Rooting / rom question

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if I am asking this in wrong forum but it's a subject that I know zero about and I am not sure where to begin. anywho...

I heard the Note 3 has a locked boot-loader? ... and that means it can't be rooted? yes? no?
So if Yes, is this just until they find a work-around? or it may Never be able to be rooted?

I am asking because I went to my brothers house today showing him my Moto X and how awesome it was and he has a Note 2 that has been rooted and rom'd with (asop?)
Basically he had raw android with some icon "skin" and the phone was SO FAST!

There was a stutter or hitch anywhere the whole time I was messing with it.. I was jealous lol. Not that my Moto lags, but his 5.5" screen and his phone running smooth as butter.
impressed to say the least.

My idea is Note and have it rooted and rom'd like his. If possible.

Thanks for any shared knowledge on this.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
According to this thread (http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-samsung-galaxy-note-3/321436-t-note-rooted.html), the AT&T Note 3 has been rooted, but th ebootloader was still locked. I'm not up to speed with the Note 3, so take a look at that thread and follow the sources included in it.

Keep in mind that rooting may void your warranty. Samsung has apparently included a root counter called Knox (in addition to the standard flash counter) that keeps track of a rooted device. If you never worry about sending devices in for repair, then it likely doesn't matter. Like any root exploit, expect it to be patched in future updates to the device.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to root the phone to get rid of the bloat and carrier tracking programs, then re-enable all the security provisions? I am new to android and I do not want to install an app that is allowed admin access because I rooted. But, the first thing I do with my phones is to uninstall the stock apps. At least with my WP I was able to immediately remove all the ATT and HTC crap apps I wanted. I find it shocking that I have to root the new android I am going to get, just so I can do that same thing. This seems counter intuitive to the "android lets you customize more" mantra that is always heard. Its not going to sway me from android for this round, but its still annoying.

RockyMehta

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. I was forced to move to Android due to a few apps I needed that were not on WP yet. Android can actually do most of what my Nokia could do but needs a lot of work including rooting to make it happen.

The app selection is awesome though.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. I was forced to move to Android due to a few apps I needed that were not on WP yet. Android can actually do most of what my Nokia could do but needs a lot of work including rooting to make it happen.

The app selection is awesome though.

Very interested to know what rooting will give you on your android to match your old nokia.

RockyMehta

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
The most important ability for me will be to remove the apps added by ATT and Samsung you don't want. I have not had the time to do mine yet my son has done his S4.

One advantage of the note 3 is that it has beefier specs so can handle the bloatware better.

I am still looking for something that can duplicate my Lumia's ability to read and respond to text messages by voice in the car via Bluetooth without having to remember to enable anything. I also miss the awesome voice recognition it has for picking the right contact when I say call [name] on mobile. The voice recognition on the note is horrible especially when it comes to foreign names.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Did not know wp8 could do that much with voice. I am screwed and stuck on WP7.8 since I bought my WP 10 months too early and was left out in the cold for the next year+. I had to update mine to 7.8 myself because HTC and ATT were never going to release the update. Probably still have not done it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiny_2084