Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Why is my half of my screen grey?

A

AC Question

Hello everyone,

My Note 4 has been acting up in past few days. When it goes on standby mode and I turn the phone back on by pressing the power button or the home button, half of my screen turns grey. (see screenshots) However, after a while of not using my phone or leaving it charging, the screen goes back to normal after turning it on.

I tried restarting my phone a couple of times to fix the issue while it was happening and then faced a different (perhaps related?) problem. My phone would turn off, and then not turn back on again. The blue indicator light would flash every few seconds but the phone would not turn on even if I had it plugged in charging. The way I solved this was by leaving the battery out for a few hours and then putting it back in. The phone would then turn on like it's supposed to. The grey screen problem still happens though. I'm definitely avoiding turning this phone back off.

One thing thats odd about this is that I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. When the screen is back to normal, I can use my phone for hours without the grey screen issue. Then the MOMENT I press the power button to put my phone on standby and then turn it back on, it has the grey scale problem.

The screen randomly fixes itself without me doing something. I pretty much turn it on and if it still has the problem I leave it on standby for a bit longer. I check it again, and suddenly it works. Sometimes I leave it charged, sometimes I don't. There seems no correlation between battery life or anything that I noticed and the problem starting or stopping.

If anyone can offer me any help, it'd be fantastic! I have searched everywhere for a similar issue but it seems as if I'm the first one to have this particular problem!

Respectfully,

Av

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

How long have you had the phone? I would definitely take it back to where you purchased it and have them look at it. You can take it to a BestBuy with a Samsung Experience and they could probably take a look at it for you as well.

cinnamonbelle

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Av,
Did you ever get this issue resolved? My Samsung Note 4 is doing the same thing. I was told by numerous cell phone stores to get a new LCD screen ($300) and that would solve the problem. Well it did not solve it... My phone has a new screen. Still doing it. Very frustrating

mystery mankind

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I'm relatively new on this forum so please excuse my newbie status. I am wondering whether anyone knows how to resolve this half grey screen issue? My note 4 suddenly developed this 'syndrome". A quick internet search suggests it's not a common issue? Any help will be much appreciated!😢

AceHandler

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Intuition says it's a result of a bad connection (especially as cinnamonbelle changed her screen and it didn't fix the problem - which would indicate that it's upstream in the wiring somewhere). Please post any successes to this issue, I have a Note IV as well (but haven't experience this particular problem, knock on wood).

mystery mankind

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I tried everything everyone has tried before (wipe partition, hard reset, uninstall recent app etc) to no avail. I called my Carrier now to report the issue and good news! My device is still covered by Samsung warranty so I am taking it in for repair or replacement. I will keep you posted.

PS i read on some other forums that the issue is loose connection or a busted EMMC chip which means a new motherboard! Either way it seems to be a random and common issue with the Samsung Galaxy note 4!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload05