Problems with s20 Whitestone Dome screen protector

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
All of you that have the Whitestone Dome - Did your fingerprint sensor work good with the factory installed plastic one that your S20 shipped with? I ask since my Note 10 with the Whitestone Dome would not see my fingerprint without practically pushing so hard it felt as if I was going to break the display, and I don't want to install it on my S20 if my fingers are the actual problem. With the stock plastic one still on, my fingerprint sensor works less than 50% of the time(it took approximately 2 minutes to register my thumb) , and I have the touch sensitivity turned up.
Do you have rough dry fingertips,?

Shaunda12

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Anyone else having some issues with the Whitestone screen protector lifting? I'm not sure if the issue is the smaller bezels causing cases to hit the screen and push it up, or the low amount of glue that's been documented in this thread, but I have it on two s20s, and both show little bubbles in the corners and sides where the screen has lifted and then stuck back down several times, looks like it's due to lateral pressures on the glass. I never had this issue on the with the Whitestone Domes on the sgs9, which was stuck on so tightly that in order to remove it, I would need to physically get a fingernail underneath (versus just applying lateral pressure).

I had no issues with my installation of the WSD. However, I did wait for 24 hours before I put a case on the phone.

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I had no issues with my installation of the WSD. However, I did wait for 24 hours before I put a case on the phone.

Thanks for the tip. I sort of came to the same conclusion, and also poured out some extra adhesive from the extra tube just to make sure it wasn’t a lack of glue issue (just a few more drops). Cured it for 2x the time the instructions asked, and also let it sit for 8 hours overnight then did another 60s top/bottom cure cycle before putting a case on (yes, not the 24 you suggested). Still lifts up when lateral pressure from the case is applied (e.g. squeeze the sides of the case as if I’m grasping the phone tightly). Unfortunately I think when it lifts once, you break the bond and it lifts more easily from then on. I think it may be the size of glass vs size of case (I use Spigen Hybrid), although perhaps a full 24 hour wait before putting on a case would work better.

It looks like there is a cheaper competitor called AmFilm, which also has the liquid and UV cure, where the reviews are better on Amazon, but worse on the forums. Some reviews on older phones say its slightly smaller than the Whitestone, maybe that will help.

Anyone else having problems with cases, especially sung ones like the Spigen Ultra? Do you wait before putting the case on?

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I do have rough dry fingertips. Does that mean I'll have to go with no screen protector, if I want to use the finger print scanner? Thanks!

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Ordered the 2 pack and both attempts were unsuccessful. First try the top right corner didn't fill in, apparently not enough glue. Second try on second glass, bubbles in the middle wouldn't come out. I've applied this protector to several of my other phones and didn't experience these issues. S20 plus BTW.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ordered the 2 pack and both attempts were unsuccessful. First try the top right corner didn't fill in, apparently not enough glue. Second try on second glass, bubbles in the middle wouldn't come out. I've applied this protector to several of my other phones and didn't experience these issues. S20 plus BTW.
Did the glue come out like almost size of a quarter ?

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
After a few different cycles of screen lifting and then warranty replacement, I noticed that the UV light was slightly different on one of my newer purchase - it had a glossy finish, the LEDs looked bigger, and the push button would toggle between 15s and 60s. The light, when on, looked whiter than the old lamps, and brighter.

After using that new lamp on my last installation, it appears to have stuck much better and so far no lifting.

The left is the old one, right is new.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok I just installed my whitestone dome on my s20 plus and everything looks fantastic, fingerprint recognition absolutely is crap. All other touch inputs is good though. I have no touch issues other than that. I removed my old prints and even turned on my touch sensitivity.. it was good before putting this on.

Garz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just installed my whitestone some on my s20 plus and everything looks fantastic, fingerprint recognition absolutely is crap. All other touch inputs is good though. I have no touch issues other than that. I removed my old prints and even turned on my touch sensitivity.. it was good before putting this on.

The exact reason why after 2 months, I still have the factory installed screen protector on. I won’t pay a premium for all of my stuff not work.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I haven't the last 2 Samsung devices but decided to try it again.

I will say they made the install process better.

Update: after messing with this more, it seems it's working (fingerprint sensor) albeit not as accurate as it was before, but pretty damn close.

Last edited:

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it is better... better enough to keep the glass on?

What makes the install process better?

And lastly, are you able to use a case, and if so, what kind?

I really appreciate you taking the time to follow up on this. :)

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I haven't the last 2 Samsung devices but decided to try it again.

I will say they made the install process better.

Update: after messing with this more, it seems it's working (fingerprint sensor) albeit not as accurate as it was before, but pretty damn close.
Glad to hear it is better... better enough to keep the glass on and not lift?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear it is better... better enough to keep the glass on and not lift?

Process is better because seems like they are putting more Loca glue in bottles, the light seems to be brighter and also there is now a piece that lays across the glass protector that helps the spread of the Loca.

As for case I am using. So far there are 2 cases I have used with no interference of the protector at all.
I am more of a minimalist for cases and the GESMA case is a little bit more of a case than I usually use but it's not over the top great grip.
2d6dc26b79b1abd686004a9be4d29741.jpg
ae782898a5dab882ca49ee2d4ad69915.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000