Samsung Trade-in ... is this a scam or what???

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I ordered the S24U with my S22U trade-in, and after sending it my Trade-in, I got an email from Samsung claiming my S22U has a crack screen and they will charge me $200 for it. This is totally bogus because I took pictures of the phone before packaging it in the same box they delivered the S22U.

here are the facts
1. took pictures of S22U in mint condition (see trade-in 1 & trade-in 2, trade-in 3)
2. March 4, 2024 - returned the Trade-in using Samsung's FedEx return label, FedEx tracking says estimated delivery on March 8, 2024
3. March 8, 2024 - FedEx tracking says running late with no estimated delivery date given
4. March 12, 2024 - FedEx tracking says running late with no estimated delivery date given (see Mar12 - FedEx delay)
5. March 12, 2024 - got an email from Samsung saying they received my trade-in with a crack screen. they will charge me $200 (see Mar12 - Samsung email)

So, according to FedEx, the package has not been delivered, yet Samsung claims they have it with a cracked screen. The included three pictures (Back, front and bottom). There is no evident showing a crack on the front/back, and the bottom picture (stating cracked) is so blurry that you can not see anything (see samsung claim -back, samsung claim - front and samsung claim - bottom)

here is my question, does Samsung really have my Trade-in or it is some other phone? most importantly the bottom picture they provided does not show or prove anything.

i have read other postings about trade-in with FedEx never delivering the phone and other issues. now Samsung is really doing the same to me.

Attachments

• trade-in 3.jpg
    trade-in 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Mar12 - FedEx delay.png
    Mar12 - FedEx delay.png
    546.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Samsung claim - back.jpg
    Samsung claim - back.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Samsung claim-  front.jpg
    Samsung claim- front.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 7
  • Samsung claim - bottom.jpg
    Samsung claim - bottom.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 7
  • trade-in 1.jpg
    trade-in 1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • trade-in -2.jpg
    trade-in -2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
  • Mar12 Samsung email.png
    Mar12 Samsung email.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Absurd that their pic of cracked phone it's so bad you can't tell if it's a cracked phone. You have to where if they do this on purpose. Call Samsung and let them know you have pictures of your phone in mint condition when it was packaged & sent. They should credit you the $200. My return also took weeks to be delivered and finally got delivered today. Now waiting for the final clear.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Absurd that their pic of cracked phone it's so bad you can't tell if it's a cracked phone. You have to where if they do this on purpose. Call Samsung and let them know you have pictures of your phone in mint condition when it was packaged & sent. They should credit you the $200. My return also took weeks to be delivered and finally got delivered today. Now waiting for the final clear.
@tismydroid,

first off, i sincerely hope your trade-in will be good without any issues.

i have had bad experiences with FedEx in the past. I am actually surprised Samsung would use FedEx return label when they shipped my S22U using UPS which is more reliable than FedEx.

I had a loooong chat with Samsung Live chat and the agent was able to resolve their mistake with this email -
"We are happy to inform you that there will not be any chargeback related to your trade-in order #SAnnnnnnn . No further action
is needed at this point"

After the agent consulted with another team, she said
"I am really apologies for the inconvenience but it might be happened because at the trade in center there are many trade in device so might me wrong email shared with you"

so between the potential mistake from their trade-in center and FedEx not up-to-date tracking info, this could a bad combination for other unlucky customers who return their trade-ins using FedEx.

At least, i got their email confirming there will not be any chargeback, so i can relax a bit going forward....whew

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
I ordered the S24U with my S22U trade-in, and after sending it my Trade-in, I got an email from Samsung claiming my S22U has a crack screen and they will charge me $200 for it. This is totally bogus because I took pictures of the phone before packaging it in the same box they delivered the S22U.

here are the facts
1. took pictures of S22U in mint condition (see trade-in 1 & trade-in 2, trade-in 3)
2. March 4, 2024 - returned the Trade-in using Samsung's FedEx return label, FedEx tracking says estimated delivery on March 8, 2024
3. March 8, 2024 - FedEx tracking says running late with no estimated delivery date given
4. March 12, 2024 - FedEx tracking says running late with no estimated delivery date given (see Mar12 - FedEx delay)
5. March 12, 2024 - got an email from Samsung saying they received my trade-in with a crack screen. they will charge me $200 (see Mar12 - Samsung email)

So, according to FedEx, the package has not been delivered, yet Samsung claims they have it with a cracked screen. The included three pictures (Back, front and bottom). There is no evident showing a crack on the front/back, and the bottom picture (stating cracked) is so blurry that you can not see anything (see samsung claim -back, samsung claim - front and samsung claim - bottom)

here is my question, does Samsung really have my Trade-in or it is some other phone? most importantly the bottom picture they provided does not show or prove anything.

i have read other postings about trade-in with FedEx never delivering the phone and other issues. now Samsung is really doing the same to me.
When it comes to something like that here are a couple things to think about. First, if it's something I'm going to trade in don't relinquish control of your item until the time actually comes to do the trade.
Second, if you can't do it that way, such in your case it's through the mail, it becomes a case of you said they said. Even with pictures they can claim it was damage in shipping.
Third, if you have to send something like that through the mail, to protect yourself from something like you are going through, it's best to pay a few extra dollars to insure the package. That way if it does get damaged like they claim, the shipper pays for it.
Now the only thing you can do right now is up to you.
One, you could pay for the damage they claim. OR you can tell them to send it back. Now this would be my choice IF I made note of the items serial number somewhere. That way when you get it back you can compare the numbers and make sure it's the one you sent and if it's really broken.
I lay this out yo you because I was back east during Christmas one year and send some things to myself that way I didn't have to take them on the plane. I finally got the package, it was not the box I mailed. The contents were not all there. Some rare coins I had sent in the box were missing. When I called the shipper they claimed the box was left in the snow and fell apart so they had to repackage it. As for my missing coins they asked if I had proof I sent them in the box. They said the only way they would reimburse me is if I had insurance on the package AND THE INSURANCE COVERED THE VALUE OF THE ITEMS LOST. I had to chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Last edited:

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

here are the facts

Hi,

I hope this issue is/will be resolved for you. One thing I'll say (which may be bad news) that lately FedEx/UPS tracking has been hit or miss. i.e., there are times when packages that arrive to me and it still shows as delayed on their site since now they hire gig-workers to delivery packages (so it is possible that Samsung already has it even if FedEx says it wasn't delivered). The good news -- I hope -- is that you have the pictures to back up your claim of the phone's condition so I think they will wipe off the charge once you call them.

One word of advice though (for the future) when you post FedEx screenshots on here, you may want to blur you Name and Address Joe :) .

Reactions: B. Diddy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej