don't usually leave bad reviews, but the lack of customer services is ridiculous.
Your correct good product , service department not great , I've usually do a warranty on the website submit 9.95 and they shipped without problem but to get hold of someone not good

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
All of you that have the Whitestone Dome - Did your fingerprint sensor work good with the factory installed plastic one that your S20 shipped with? I ask since my Note 10 with the Whitestone Dome would not see my fingerprint without practically pushing so hard it felt as if I was going to break the display, and I don't want to install it on my S20 if my fingers are the actual problem. With the stock plastic one still on, my fingerprint sensor works less than 50% of the time(it took approximately 2 minutes to register my thumb) , and I have the touch sensitivity turned up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All of you that have the Whitestone Dome - Did your fingerprint sensor work good with the factory installed plastic one that your S20 shipped with? I ask since my Note 10 with the Whitestone Dome would not see my fingerprint without practically pushing so hard it felt as if I was going to break the display, and I don't want to install it on my S20 if my fingers are the actual problem. With the stock plastic one still on, my fingerprint sensor works less than 50% of the time(it took approximately 2 minutes to register my thumb) , and I have the touch sensitivity turned up.
Mine works good with factory installed or WSD but if your having issues with yours on the stock screen protector then don't go for WSD

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having some issues with the Whitestone screen protector lifting? I'm not sure if the issue is the smaller bezels causing cases to hit the screen and push it up, or the low amount of glue that's been documented in this thread, but I have it on two s20s, and both show little bubbles in the corners and sides where the screen has lifted and then stuck back down several times, looks like it's due to lateral pressures on the glass. I never had this issue on the with the Whitestone Domes on the sgs9, which was stuck on so tightly that in order to remove it, I would need to physically get a fingernail underneath (versus just applying lateral pressure).