Rattle behind front facing camera (not volume rocker)

njennings

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Trying to determine two things:

1. Is anyone experiencing a slight rattle when setting their phone down? This is not the documented rattle from the volume rocker. I'm getting the same rattle when holding the rocker still and tapping on the back side of the phone up in the corner behind the front facing camera.

2. If this is new to all, am I crazy for thinking about getting a replacement phone? While it's not a material problem where I hear it all the time or during active use. It truly is limited to when I lay the phone down or intentionally try to invoke the rattle by tapping that area with my finger. It is even undetectable if I just shake the phone.

I know I'm begging for criticism here but am curious about others' thoughts. Just can't get past the fact that I dropped 300 on this thing and want it to be rock solid.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You certainly could bring it into Verizon and see if they'll replace it. Does the FFC work? How noticeable is the rattle sound? Are you sure it's internal to the phone and not something bouncing around behind the battery cover?

rdearth53

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Oh my gosh! The exact same thing happens on my GNex too! I thought it was just mine and something was up. To me, it's just a minor annoyance, nothing I can't live with. It still is a well made phone!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

njennings

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely inside the phone as I've tried it with battery, cover, and 4G sim card removed. Seems very localized to that one area behind the FFC. I've determined that by tapping it at various areas to find it. I've confirmed again that the FFC does work. It's noticeable virtually every time I set it down. And that's typically on something soft such as a newspaper or my screen cloth, not a hard surface. I'm as much concerned with the annoyance now as what if anything it might signify for problems yet to come.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely inside the phone as I've tried it with battery, cover, and 4G sim card removed. Seems very localized to that one area behind the FFC. I've determined that by tapping it at various areas to find it. I've confirmed again that the FFC does work. It's noticeable virtually every time I set it down. And that's typically on something soft such as a newspaper or my screen cloth, not a hard surface. I'm as much concerned with the annoyance now as what if anything it might signify for problems yet to come.
With that being the case, I'd say take it into Verizon and ask for a replacement. Could be a loose component in there that might break off someday. And I bet it's just plain annoying to have that rattle.

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem.

The rattle can be heard when tapping on the camera area and behind the front-facing camera. I've done a lot of research online about this problem because I wasn't sure if I needed a replacement device (plus, I'd hate to go through the hassle). I've heard a few other people say they had this issue with the GNex. But if you just Google for information on a cell phone camera rattle, you'll find this is an issue with a lot of different cell phones. (I actually saw a ton of forum posts about the camera rattling on the iPhone 4s.)

From what I've read, it seems the rattle comes from the camera's autofocus. I'm not sure if it's something to be worried about or not though. But I suppose it can't hurt to check with Verizon and see about getting a replacement if you're worried.

njennings

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm torn myself. It is a hassle to exchange and start all over on device config, etc. I do maintain Asurion insurance on my account so have protection there in case the issue worsens. I'm one of those that has a hard time letting it go once I've identified something like this. I do love this phone though. Arghhh.

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it would be such a pain to start all over. Plus, I would be afraid of getting a replacement that had more problems! The fact that this seems to be a common cell phone issue puts me at ease, somewhat.

Ugh. No idea what to do...

illmatic13

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I can notice a small rattle when I tap on the back of the top of the phone but it's so faint I don't notice it unless I'm purposely trying to make it rattle but definitely doesn't make that noise when I set it down. Speaking of rattling though, on the first day I got my galaxy nexus, I went home and noticed a really loud rattling/buzzing noise every time the phone vibrated and it def didn't sound normal. It was so obnoxiously loud that I took it back to Verizon later that day and they replaced it because they said the vibrator piece was off inside the phone and vibrating against the speaker grill on the back. Sounds like quite a few people have been having different kinds of isolated issues with their phones, I would replace it before it's too late just to be safe.

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I called tech support. The lady told me the rattling noise is not normal and I should go to my Verizon store for a replacement.

Went to a Verizon corporate store. The manager insisted the rattling was coming from the slot where the SIM card is. But I can hold down the SIM card slot and the phone still rattles when tapped. The rep brought out a brand new GNex and tapped on the back. It rattled. They said there is nothing they can do and would not give me a replacement.

I really don't think this is normal, especially since it seems my rattling is getting louder.

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It is just the vibrator for notifications and such. Its normal in some phones for this to happen, for instance my old Droid X would do it if I hit the top hump or shook the phone in a certain angle. So nothing to worry about

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Its normal. The Gnex isnt the only phone Ive experienced this with from Samsung.

Yeah, from what I've seen online, this happens to A LOT of phones. It seems the iPhone 4s has quite an issues with this, judging by all the forum complaints I read when I was searching for answers about the rattling.

I wasn't concerned with it at first, but my rattling has gotten louder... :-\

njennings

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I went to local VZW store tonight as well. The lady took out two other Nexi (finally found a place to use that word) and both did the same thing. Then just now I was telling my wife about the issue. She picks up her iPhone and taps it at the top. Voila...same exact problem. In a sick sort of way, I feel better now.

porcelain

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I went to local VZW store tonight as well. The lady took out two other Nexi (finally found a place to use that word) and both did the same thing. Then just now I was telling my wife about the issue. She picks up her iPhone and taps it at the top. Voila...same exact problem. In a sick sort of way, I feel better now.

Yeah, I checked my mom's Droid 2 and my ancient Samsung Glyde from years ago (man, that phone was junk). And both of them rattled. My grandmother's basic Samsung flip-phone even had a camera rattle!

So, it looks like it's just something we have to live with. What irritates me is that Verizon keeps saying the noise isn't normal and shouldn't be happening, but then they refuse to do anything about it because it isn't impacting the performance of the device. Oh well.

Just out of curiosity... How loud is your rattle? Is it something that you can barely hear or is it pretty noticeable? Mine is pretty noticeable when I sit the device down or tap on it and I don't think it was always that loud.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco