Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA's

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA

that seems like an eminently WISE decision on the part of Google. I commend them for knowing when to quit. Try another brand of tablet, perhaps?? good luck...

HEY, do I know you. ;)

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Shocked that they let you do 7 RMAs. Cutting off a person who abuses a generous return policy is generally done by several big companies. I know of several Amazon Prime customers that lost their Prime memberships for abusing the return policy.

Personally I would have cut you off at 3 RMAs and asked you to return the units for a refund. I do run a company and if this had been my product, my response would have been polite, but informed you that our products do not meet your needs therefore we will return your money when you return the units. We hope you can find a product that will better meet you expectations.

Lil Jaye

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Wow 7 returns that's a lot. I think after two I would have just got a refund and been done with it. I have only had one problem and it was the screen lagging. Which I rectified the problem by turning off Google wallet. I have not had any problems since then.

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Anakin, did you get a working unit?

I have been holding off on purchasing this tablet due to the reports of quality issues, the unsatisfactory support Asus/Google is providing, and lastly those that are bashing those individuals posting quality issues is souring my desire for the tablet. I thought the purpose of these forums was to allow people to vent and receive support from others.

I currently have an iPad 2, but also wanted a 7 inch tablet and really liked the idea of a tablet backed by Google. I'm a consultant and utilize google apps for my business. I would rather pay $350 for a rock solid 7 inch android tablet backed by google than $250 for a tablet that has questionable long term hardware quality problems. I have been waiting in hopes that quality would improve and the tone on this and other forums would change. Instead, all I see is continued reports of the same quality issues, buyers having to exchange their purchases many times to get a working unit, and then getting attacked for reporting their individual bad purchase experiences. I'm also concerned that those "working" units are going to have long term quality issues with screen separation and screen responsiveness.

I don't see this type of bashing on the apple forums. I am not an apple fan at all and would gladly pay the same apple price premium for an android device if I android manufacturers would improve their quality. I'm not saying apple doesn't have their own problems, but apple appears to have far fewer problems (at least far fewer than Samsung, Samsungs own marketing studies that were made public during the Samsung/Google trial), far better support, and has a user base that supports their fellow users instead of the bashing that happens on the android forums.

Personally, I still want this tablet. I hate to admit this, but if Apple does release a 7 inch tablet and Asus/Google has not improved quality and support by the time the iPad mini is released, I will be getting the iPad mini.

Good luck with your pursuit to get a working tablet. I hope you do get one.

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Hey Dan, yes every unit has been fully operational. The issues have been mostly screen related. The first one had paint chipped off the bezel and minor screen lift. The subsequent defective Nexus 7's have had a combination of debris trapped under the screen, dead pixels and noticeable light bleeding around the parameter of the screen specific to typically just one side and occasionally a portion of the other adjoining side.

When I contacted the Google Play Store, I spoke with two floor managers named Matt and Trevor in particular who promised me repeatedly that they would do anything and everything to rectify the issue, are escalating my RMA and I would hear a response from Google in the near future. Matt actually stated that if I had to go through 10 units to discover one void of screen defects, he would do that. I never received any correspondence from Google at all. Exchanging numerous tablets was not my solution and to avoid further exchanges, I repeatedly inquired if they would QA the next unit to be shipped, which eventually did result in an email stating that they can not do so, as Google opening the unit would void my Asus warranty. I offered to send one of my tablets in for repair to have it refurbished with a new LCD which has been properly seated, which they said that they would "look into" and never replied back in kind. Eventually, after requesting what would be my 8th RMA, the supervisor Cameron implied that I am inventing this issues and no QA issues exist. He then informed me that Google will no longer provide RMAs on my account and that this is a decision that came from above him. Their customer service is nonexistent at best and poor regularly. They are absolutely the most difficult and disorganized organization that I have ever made a purchase from. For the record, the only other electronic device I've processed an RMA for was my Transformer Prime, which also had screen separation and it was rectified on the subsequent unit.

I hope this answers your questions Dan.

Anakin, did you get a working unit?

I have been holding off on purchasing this tablet due to the reports of quality issues, the unsatisfactory support Asus/Google is providing, and lastly those that are bashing those individuals posting quality issues is souring my desire for the tablet. I thought the purpose of these forums was to allow people to vent and receive support from others.

I currently have an iPad 2, but also wanted a 7 inch tablet and really liked the idea of a tablet backed by Google. I'm a consultant and utilize google apps for my business. I would rather pay $350 for a rock solid 7 inch android tablet backed by google than $250 for a tablet that has questionable long term hardware quality problems. I have been waiting in hopes that quality would improve and the tone on this and other forums would change. Instead, all I see is continued reports of the same quality issues, buyers having to exchange their purchases many times to get a working unit, and then getting attacked for reporting their individual bad purchase experiences. I'm also concerned that those "working" units are going to have long term quality issues with screen separation and screen responsiveness.

I don't see this type of bashing on the apple forums. I am not an apple fan at all and would gladly pay the same apple price premium for an android device if I android manufacturers would improve their quality. I'm not saying apple doesn't have their own problems, but apple appears to have far fewer problems (at least far fewer than Samsung, Samsungs own marketing studies that were made public during the Samsung/Google trial), far better support, and has a user base that supports their fellow users instead of the bashing that happens on the android forums.

Personally, I still want this tablet. I hate to admit this, but if Apple does release a 7 inch tablet and Asus/Google has not improved quality and support by the time the iPad mini is released, I will be getting the iPad mini.

Good luck with your pursuit to get a working tablet. I hope you do get one.

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Anakin for sharing.

I too had a transformer prime before my iPad 2 and returned it primarily due to unusable wifi, lockups, and the lack of support. The Asus response to nonfunctional GPS on the Prime was just icing on the cake. I have always been an Asus customer and will continue to purchase their laptops, netbooks, and motherboards, but something needs to change on the tablet front.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Jeeez, another one of these, "I'm the unluckiest because when most people have no problem, I get (insert unreal number here) bad ones in a row!" threads.....

Rootbrain

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, sorry you had to go through 7 devices. I'm like you and would've done the same thing. While so many have said this is not the device for you--I dont think any one of us here are qualified to decide for another what's for/not for them.

The defects you encountered are defects none the less and I understand your frustration in wanting a 100% defective free device. Also, the fact that its a Nexus probably made you want it that much more.

It may sting your pride that they said return your unit--we cant help you. I think the point was missed that had the FIRST unit been perfect, you wouldn't have had to RMA to begin with. Seems if you still want the Nexus 7 you'd be better off going into a physical store to purchase it. It's not as though Google said return it and we're not giving you your money back so it's not a total loss.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Awesome post man. The Nexus 7 is a great tablet. I've been very happy with it and found it to be useful. However, have been annoyed with the QA tolerances that allowed glaring quirks related to the screen when the product is essentially a screen. I'm also questioning the devices I received through RMA as the date codes never changed to August... I'm hoping that perhaps the retail channels will have a fresher batch that may have these issues ironed out. Anyhow, thanks for your positivity!

To the OP, sorry you had to go through 7 devices. I'm like you and would've done the same thing. While so many have said this is not the device for you--I dont think any one of us here are qualified to decide for another what's for/not for them.

The defects you encountered are defects none the less and I understand your frustration in wanting a 100% defective free device. Also, the fact that its a Nexus probably made you want it that much more.

It may sting your pride that they said return your unit--we cant help you. I think the point was missed that had the FIRST unit been perfect, you wouldn't have had to RMA to begin with. Seems if you still want the Nexus 7 you'd be better off going into a physical store to purchase it. It's not as though Google said return it and we're not giving you your money back so it's not a total loss.

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Update: Bought a unit at Walmart, LCD is flawless, screen is ever so slightly lifted on the left hand side, which is entirely acceptable. However, just as I thought that I had a keeper, the speaker buzzes on high pitched frequencies.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Update: Bought a unit at Walmart, LCD is flawless, screen is ever so slightly lifted on the left hand side, which is entirely acceptable. However, just as I thought that I had a keeper, the speaker buzzes on high pitched frequencies.

Are you taking it back for exchange?

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Considering it...I don't really listen to much music on my tabet and it's only at super high frequencies...so, I may be willing to trade screen for speaker...though, the proposition irritates me. I'm probably going to buy a unit or two more and see how they are. It's odd to me that every unit I received from the Play Store under RMA had identical screen defects and the first one from Walmart is perfect. Makes me wonder where those RMA units are originating from...

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

What kind of frequency? I mean, is it just music or something else, like an app that goes through the frequency range? Maybe the speaker can't handle the frequency range you are trying to play though it.

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Well, I always use Coldplay's song "Fix You" to test the speaker (really any speaker) as it has a large amount of range. The other tablets didn't buzz, this speaker sounds like it is rattling against the housing for the speaker. Probably isn't glued in place as well as the previous units. I'd say that it is perceptible about 10% of the time. Enough to be annoying if you're listening to music.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Well, I always use Coldplay's song "Fix You" to test the speaker (really any speaker) as it has a large amount of range. The other tablets didn't buzz, this speaker sounds like it is rattling against the housing for the speaker. Probably isn't glued in place as well as the previous units. I'd say that it is perceptible about 10% of the time. Enough to be annoying if you're listening to music.

Listen to the Eagles or Beatles--then you won't hear "issues". :)

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I could also listen to the sound of my Nexus sliding across the WalMart exchange counter as I get another one.

In all seriousness, how many will you go through before you just give up? Because now you are simply wasting time/money by driving back and forth to WalMart. I don't blame you if you really, really like the N7 and want one. But at this point, I'd be so turned off that I'd go for something else.

And remember as you are returning it that's it's not WalMart's fault. Just keep that in mind before you go in there with an attitude. Also, just open the box and test it out while standing there. No point in going all the way back home and then finding out you have an issue. I have a feeling that WalMart will start to give you the same treatment Google did though after you keep returning them.

Reactions: InjuredNinja