[ROM][MOD][4.4.2][EXPERIMENTAL] KitKat OS2SD

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's there, just not showing up. This is a known issue. The solution was posted three or four pages back.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Been following this and all the stuff about kitkat on Opti S virtually since the beginning. Just thinking out loud here: where are the major space problems that make the OS2SD solution necessary? I'm trying to compare this to my setup with REBORN rom on my Opti S. Annoyed that I didn't have space for apps I wrote a script that with bindmounts so that my cache and dalvik-cache are in my 2GB /data/sdext2 partition (I only have vfat and this partitioned on my SD) and then used Link2SD to move apps and lib application and library files over to that partition (most anyway. I keep some that work better on my internal). I had been using Link2SD exclusively, but found that when I wiped my dalvik, all the dalvik links to SD would reset and my internal would completely fill/overflow because of the 126 apps I have installed--bindmounting with scripts just solves this problem. If something were to be similarly possible with this rom (i.e. having only vfat, sdext2, and maybe system if necessary on SD) you'd have one less partition and a little more freedom with what you do with apps, allowing some to stay internal. Just my thoughts. Sorry for the long post. =(

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Been following this and all the stuff about kitkat on Opti S virtually since the beginning. Just thinking out loud here: where are the major space problems that make the OS2SD solution necessary? I'm trying to compare this to my setup with REBORN rom on my Opti S. Annoyed that I didn't have space for apps I wrote a script that with bindmounts so that my cache and dalvik-cache are in my 2GB /data/sdext2 partition (I only have vfat and this partitioned on my SD) and then used Link2SD to move apps and lib application and library files over to that partition (most anyway. I keep some that work better on my internal). I had been using Link2SD exclusively, but found that when I wiped my dalvik, all the dalvik links to SD would reset and my internal would completely fill/overflow because of the 126 apps I have installed--bindmounting with scripts just solves this problem. If something were to be similarly possible with this rom (i.e. having only vfat, sdext2, and maybe system if necessary on SD) you'd have one less partition and a little more freedom with what you do with apps, allowing some to stay internal. Just my thoughts. Sorry for the long post. =(
Welcome to mod up the internal builds.
I like the OS2SD because of zero linking scripts and tons of space... plus I've been aiming at running ROMs off the SD card since Gingerbread.
/system doesn't really have enough space for everything needed in it on an internal install if you use gapps and crossbreeder together, and that's only one mod on top of gapps.
The build has to be cut about 15-20Mb smaller than cm stock just to fit what is needed in /system on our phones.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to mod up the internal builds.
I like the OS2SD because of zero linking scripts and tons of space... plus I've been aiming at running ROMs off the SD card since Gingerbread.
/system doesn't really have enough space for everything needed in it on an internal install if you use gapps and crossbreeder together, and that's only one mod on top of gapps.
The build has to be cut about 15-20Mb smaller than cm stock just to fit what is needed in /system on our phones.

That makes sense. For me personally, I've never owned a phone newer than my Optimus S (penny pincher, plus with the work you guys do, what need have I for anything else, right?). Since It's my only phone, and considering the...
Known Issues (in addition to those listed in the regular cm11 thread):

Certain apps won't install to the sd-ext data partition
formatting/backup/restore issues
possible reduced performance
possible reduced battery life
...I keep convincing myself to wait on flashing. Also, considering the utter lack of knowledge I have at scripting (I just cut and paste from other scripts then yell "help!" in the general direction of the true devs when it doesn't work... lazy yes I know) there's little hope I'll be able to get anything decent together. From what I've seen of balancing running things off internal and sdext2 via scripts, my battery is great, the only real performance hit I've notice is in bootup (which is expected with 100+ apps on SD), and I've got the flexibility of keeping 10 or so stubborn apps on my internal when they're disagreeable to SD. Best of both SD use and functionality similar to typical installation.

I may just bite the bullet and buy an extra Optimus S so I can tinker, but my tinkering would be in terms of months with my know how, so i was really just curious if anyone else wanted to pick up the idea and run with it. Otherwise, at least for me personally, there's still too many dealbreakers for me flash either the OS2SD or the other kitkat build on my only phone.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just trying to get a clearer picture of what's going on.. Data should work off the get go as long as your on zvd or zvd based radios in the case of virgin mobile.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mtbierkan

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
there is an old patch to allow Opt S owners run Opt V roms, i wonder if that would work. I'm pretty sure I had data when I first installed the ROM, then I came home and put on wifi and I think data stopped after that. I tried airplane mode on/off, and tried to get APN's but none that I tried made any difference.

anon(793715)

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I have data connection issues with any Jellybean ROM - I've tried Slimrom, BeanWhiz and JBC 4.2 and had issues with all, sometimes requiring multiple reboots to get data to reconnect after being on wifi.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have data connection issues with any Jellybean ROM - I've tried Slimrom, BeanWhiz and JBC 4.2 and had issues with all, sometimes requiring multiple reboots to get data to reconnect after being on wifi.

I knew of this but haven't seen it on the kk builds till now

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk