Rapid battery drain below 30%

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
Recently my phone battery goes from 30% to 0 in about a half hour with no use. Can anything be done or does this mean battery replacement? What is the cause?

Phone is S9, <1.5 yrs old. Since new I've been careful to keep the charge between 50-80%, which is usually about 24 hours of use for me. I can probably count on one hand the number of times is dropped below 40% but it's happened twice this week and that's when I noticed the problem.

Thanks for any help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, would need to see stats from battery at 100% to 5% this also recalibrate the bsttery...also try in safe mode for see if still draining fast could be a app or battery that's degrading.

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. That's pretty disappointing a well-cared for battery less than 1.5 years old would degrade so much. Is that typical?

Below are two screen shots that capture two battery level crashes this week from ~30% to 0, with the apps listed at the bottom. Doesn't look like unusual usage, but maybe this isn't what you were looking for?

Screenshot_20200321-194155_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-194426_Device care.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah those stat , I dont see anything out the ordinary , but do 5 % to 100% and monitor again.

It goes to show dont matter you do 30 to 80 , 5 to 100 these phone battery will last 2 to 3 years , I do mine 5 to 100 or 20 to 100 no issues.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
OK, would the process to monitor in safe mode be the same as I've done by checking the usage statistics for sharp drops in battery status?
In safe mode it runs only on native apps so you can call ,text ,web but no 3rd party apps to see if they were contributing to the drain

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central!

Phone batteries unfortunately age around that timeline that you gave earlier - even though you did a good job in taking care of it. A year and a half is usually when my current phones start to show their age with regards to battery performance, as well.

Is everything else working as it should for you with your S9?

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central!

Phone batteries unfortunately age around that timeline that you gave earlier - even though you did a good job in taking care of it. A year and a half is usually when my current phones start to show their age with regards to battery performance, as well.

Is everything else working as it should for you with your S9?

Thanks, yes everything else with the performance seems to be fine. And as I mentioned the overall battery usage seems pretty good. At least according to the phones meter, it only uses about 30% of the battery in a 24 hour period. Of course if the battery has really lost 30% of its total capacity the actual usage might not be as good as the meter indicates...

I have two family members who bought the same phones at the same times and haven't had this issue, and they weren't as careful as I was with charging. Anecdotal, I know, but I guess that's a part of why I'm surprised at what happened to mine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, yes everything else with the performance seems to be fine. And as I mentioned the overall battery usage seems pretty good. At least according to the phones meter, it only uses about 30% of the battery in a 24 hour period. Of course if the battery has really lost 30% of its total capacity the actual usage might not be as good as the meter indicates...

I have two family members who bought the same phones at the same times and haven't had this issue, and they weren't as careful as I was with charging. Anecdotal, I know, but I guess that's a part of why I'm surprised at what happened to mine.
It's all preference with how to take care battery health , my experience never did it 50 to 80 and couldn't the way I've used my phones but I don't think you have to be that strict on it because at the end like I mentioned 2 to 3 years expect to replace the battery or move on from the device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Phones and their batteries seem to have a life of their own - and they're finicky to boot! Glad everything else is working as it should!

Anecdotal or not, I totally get that this is a frustrating issue - especially since you were careful with your battery. I'm careful with mine too and these things always seem to happen! I definitely feel your pain!

Are you getting close to an upgrade, or did you buy your phone outright? There are always exciting phones right around the corner! :)

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
Thanks again for the replies. I bought the phone outright less than 1.5 year ago so I definitely need to get more for my money out of it.

Interesting update- I ran it down again in Safe Mode and got the same result, battery crashes below 30%. Then I read elsewhere on this site that someone with a similar problem did a slow charge from the usb port on the computer so I gave it a shot. That seems to have had an effect, at least for the moment. See the result of running it down after the slow charge below.

Screenshot_20200328-180213_Device care.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred