Release Date

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Sometime Q2 seems to be the general consensus, and I agree with it. When exactly in Q2, I guess it's hard to say. My guess would be mid Q2, hopefully not any later.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Sometime Q2 seems to be the general consensus, and I agree with it. When exactly in Q2, I guess it's hard to say. My guess would be mid Q2, hopefully not any later.

Seeing that I am having NO trouble with my current Blackberry Tour 9630 and presuming you are close I could live with that. I would hate to waste my March upgrade just because I want a new phone rather than have to have one. Yep I can wait.
Thanks for the info Chris.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
So what is the consensus of this thread and forum about the release date of the Bionic? I recently actually had the privilage to actually hold and play with a prototype from a client of mine(A Motorola Exec.) and although not the final OS it was very impressive and nice to hold. I know he told me he believes April/May but could not speak for VZW.

What does everyone else think on here?

PS This phone is truly going to be worth the wait no matter when it comes out!

Yea, I'm really leaning towards waiting. I like the look of sense and that HTC is more "open" to the hacking community... However, XDA and others will find a way to root the Bionic. I'm not so big into the cooked ROM thing as I once was. I just want the root functionality for tethering, overclocking, etc. and I'm sure root will happen on Bionic.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I'm really leaning towards waiting. I like the look of sense and that HTC is more "open" to the hacking community... However, XDA and others will find a way to root the Bionic. I'm not so big into the cooked ROM thing as I once was. I just want the root functionality for tethering, overclocking, etc. and I'm sure root will happen on Bionic.

No matter which way I go and whatever device a wind up I personally have no desire to ROOT my device and will keep it stock. Thant is in my belief what kept my original BlackBerry Tour and the only one I have had for 2 years perfect and trouble free.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
No matter which way I go and whatever device a wind up I personally have no desire to ROOT my device and will keep it stock. Thant is in my belief what kept my original BlackBerry Tour and the only one I have had for 2 years perfect and trouble free.

I used to feel the same way, and I can totally understand it. To be honest, the only reason I rooted my current phone is so I can use certain apps that require root access, such as Root Explorer, WiFi Tether, and ShootMe.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I used to feel the same way, and I can totally understand it. To be honest, the only reason I rooted my current phone is so I can use certain apps that require root access, such as Root Explorer, WiFi Tether, and ShootMe.

Exactly. I loaded custom roms on my Droid because they were much faster and more optimized. I think that with these new generations of Android phones you don't really need to worry about that as much as just having root access to do specific tasks.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

Chris,
And for the same reason I respect your decision i would not have any reason to use these apps you are talking about and I have an idea besides the apps that will come on the phone I am going to be selective to apps I install that DO NOT require my phone to be rooted...:)

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Chris another thing as long as we are talking rooting although I already mentioned that I am out on that, When you root a device is it true that you then cannot update the carriers OS that they would ordinarily throw your way via OTA?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Chris another thing as long as we are talking rooting although I already mentioned that I am out on that, When you root a device is it true that you then cannot update the carriers OS that they would ordinarily throw your way via OTA?

Yeah that's true. You will still sometimes receive the OTA, but it will almost always fail to install. Thankfully, unrooting is relatively easy.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's true. You will still sometimes receive the OTA, but it will almost always fail to install. Thankfully, unrooting is relatively easy.

That is what I thought and another strong reason on my part for not wanting to do it. I have read enough stories on here about people rooting and then having trouble not being able to update the latest OS.

This is a reason since day one for two years I am on the same BB Tour i got brand new because I did not mess with it and used only VZW approved and released OSs.

It is just time to move on as I feel RIM is not going anywhere and the Android and even ios groups are bringing out devices that blow my mind especially recently having the privilige of just being able to play with a Bionic for a week through a high exec friend of mine from Motorola.

rewd

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It is just time to move on as I feel RIM is not going anywhere and the Android and even ios groups are bringing out devices that blow my mind especially recently having the privilige of just being able to play with a Bionic for a week through a high exec friend of mine from Motorola.

ohh!! lucky you. what were your impressions of it? I'm having a hard time deciding on going with the tbolt or waiting on the bionic.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

That's not 100% true though. If you are just simply rooted the update will download and can still be installed manually. It will break root though.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
ohh!! lucky you. what were your impressions of it? I'm having a hard time deciding on going with the tbolt or waiting on the bionic.

This device the Bionic very much impressed me and I try not to do the Deer in the headlights kind of thing when I had this opportunity or even go into a VZW store and see all the preety new toys. I don't want to form a bond with anything rather letting ease of use and impressions of how I think it will suit me over the next 2 years will be. The Bionic was certainly all that and more.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
That's not 100% true though. If you are just simply rooted the update will download and can still be installed manually. It will break root though.

Thank you for this updated statement and Chris as well but this is not where I want to go personally bouncing back and forth from Root to no Root and ping pong around with a new device.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
When you're rooted and running Custom Roms the updates really don't matter. The devs will build them into the Roms and usually before the OTA update is released. I have been running a Gingerbread based Rom for almost two months now. Either way, it's the press of a button to unroot the phone... takes 2 minutes including reboot.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
When you're rooted and running Custom Roms the updates really don't matter. The devs will build them into the Roms and usually before the OTA update is released. I have been running a Gingerbread based Rom for almost two months now. Either way, it's the press of a button to unroot the phone... takes 2 minutes including reboot.

Thank you for the advice if I ever change my mind. If I do I will get in touch with you for further advice if that is ok?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the advice if I ever change my mind. If I do I will get in touch with you for further advice if that is ok?

No problem. Z4root unroots and roots with the press of a button. If you start removing bloat or installing custom roms then you have to make sure you have a backup of everything first. Once you do it's very simple.
Here's a video tutorial guide I put together. Actually watching the process of things being done in the videos is what helped me when I first started.

DroidX Guide to Rooting, Backing Up and Installing Custom Roms.

The Roms/Themes are only for the DroidX but everything else works for a Droid phone.

Reactions: Jaguarr40

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
No problem. Z4root unroots and roots with the press of a button. If you start removing bloat or installing custom roms then you have to make sure you have a backup of everything first. Once you do it's very simple.
Here's a video tutorial guide I put together. Actually watching the process of things being done in the videos is what helped me when I first started.

DroidX Guide to Rooting, Backing Up and Installing Custom Roms.

The Roms/Themes are only for the DroidX but everything else works for a Droid phone.

CW... Thank you very much and I will watch the video tonight when I get home from work and will for sure stay in touch with you, I have added you and several others to my contact list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332