Screen mirroring

Hikyuuri

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a very crappy internet connection (7Mbps) that is shared between 8 people, including 2 young kids who constantly stream stuff from YouTube and Netflix. I also have a PLEX server, but I have it hosted at a different location which has a better internet connection.

I find myself using my cellphone screen more often than my TV to stream stuff from my PLEX server because I get better quality streams (1080P on my cellphone compared to 360P with constant buffering on my TV). My cell gets about 60Mbps+, so its connection is light-years better than my house DSL.

I have a Samsung TV and BluRay player, but both are too old to directly work with the cellphone's Screen Mirroring. I could get a new BluRay Player, but they are $100+ (Smart 3D BluRay players, that is).

I want to find something that allows me to screen mirror to my TV, but use my cellphone's data connection instead of my WiFi. I have an unlimited data plan (truly unlimited, I pushed over 80GB in one month), so that is not a concern.

I have looked at a ChromeCast, but my understanding is my cellphone has to be on the same WiFi network as the Chromecast, meaning my cellphone will use my crappy 7Mbps connection instead of its 60+Mbps connection. I need something that will allow my cellphone to use its data connection but still stream to the TV.

My parents have a newer BluRay player, and if I screen mirror to that, my cellphone still uses its cellular data to stream, so I know that is an option. But again, they are over $100, and I would like something cheaper.

What have people been able to successfully use with a S6 Edge, and do they have to be on WiFi to use it. Is it possible to force my cellphone to use its cellular data instead of WiFi even if I am connected to a WiFi network?

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually in the same boat as I just got my own place and looking to cut costs where ever it makes sense to and with my Metro PCS unlimited lte data plan and me getting 60Mbps+ would lead me to use it to stream movies from my phone to my HDTV. Problem though is that I can't use the hotspot feature as its limited to 6GB of lte in a month..

The only thing I think will work then is the micro USB to HDMI adapter found some on eBay for pretty cheap. Just not sure how well it'll work and will lose my surround sound but at least it should be better than watching on S6 Edge.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Hikyuuri

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Actually in the same boat as I just got my own place and looking to cut costs where ever it makes sense to and with my Metro PCS unlimited lte data plan and me getting 60Mbps+ would lead me to use it to stream movies from my phone to my HDTV. Problem though is that I can't use the hotspot feature as its limited to 6GB of lte in a month..

The only thing I think will work then is the micro USB to HDMI adapter found some on eBay for pretty cheap. Just not sure how well it'll work and will lose my surround sound but at least it should be better than watching on S6 Edge.

If you want, like I said with my original post, you can get a Samsung BluRay player that supports WiFi direct screen mirroring. Whatever is on your cellphone screen will cast to the TV, including Netflix or Youtube. And, since it is WiFi direct, it will use your Cellular dataplan instead of your house internet.

I know this would work for me, but like I said, I have a 3D TV, so I would need a 3D BluRay player that supports the screen mirroring, which they start at about $100. If you don't have a 3DTV, you can get a Samsung BluRay player for about $50 to $60 or so.

I just don't want to get a new BluRay player when the $200 one I have still works fine, minus the screen mirroring. Thats why I was interested in a Chromecast or something like that which is cheaper.

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
If you have unlimited data you can stream from your phone as a wifi hotspot. I will include a link that explains how.
I don't have unlimited hotspot..like I said.

Does the bluray player need hotspot to work or support the app I use to stream movies?

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem is clearly your current WiFi network. Why not upgrade the wireless router to handle multiple streams and more bandwidth, turn on your QoS functionality to prioritize your streams, or just setup another wifi network. Clearly you should have priority over your kids.

Why go through all the hassle of a workaround if things aren't broken?