Samsung Galaxy S3: WiFi connection problems since firmware upgrade

jede5518

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 wifi connection problems since firmware upgrade

Hi ! for any samsung galaxy s3 user who experiencing wifi connection problem with their linksys router, i just found a trick that working like a charm and no hassle at all, but i don't know would it works on other brand of routers or not but it worth to try, here is my phone specification :

samsung galaxy s3 ( sgh-t999v )
androin 4.1.2

THE TRICK IS !

go to http://192.168.1.1/
and then,
Wireless MAC Filter : Disable
and don't forget to save settings before exit, let me know if it works for you too, thanks

Shangeo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

My 2wire router was using WPA-PSK authentication. And when I changed it to WPA2-PSK my GS3 connected to wifi. Hope my phone stays connected. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim Beck1

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I have a Galaxy Tab that worked perfectly on my home wifi until I installed the 4.2.2 update that was pushed to the device. Now it can't obtain an IP address. Other devices continue to work just fine. How do I get 4.2.2 to work correctly??? Any suggestions are appreciated. PS How do you do a hard reset on this thing?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

PS How do you do a hard reset on this thing?
Well, if the Galaxy Tab is similar to the Galaxy S3, you can:
- boot into Recovery mode and do it there
- look in Settings -> Back up and reset -> Factory data reset

Regarding your Wi-Fi connection issue - you could go into Settings -> Wi-Fi and delete the connection to your router and then recreate it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

sbrandes

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I changed my Channel settings on my router from auto to fixed. Used channel 11. Hasn't Dropped for one hour! It would have dropped 30 times by now so hopefully this fixed the problem.

Hey, how many of you guys are having S3 connectivity problems using dual band 2.4/5G routers? and/or are trying to connect in areas with a lot of wifi networks nearby? .I as k b/c i think that either or both of these may be the source of my connectivity problems.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Used channel 11.
You may want to take a look at Wifi Analyzer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer - it'll allow you to compare the channel you're using to those used by anyone around you. Ideally you want your channel to be as isolated from all the others as possible.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

joeblow9104

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums... I just got an S3, upgraded to 4.1.2 and I now have the same problem everyone else has. I reset the router, changed the security protocols and passwords, nothing works.
Do we know when 4.3 will come out for the S3? Perhaps that will fix it??

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

joeblow9104,
Did you try setting the router to 'Open' security (i.e. no security)? If that works then you know it's just a security level issue, and the S3 is rather picky about that.

Did you perform a Factory Reset after updating to 4.1.2? It's usually a good idea to do that after a major update.

I wouldn't count on 4.3 to solve your problems - based on the International version issues, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Old Fogey

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

After trying everything else as suggested on this site I found one which said to go to "location Settings" and turn them all off.. Worked perfectly Now have no trouble connecting any longer.

DougPhillips1

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

I am having similar issues after upgrading to version 4.3 in my Samsung Galaxy S3. With 4.2.1, the WiFi priority worked well when moving from 3G/4G to a local known network. The WiFi indicator bars would light up indicating a connection to the local network. Also, my WiFi apps on the phone worked as well. Now, I have to put the phone in Airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on in order for the WiFi apps to work! Router brand/make make no difference. We setup Apple, Cisco, Luxul, On-Q (Asus), and D-link
As previous posts have said...VERY frustrating since I use those apps ALL THE TIME!!!! I setup home automation systems, networks, wired and wireless. This was not a problem until 4.3 was installed.
I am with AT&T...

Flipper3000

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

having the same issue. with the wifi problem......
3 things i have done to solve this i hope.
1. turn off network notification in wifi settings.
2. turn off auto network switch.
both of these on the phone.
3. in your routers setting if you have lots of routers in the area. change the channel number from auto or 1 to 6 or 11. save changes and reboot router.

this seem to solve the problems i was having.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

in your routers setting if you have lots of routers in the area. change the channel number from auto or 1 to 6 or 11. save changes and reboot router.
Or use something like Wifi Analyzer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer to determine which channels are in use and pick the one with the least overlap.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Breakfast McD

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Daniel, yes I have the same issue. It only happens on 2.4ghz frequency.

I upgraded my s3 to 4.3 recently. Now it receives very weak signal even though I have my phone next to the access point.

I have tried reflashing it with stock rom from other countries and also custom rom. None of them help my wifi.

Factory default, delete cache so many times.

I am kinda give up now. Perhaps it is the wifi card failed at the same time with firmware upgrade.

One interesting point during OTA upgrade was, I had 2 wifi profiles which I never created previously. They are called pccw1 and university of pccw1. I cant even delete them.

They were finally dissapear after I flash it using ODIN.

Ketim

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

This seems to be a jellybean issue. Every device in my house from Roku to four laptops and even my BluRay work on my router/modem combo. Every phone that was updated to jb now won't connect to wifi even though the connection is excellent in the wifi menu. I've done all the "tricks" posted by the users in these forums and the posters all seem to be lacking the general knowledge to fix this issue. Sometimes it will connect but loses the signal again almost immediately or it will say it's connected but it's not, not really. If you turn of your 4g the wifi won't connect to anything. Beware those that think they are connected.

*forgetting and re-searching brings up the same issue
*changing the frequency....nope (only intermittent connection)
*installing third party signal search apps, no
*reboot, taking battery out, reset on phone...no, no, no
*reset modem, no
*reset router, no
*setting the phone to only connect to good signals...well, my signal strength is at full so that doesn't work because that's not the problem. (whoever posted this fix was a little wacky and didn't read the issue)
*Changing the security on my router, no

I am not inexperienced when dealing with wifi or any other type of data connections. I have been repairing connections professionally for years and I'll tell you that this IS a jellybean issue. Maybe if enough of us complain the problem will get fixed. Otherwise our sp's are just collecting more $$ every time we go over our data plan limits (for those of us who have non-unlimited data plans). Mine is 2Gigs and I rely on my wifi not to put me over the limit. My daughter and husband have both gone over their limits since we all do a lot of work from our phones.

If anyone has a real fix please feel free to post it. If anyone hears from ATT or the other providers who are currently in active denial about it I'd like to hear from you too.

AJ

That's one of the best explanations I've found on the Web after an extensive research. It totally makes sense because not only the Samsung Galaxy S3 owners have reported issues with the WiFi connection. It would also clarify why Samsung and other major carriers have managed to avoid the bullet by stating that a kit Kat update will be soon released. It might imply that Google itself dropped the ball and the carriers had to bear with it, they depende on Google to get Android OS after all.

Ketim

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

After trying everything else as suggested on this site I found one which said to go to "location Settings" and turn them all off.. Worked perfectly Now have no trouble connecting any longer.

Believe it or not, this worked for me. I disabled it, tested the connection (it worked well) then I enabled it again and the WiFi connection was still estable. I can only presume that the location service was interfering with the WiFi connection.

mhintz89

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Have had the same problem. Galaxy s2 skyrocket, worked great on any network until 2 months ago. Suddenly won't connect to wifi. Not a router problem (wife's s3 and daughters nexus work as good as ever). Have tried all the fixes in this forum that I can find, but none work. HOWEVER, finally found a "fix". Turn off mobile network and it instantly connects to wifi. Turn it back on and it won't connect to wifi. Having to manually switch between wifi and mobile will be annoying, but it proves that it is NOT a router issue, as seems to be the most popular belief.

margiesanorjo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello good day
how can i fix my wifi connection in my samsung s3 korean version . The problem is if im 5meters away from wifi modem my connection is automatic disable . Then after a minute my wifi connection still alive . Then after minutw disable again.

noel watson

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi there. I have a samsung galaxy S3 mini. it is roughly 2 years old and was gifted to me by my wifes grandmother. However i live in nz and they live in northern ireland and my new zealand 2 degrees simcard would work, the phone needed to be unlocked. i went around the local network shops in my home town of nz and noone would unlock it as i do not have any proof of purchase. i tried downoading a sim unlock app on google play, i cant remember what the app was but it gave a unlock code. i turned off my phone, put in my 2degrees sim card and turned the phone back on. when i did this a screen came up asking for the sim unlock pin and i typed in the pin i got from the app. not only did it not work but i cant use my wifi on my phone now. it says it is connected but on the single bars there is a padlock so its not really connected. can anyone help me please??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak