S21 Can i receive notifications after startup without unlocking?

scg1889

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys hope you can help i've just gone from an S8 to S21 and one small issue i've found is that after the phone has been switched on no notifications come through until i've unlocked it after startup. Is there a way around this? I'm well aware i'm in First World Pains territory here but I'm trying to have less screen time so I don't usually want to get right on my phone first thing after I wake up unless there's a notification and on my S8 they used to come through when i started the phone, now they won't come through until i've done an initial unlock.

any help welcomed, cheers.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I don't think the developers think much about the case where users switch their phone off overnight. Have you considered setting up "Do not disturb" on your phone instead? I have it set up on my phone so I do not hear or see any notifications overnight.

scg1889

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yeh i get there's a security aspect to it and i'd not expect to be able to read my notifications until i unlocked it (like any other time of day) but i'd just like to KNOW there are notifications after I power it on without having to unlock it initially much the same way as S8 was. It's probably not the worst aspect of my life right now, just be nice for one less swipe a day ;-)

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
How long are you waiting after you turn it on? It takes some time to connect to the network and then the servers. A minute or two maybe depending on signal strength?

Since I really don't shut mine off just a wild guess.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You used to be able to turn off device encryption, but they seem to have (wisely) removed the option.

Honestly Do Not Disturb is the best option, as said above. There isn't really a benefit to turning your phone off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the developers think much about the case where users switch their phone off overnight.

Considering how many phones (not just Samsung) have a feature to automatically restart the phone on a schedule (typically overnight), this is probably something that ought to be addressed, though. I suspect app developers wouldn't have any control over this, since it would seem to be more of a system issue.

It would be interesting to hear from people who do use the automatic restart option overnight to see if they also have problems missing notifications until they unlock the phone in the morning.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You used to be able to turn off device encryption, but they seem to have (wisely) removed the option.

Honestly Do Not Disturb is the best option, as said above. There isn't really a benefit to turning your phone off.
I never turned off any of my phones.

Last edited:

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't you think that feature is a security feature to protect users. your phone coming on from cold boot up should be authorized to load apps which protects your data if your device gets lost or stolen

if you set up device care and all the other DND features on the device, you will find you dont need to switch off your phone when you go to bed because the devices are now intelligent enough to mute notifications once the device becomes aware you are not active

i have my smart watch connected to my phone and once i go to sleep, all my notifications are muted and i only start getting audio notifications when i wake up and start moving. if i wake up and i dont move, the notification stay muted

i have auto restart setup as part of my device care suite and on days the device restarts, nothing kicks in except connection to mobile network until i wake up and sign into the phone

Last edited by a moderator:

scg1889

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments guys. sounds like i'm pretty old school switching off my phone :) certainly the S8 was slower than say the S5 for getting notifications through after start up but yeh the S21 is definitely no notifications until I unlock it - i could say not unlock it for an hour, and then the second i do i get all my notifications. I can certainly live with it, just wondered if there was a setting i'm missing but sounds like not unless i leave on and go for DND. Thanks for all your help

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments guys. sounds like i'm pretty old school switching off my phone :) certainly the S8 was slower than say the S5 for getting notifications through after start up but yeh the S21 is definitely no notifications until I unlock it - i could say not unlock it for an hour, and then the second i do i get all my notifications. I can certainly live with it, just wondered if there was a setting i'm missing but sounds like not unless i leave on and go for DND. Thanks for all your help

You're not alone. Until last week my husband was turning his s10+ off every night. We were trying to problem solve another issue so I talked him into leaving the phone on. I started to explain the 'Do Not Disturb' feature & he decided just to mute the phone each night.

He made that easy... :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter