Razor Maxx Free WiFi??

z32-z33

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here to the Android world. It's my second day having the Maxx. I just want to say that I got the free wifi to work with just FoxFi. I did a reboot after installing Foxfi, I did not download PDA Net. Getting 12mbps download and 10mpbs upload on speedtest.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Great feedback and even better if PDA net can compete with FoxFi for those of us that can't root. I would gladly pay the developers of FoxFi once the app is a bit more stable. I've had some small issues but make no mistake it is a good app.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Great feedback and even better if PDA net can compete with FoxFi for those of us that can't root. I would gladly pay the developers of FoxFi once the app is a bit more stable. I've had some small issues but make no mistake it is a good app.

FoxFi does not require root. Just install it and reboot your phone. That should work...if it doesn't fully read this thread.

bluwtr49

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I know nothing about rooting but when I installed the Foxfi app yesterday it ran immediatly without a reboot. Today I ran it for 4 hours and it dropped the battery from 100% to 80%. Not bad.

What sort of instablity should I be looking for???

Question though, can one also make and receive calls while it's doing the hot spot thing?? My BB sure wouldn't.

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Before you all diss PDANet bear in mind their tethering system masks the fact that your tethering to prevent the off chance that Verizon will flag you for tethering usage and redirect all your internet traffic from your connected devices to their web page to sign up for their $$ wi fi hotspot. The new version of PDANet 3.25 does work hand-in-hand with FoxFi to add some level of masking your tethering usage so as to make it appear all internet traffic is coming only from your phone.

If you have FoxFi working without PDANet, terrific. If you suddenly get flagged by Verizon and they redirect your internet traffic, then give PDANet a go with FoxFi.

I've rooted plenty of devices and have used the free WiFi tethering app for rooted phones. I've never been redirected. I've also used PDANet and FoxFi with non-rooted phones and have had no issues as well.

Cheers!

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, where did the 3.25 version of PDA net come from? I checked both the Android Market and the dev website, and neither list it. No matter though, I just tried FoxFI with no issue. Installed, rebooted and it ran perfect, but I hesitate to use it unless I have PDA net hiding the tether.

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, where did the 3.25 version of PDA net come from? I checked both the Android Market and the dev website, and neither list it. No matter though, I just tried FoxFI with no issue. Installed, rebooted and it ran perfect, but I hesitate to use it unless I have PDA net hiding the tether.

Yeah, it's confusing. On your PC click on the download link and it should download the file pdaneta325.exe. Install it on your laptop and it will install version 3.25 on your phone as well. The market still shows only 3.02 available. They do a poor job of updating their site.

Tapped from my Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

The PDANet file was extracted by me from my laptop after downloading it from their site.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
How would VZW know if the data is being used by a computer and not the phone? Seems that it's all the same....isn't it??

Don't quote me, but I thought I read something about the way data is transmitted when you're using a phone and when you're on a peripheral like a laptop. Apparently it's different and the "techies" can tell.

dancingwater

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. Do i need to open pdanet and FoxFi to run the Ho tSpot off my data plan or just FoxFi? they are both installed.

EDIT: Looks like opening up pdanet and enabling HotS pot then takes me to FoxFi HotSpot settings. Very nice.

Last edited:

badkarma11

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
So I downloaded PDAnet 3.25 and got it installed on my phone, and also PDAnet tablet and when I attempt to connect wirelessly through the tablet, the browser directs to verizon's page asking me to register for their tethering service. I'm using a Droid Pro (I know, not the same device as the thread) but I thought you might be able to help.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So I downloaded PDAnet 3.25 and got it installed on my phone, and also PDAnet tablet and when I attempt to connect wirelessly through the tablet, the browser directs to verizon's page asking me to register for their tethering service. I'm using a Droid Pro (I know, not the same device as the thread) but I thought you might be able to help.

Did you install FoxFi? You need to use it to turn on your hotspot. After that I'm not sure...might not work on the Droid Pro.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I tried it without PDANet and it didn't work for me. Added it and it worked. Whatever...maybe it's just a security blanket but as long as it works, who cares if you download both programs or just one.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, by cracky...this works.
I just downloaded it and enabled wifi Hotspot and turned on my Kindle Fire, and it's now connected to Android10.
WOW...
So..you realize Big Red willl shut this down at some point. lol. But, of course, it could be a good seller for them because people might see the need for this, then up the monthly thru Verizon.
Wonder if this drains the battery much.
Also, security? I went back and put a password in cuz I'm thinking if you're using it...and your out someone else could get in YOUR phone.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. All of this because I said, Go use Foxfi. I had no idea that this would get up to 6 pages. I figured you just go install it and be done. Verizon does have a way to see if your using a hotspost or your phone's just using data on it's own. I don't know how good of a job Foxfi does with hiding this fact. To be honest, if you are going to be using Foxfi a lot, you really should pay the $30 to cover your bootie. My 2 cents. Take them and run for another 6 pages :D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe