[ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014

stickmonster

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: [ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 10/14/2013

Hi!

I want to switch to this rom, coming from DanteRom (ZVJ) and Cannibal Open Touch 1.2. I'd rather just downgrade the radio once and for all rather that applying the patches after the rom install.

Can I just use COT to flash the ZVD update from sprint, and then flash the rom? Do I need to re-root? How?

Sorry for the silly questions. I've tried to read as much as I can, but a lot of the instructions for this kind of stuff are really old and refer to obsolete basebands, recoveries and roms, and it's hard for a noob like me to figure out what still applies. :)

Thanks!

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Please explain what you wiped and formatted in the recovery for a clean install, and with what recovery. I suspect it's a combinaton of the recovery (probably the Xionia) and maybe your not formatting the boot, cache, data, system, and sd ext (found in the mounts and storage section). It could also be you had a few partitions that became mounted during the wipe procedure and you didn't catch it when you went to format (happened to me a coulpe of times).
If you using the Xionia you need to wipe and format everything but the sd card 3 times.

To me his post sounds like he's got one of the few ov that just won't charge on 4.0+ I've seen enough posts about it to know there are a few that won't. I think Squid kernel may fix it but it's just a guess. I'll be following along to see how it goes.

Tapatalk'n Squid style! Android 4.2.2 JBC on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Hi!

I want to switch to this rom, coming from DanteRom (ZVJ) and Cannibal Open Touch 1.2. I'd rather just downgrade the radio once and for all rather that applying the patches after the rom install.

Can I just use COT to flash the ZVD update from sprint, and then flash the rom? Do I need to re-root? How?

Sorry for the silly questions. I've tried to read as much as I can, but a lot of the instructions for this kind of stuff are really old and refer to obsolete basebands, recoveries and roms, and it's hard for a noob like me to figure out what still applies. :)

Thanks!

Flash Xionia recovery, wipe everything, flash zvd downgrade, reboot, flash zvd downgrade again from your now stock recovery, reboot, root zvd with gingerbreak, flash cot 2.1..... Just to sum it up quickly. I'm sure there's a good guide on here somewhere if you need better details.

Last edited:

stickmonster

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Flash Xionia recovery, wipe everything, flash zvd downgrade, reboot, flash zvd downgrade again from your now stock recovery, reboot, root zvd with gingerbreak, flash cot 2.1..... Just to sum it up quickly. I'm sure there's a good guide on here somewhere if you need better details.

I was hoping not to have to switch recoveries. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. To install Xionia I have to use adb? There's no update.zip if you already have a custom recovery?

KevMon

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

What an adventure this is!

I'm following AndyOpie150's instructions from post #47 to do the initial install. After choosing the TouchWiz Theme it says "Sorry, this theme is missing assets for your device's screen size." Is that normal? If not what should it do?

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

What an adventure this is!

I'm following AndyOpie150's instructions from post #47 to do the initial install. After choosing the TouchWiz Theme it says "Sorry, this theme is missing assets for your device's screen size." Is that normal? If not what should it do?

Yep, it's normal, hit apply anyway and continue. :)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Oops! Sorry about that. Will have to edit those instructions to include that.

tomwrn8

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Hi again, thanks for the reply.

I'm using CWM recovery. Before flashing a rom, i wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, and dalvik cache.
(In recent installs, I've also added format cache, data & system. I've even repartitioned my SD card with swap and ext4 partition.)

I've experimented with about 5 ROMs from ICS and JB including cm-9.1.0.VM670.BobZhome.09302012, OM-Mandylion-20121125, Harmonia_2.08_OV, alpha10F-cm9-LS670-kraven-signed, VM670_kernel_MiRaGe_04262013. I've had problems with charging on a bunch of them and have since been running a stable older OS (CM7-BEAUTY SENSE - i think its Android 2.2).

I'd be fine with the older OS if I didn't keep running into app install issues related to space/permission issues that don't seem to be valid. And some newer apps seem to require ICS or better to install. Anyway, as mentioned in my original post, I know the charging issue is software related, not hardware since it works perfectly with older roms.

I don't think I've ever formatted the sd ext (guess it didn't seem relevant to the core OS). I'm not using Xionia but should i try wipe and formatting 3x for each of the steps? I'll do it if you really think it will make a difference.

Being a relative newb to the rom world, my take on the problem is a conflict between the OS/rom and my hardware, the equivalent of a device on a computer running without the correct driver. It doesn't work without the correct communication/translation between software and hardware. So I would guess that maybe a tweak exists to repair communication between the two?

I'm interested in thewraith420's suggestion that a different kernel may resolve the problem. More info on that or other suggestions? All help and comments are appreciated.
Any rom you would suggest for the VM 670 that are ICS or better?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-cm10-updated-10-14-2013-a-3.html#post3163105

If you follow the instructions to the letter you will have great success with the ROM (innovative thinking with the instructions will only get you in trouble with this ROM).

If coming from a GingerBread ROM then try to restore as many apps as possible from the PlayStore. There are to many that have version differences (some versions only work in Gingerbread and vice a versa) that might mess up the ROM.
This means it would be a good idea to write down all your downloaded apps (menu/settings/applications/downloaded).

stickmonster

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I've got it up and running. So far, so good. It looks really nice and seems to work really well. A giant thank you to AndyOpie, and of course TheKraven and the hundreds of other people that have contributed to the community. With everyone pitching in and building on the work of others it's amazing what we end up with.

Thank you!

tomwrn8

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Hi AndyOpie150, was that last post directed at me or was it just general instructions?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Hi AndyOpie150, was that last post directed at me or was it just general instructions?
Yes.
This ROM is kind of picky.
It took me quite a while to figure out the best way to flash the ROM and set it up properly. It really has to be done as described, or there will be little glitches down the road.
Anytime you flash a ROM you need to format the boot, cache, data, system, and definetely the SD ext as well.
Also:
What I mentioned about the apps hold very true as well. Be careful with updates too. I had an update to an app that caused the ROM to display a low on space warning constantly, and showed it was low on space in the settings.
I installed a previous version, rebooted and all was well. This is why I use Root Uninstaller (it actually ain't that good at uninstalling anything, I use Link2SD for that). It auto backs up every installed app to a folder on the SD card in it's apk form.
When the update to the app I mentioned borked the ROM, I just went to the Root Uninstaller folder on the SD card, selected the auto backup folder and then installed the older version of the app from there.

Last edited:

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Well, things have finally been running smoothly, AndyOpie150, but I'm curious: have you or anyone else had a problem with apps being removed from the homescreen after rebooting the device from recovery? That gets to be annoying to keep putting those apps BACK onto the homescreen...I've never even seen this sort of thing happen before.

Brantheman22

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm getting a '(bad)' notice when attempting to install the rom in recovery.. any ideas?
Using VM670NH_recovery.img, I have a gb rom on here now, so this is my first attempt at switching roms. Very inexperienced. Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Well, things have finally been running smoothly, AndyOpie150, but I'm curious: have you or anyone else had a problem with apps being removed from the homescreen after rebooting the device from recovery? That gets to be annoying to keep putting those apps BACK onto the homescreen...I've never even seen this sort of thing happen before.

Kept happening to me too, although, if i would reboot from titanium backup, everything was fine. I love this rom, but had to give up on it because of very poor 3g, i don't have wifi, so it broke the deal, but if ever a 3g fix comes about, i'd jump right back to this rom as my daily.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Those are apps that you have on the SD card right? Not linked with Link2SD, just moved to the SD.
If this is correct, link them or move them to the internal storage and they will be fine. This ROM doesn't like apps to be just moved to the SD card, you have to link them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha