S3 SD Card Not Mounting

cmc61

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this, so take it easy if I mess up

I went to transfer some files the other day and my phone wouldn't connect via USB. I tried a few times but nothing worked. I was in a rush so I didn't worry about it. later there was a message saying my SD card was unexpectedly ejected. Again, was in a rush and wasn't paying attention. Today I tried to access my music but couldn't. I looked under storage setting and my device says I need to mount my SD card. I can still use all the apps that are stored on the card (except Spotify), but can't access any files. I can connect via Andriod File Transfer to my Mac, but only the phone side shows up, not the SD side. Also, when I connect the phone itself doesn't mount. I read that you can try to unmount it from Disk Utility, but it doesn't show up there. Tired manually removing, reinserting, restarting, updating software. Everything I've seen online suggests the card may be corrupted, but that doesn't make sense since I can still access all the apps. There's not even a way for me to reformat the SD card because it's not showing up anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions other than Bluetooth and Kies? Ideally I'd like to be able to recover what's on the card, but mostly I want to make sure it's functional in my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You might consider removing the SD card, inserting it into your computer and backing up the data, then reformatting the card on your computer. If you decide to do this, I'd first move all apps that you had moved to the SD card back to phone storage, because I'm not sure how those apps would behave if you reformatted the card and then transferred the data back onto them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions. Samsung is somewhat notorious for SD card problems, with some people having their cards corrupted by the device.