[PSA] [UPDATED 8/1/13 18:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Some people have claimed they were able to receive an OTA with a custom recovery.. more often than not though you should plan to need stock everything.

I have always gotten notified (as far as I can remember) for the OTA with a custom recovery.
I have the notification for the latest 4.3 build sitting in the notification tray for the past couple weeks.
Will it break root this time around?

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have always gotten notified (as far as I can remember) for the OTA with a custom recovery.
I have the notification for the latest 4.3 build sitting in the notification tray for the past couple weeks.
Will it break root this time around?

I assume you mean the latest update to 4.3 (JWR66Y). I did that OTA recently and lost both root and TWRP. I just re-rooted and re-installed TWRP. Other than that, the install went perfectly, and the phone is running fine.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: [PSA] [UPDATED 7/27/13 16:15] Warning for Root users regarding Android 4.3...

Unfortunately not, I never have enough free space to make a backup with titanium (even though I had it installed) ... never figured out a way to hook it up to my computer and directly dump a backup there rather than on my phone first ...

Looking at it OTA rootkeeper is no longer listed as a compatible app ... I seem to remember before I could uninstall (as well as install) stuff on my phone via my PC when looking at the play store and signed in ... am I going crazy or is that no longer there? I'm hoping if I can get rid of that (and maybe superSU too) maybe I'll get past the lockscreen... (though if they are the problem I'm not sure why booting in safemode doesn't work)

Factory image will be a last last resort ... sigh ...

Maybe too little too late, but at one point I was able to put a backup copy of TB on my external SD card. Plenty of room there. I don't know if it was an actual usable backup or not since I never tried to use it (un-rooted at the moment) but it still shows up on my ext SD and as a bak file.
Just something to think about for the next go around.

Update: Sorry, just realized you were talking about OTA root keeper.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver