Razor Maxx Free WiFi??

Rinsterber

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
BamBear I think you are a bit confused...The wifi toggle you are looking to enable will utilize your current data plan to provide a wifi signal to other devices such as your laptop. What is being posted here is a way to circumvent the $15 addition fee required by Verizon for this service(WiFi Hotspot).

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks just wanna make sure I'm not using any of my 4 gigs of monthly data. This free wifi will be a big big help, thanks again for the input

You will be using your 4 gig of data using this app. What you are not doing is paying an extra $30 per month for the Verizon Hotspot. Even if you did, you'd still be using your 4 gig of data.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
BamBear I think you are a bit confused...The wifi toggle you are looking to enable will utilize your current data plan to provide a wifi signal to other devices such as your laptop. What is being posted here is a way to circumvent the $15 addition fee required by Verizon for this service(WiFi Hotspot).

$15? I had a 25% discount and was still paying $25 per month.

Goofypook

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Why not just take the time to root the phone, and then download Wifi Teather? No wires, and its free Wireless tethering. I have been using it since Day 1 of having my Maxx....

thabears23

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't wanna void the warranty plus I did it back on the og. Droid and tried it on my DROID charge and got to confused basically didn't want to break my phone

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
A word of warning, when you're using this you're not paying Verizon their fee but you're still using your data. So if you're on a 2GB plan and you spend .5GB watching vids on your laptop, it's taking that out of your monthly allowance!

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there a root solution for the RAZR? If so the easiest way is to root and search for Wireless Tether it is a Google open source project and you will have to play around to find which one works for you. There are multiple release and release candidates so it takes some playing. I have found on most phones on Verizon that version 2.0.5 works.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
This is all very interesting....so to summarize:

I have an unlimited data plan and a 5GB Wfi plan for $30.00.
If I download the wifi app, I can teather wirelessly to my laptop using my unlimitled data package instead of the VZW $30.00 wifi plan.

However in addition to the wifi app I also need a pda app???

OK, this sounds pretty sweet but just how does it work? Does it just connect to the internet through a browser and than acts as a modem in some fashion??

It just seem to easy but somebody must get something out of this....or am I just to skepical.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This is all very interesting....so to summarize:

I have an unlimited data plan and a 5GB Wfi plan for $30.00.
If I download the wifi app, I can teather wirelessly to my laptop using my unlimitled data package instead of the VZW $30.00 wifi plan.

However in addition to the wifi app I also need a pda app???

OK, this sounds pretty sweet but just how does it work? Does it just connect to the internet through a browser and than acts as a modem in some fashion??

It just seem to easy but somebody must get something out of this....or am I just to skepical.

Your phone basically becomes a wireless router. You use your laptop to find the network and join it and you'll just be using your "unlimited" data to surf through your laptop.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
O.k., I'm not trying to sound beotchy but I'm feeling...well beotchy.

FoxFi is an application available in the market, and FREE.

You do NOT need PDA Net or anything else to get FoxFi to work. You MAY need to REBOOT your phone, however.

Open the FoxFi app, and check the box to start the wifi hotspot. This will result in a hotspot icon showing up in your notification bar. Do not interact with that icon at ALL. You are turning the hotspot on and off from the FoxFi application itself.

I'm not sure why some think PDA Net is needed.

Also, while I appreciate that everyone things rooting is fabulous, there are very valid reasons for why some of us will not root our phones for tether. So when someone is looking for a wifi tether option and especially when they ask for it for a NON rooted phone, please keep in mind that person may have very valid reasons for why they can't/won't root and they are asking for help on a NON rooted phone. Time and time again I see people post solutions for rooted phones when someone is asking for non-rooted help. And as an example of why someone might not root...those of us using Good to access Corporate email are booted off if our phones are detected to have root. It's important to me to get work email on my device so I can't root.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
O.k., I'm not trying to sound beotchy but I'm feeling...well beotchy.

FoxFi is an application available in the market, and FREE.

You do NOT need PDA Net or anything else to get FoxFi to work. You MAY need to REBOOT your phone, however.

Open the FoxFi app, and check the box to start the wifi hotspot. This will result in a hotspot icon showing up in your notification bar. Do not interact with that icon at ALL. You are turning the hotspot on and off from the FoxFi application itself.

I'm not sure why some think PDA Net is needed.

Also, while I appreciate that everyone things rooting is fabulous, there are very valid reasons for why some of us will not root our phones for tether. So when someone is looking for a wifi tether option and especially when they ask for it for a NON rooted phone, please keep in mind that person may have very valid reasons for why they can't/won't root and they are asking for help on a NON rooted phone. Time and time again I see people post solutions for rooted phones when someone is asking for non-rooted help. And as an example of why someone might not root...those of us using Good to access Corporate email are booted off if our phones are detected to have root. It's important to me to get work email on my device so I can't root.

I tried your method and when I tried to go to a website got redirected to VZW. Added PDANet and I was not redirected. Simple enough solution IMO.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I tried your method and when I tried to go to a website got redirected to VZW. Added PDANet and I was not redirected. Simple enough solution IMO.

Did you include the reboot? Because I was unable to get mine to work until I rebooted. I do not have PDA Net on my Maxx and am able to use FoxFi stand alone. I'm not understanding how PDA Net would impact anything since it is intended for USB/Bluetooth connections and not wifi connections.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, based on the info here I just installed FoxFi, disconnected my labtop from the wifi network and turned on Foxfi without doning anything else.....fabulous as I am on the Raxr hotspot at this moment. Phone is connececte to 3g and the internet access is quite speedy. I did run a speed test and got 1.1mb/sec download an .47 upload. Not great but certainly good enough for most work.

As usual, you folks are a wealth on info.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you include the reboot? Because I was unable to get mine to work until I rebooted. I do not have PDA Net on my Maxx and am able to use FoxFi stand alone. I'm not understanding how PDA Net would impact anything since it is intended for USB/Bluetooth connections and not wifi connections.

I did not reboot. I'll give that a shot when my Maxx arrives.

And PDANET is evolving to include wifi hotspot...