Samsung Galaxy A50 wont charge from car USB

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Can anyone help please?

I have a new Samsung Galaxy A50. The phone charges fine through a battery pack and when plugged into a mains' socket. However, when I try to charge it through the car's USB, the phone's charging icon constantly moves between charging and not charging in a regular cycle. My old phone will still charge through the car's USB perfectly. I am using an official Samsung cable.

I have phoned Samsung who seem to think the phone is incompatible with my car and there's nothing they can do!

I have cleared all data re USB Settings but it still won't work.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?😁

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
What is the rating of the connector/plug that goes into your car's power socket? I'm asking because my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900) requires 3.0mili-ampere-hour supply. One of my two connector/plugs is a 3.0mAh tyoe and the other is a 1.0mAh type.

Guess what, my Note 3 loses power (instead of gaining) when charging via the 1.0mAh plug...while it charges thoroughly and quickly via the 3.0mAh plug in my cars power outlet.

Check the rating of power for your:
> Phone
> Connector/plug
> Car's power outlet (check car manual for limits)

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Just rely on the connector (3.0mAh) + USB cable of your phone. I always use my Samsung USB charging cables because I can tell you one thing:

"Samsung phones know their cables and won't work well with cables of some other brands (remember the software drivers required for the USB cable?)"

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
3.0A, not m and not h. Current isn't h - that's the amount of time, and the Note 3 actually requires about 1.2A (3.0mA is .003A), but the A50 does require 3A, and the USB port in a car head unit usually can't supply that. The accessory socket can, with an appropriate car charger.

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
3.0A, not m and not h. Current isn't h - that's the amount of time, and the Note 3 actually requires about 1.2A (3.0mA is .003A), but the A50 does require 3A, and the USB port in a car head unit usually can't supply that. The accessory socket can, with an appropriate car charger.
@Rukbat thanks for correcting me there, I had a feeling I got something wrong there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No problem. 46 years of designing sometimes makes it seem trivial, where having learned about it once makes it difficult to remember even days later. (We actually had tests, many tests, on the meaning of measurement terms, when going for an EE degree - until we got sick of them. But they stick as well as my name does. When I forget the difference between A and Ah, between A and mA, I won't remember my name either.)

gs122

Apr 3, 2022
Visit site
The A50 seems to behave like this:

1. it needs to detect that a cable is connected first

2. Some cables are detectable, some are not

3. If it is a detectable cable, the screen will light up if you connect the cable passively, i.e. the other end is not connected to a USB host etc

4. I face this issue when trying to use wireless charging receivers

If anyone knows how to make it ignore cable detection, that shoul solve the problem

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos