S pen eject mechanism is garbage

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My S pen is stuck inside phone once again. Same thing happened with my note 5 S pen, I had to get 2 replacement pens for the note 5, then the last few months of owning the N5 my pen was stuck again 3rd time) so I gave up on using it. The spring clicking eject design is crap and was carried over to the Note 7. I had high hopes the N7 Spen was designed a little different internally, now I see it was not.

I had a feeling my S pen with going to do this by the way it was acting on last use. It wasn't clicking consistently before I placed it back in phone.

I will get the S pen out, I have to bang the phone on my palm and fiddle with pen for about 5 minutes and I usually get lucky retreving pen, I have plenty of practice from the Note 5 method. Only problem is, that method Is not very practical for daily use lol.

Anyone else fight with this pen design?? I love the phone, S pen not so much, it sucks. I wish there was a better aftermarket solution to the s pen. I want the old school non clicking PDA style.

I even tried graphite powder on my N5 S pen and it still malfunctioned. I heard it was/is common issue with N5.

Last edited by a moderator:

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
"Stuck Note 7 S pen" nets a fair amount of complaints on Google and videos.

Very sad it is indeed. I had it happen enough with N5, I wish this spen issues arose before I got my recall replacement device , it would have made my replacement device decision much easier.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm not having this problem buy my S-Pen clicker is pretty loose feeling.
I called Samsung and the only way they will send me a new/replacement S-Pen is for me to mail this one back first and wait an eternity for them to send me a new one. WTF is up with that.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is fine, both on the original and my replacement. Kept the original S-pen when I did the exchange so I have two good ones, luckily it seems.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My first Note 7 had this EXACT problem and it would really make me angry. Luckily, my new one with the replacement has such a crisp click and I haven't had the problem once. It's definitely hit or miss on these pens for whatever reason.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
My first Note 7 had this EXACT problem and it would really make me angry. Luckily, my new one with the replacement has such a crisp click and I haven't had the problem once. It's definitely hit or miss on these pens for whatever reason.

This! My first note 7 had this problem (black onyx) my replacement is working flawlessly. (black onyx)

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
If you can get the s-pen out you may try using small bit of graphite powder to help it operate freely. (it's a dry lubricant that's commonly used in locks and does not attract dirt) don't use allot and try not the get it in any of the ports (Caution - Graphite is conductive)

I did like the s-pen in the Note Edge.

Cheers,
BR

ahhChu

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue with my recalled N7 but I think it happened because I got sand in it? It started happening after a trip to the beach. *Knock on wood* So far I have not had any issues with the SPen on the safe N7. I would have to get something sharp like a flattened staple and fork it out.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If you can get the s-pen out you may try using small bit of graphite powder to help it operate freely. (it's a dry lubricant that's commonly used in locks and does not attract dirt) don't use allot and try not the get it in any of the ports (Caution - Graphite is conductive)

I did like the s-pen in the Note Edge.

Cheers,
BR
Ya I mentioned the use of graphite powder in OP. I think after they start going bad their is no hope :(.

I know it not a perfect world but considering the last note 5 S pen non release issues for a percentage of folks,. now the N7 and for a near 1k price tag, there shouldn't be a semi common issue with the pens. Plain ol lazy of Samsung to not redesign pen on this phone release.

On a positive, I do love the phone :),

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Ya I mentioned the use of graphite powder in OP. I think after they start going bad their is no hope :(.

I know it not a perfect world but considering the last note 5 S pen non release issues for a percentage of folks,. now the N7 and for a near 1k price tag, there shouldn't be a semi common issue with the pens. Plain ol lazy of Samsung to not redesign pen on this phone release.

On a positive, I do love the phone :),

You did at that, Somehow i missed it. :) Awesome phone and I really like as well.

Cheers,
BR

billyhousemover

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Mine started acting like it wanted to get stuck as well. I noticed the pen clicks a little different than it used too. Is it the pen that's the problem or the slot that it slides in to?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Twice now mine has not wanted to come out...like it's stuck. I've been able to get it out but it does have me a little concerned. I think both times my screen may have been off when it happened.

I didn't know this so sorry if I'm sharing something commonly known...but if you click the pen before inserting it it goes into its slot much easier/smoother (IMO anyway). I have mine set to vibrate on inserting and removing so I know it's definitely in place (in case you were wondering if it might fall back out).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45