SD card in phone suddenly not working properly - am I doing something wrong?

McB40

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
I bought a second hand 2017 Samsung Galaxy A3 (plus a 256gb micro SD card) with the intentions of turning it into a dedicated MP3 player. The first SD card I bought was a cheap, generic one from Amazon, which turned out to be fake. I then bought a Samsung-brand card, which I thought was working fine until this evening.

I had transferred 30,000 songs to it a couple of days ago, and I've been using it heavily since. It works great. However, I tried to add a couple of additional albums to the card today and that's where the issues have started. With my phone and SD card connected to my PC, when I try to transfer files to the card (either by dragging the files directly or by copying and pasting) nothing happens. Not even an error message. There's no indication at all that the action has registered.

With the SD card window open, there are about 1400 artist folders displayed. Now when I click on any of them, there are no albums or songs inside, just the "this folder is empty" text. This panicked me a bit initially, but the files are actually all still there. I can open the music player on the phone and play any one of them just fine.

I've done a bit of troubleshooting with little success. I've restarted both the PC and the phone. I also enabled 'Show hidden files, folders and drivers,' with no luck. Weirdly, I can open an artist folder and switch back between hiding and showing hidden files, which then causes the albums to show up. The albums will be empty, but then if I switch back between hiding and showing hidden files again this will sometimes cause the songs to show up. However, this does not seem to work consistently with every artist or album. Again, this has no impact on my phone's music player's ability to play any of the songs. That still works fine.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is there anything else I could try, or have I become the victim of a duff card again? If it is a duff card, is there any way I could back up the MP3s on it despite the issues I'm having? I only ask because I've spent a good bit of time changing some of the MP3 tags through the phone's music player, and I don't want to lose my progress if at all possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Cards that are branded with recognizable names can still be counterfeit. If the seller was anyone besides Samsung, a major retailer like Best Buy, or "sold and shipped by Amazon," then there's still a chance it's counterfeit. Depending on the phone you have, this app might be able to give you more information on the card: SD Insight

It's also possible the card just got corrupted, in which case there may not be much you can do about the data. Have you already tried unmounting the card, removing it, and inserting it into your PC's card reader?

Last edited:

McB40

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

My second card was also from Amazon. I ended up returning it and I bought a card from a major retail store, but I still had the exact same problem. I took your advice and used the PC's card reader instead, and that seems to work. Is there a reason why that works and having the card in the phone doesn't? I wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference.

Thanks again!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

My second card was also from Amazon. I ended up returning it and I bought a card from a major retail store, but I still had the exact same problem. I took your advice and used the PC's card reader instead, and that seems to work. Is there a reason why that works and having the card in the phone doesn't? I wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference.

Thanks again!
Hi, welcome to AC!

So it reads in the computer not in the phone , might be corrupt.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How full is the card now? If you delete a good chunk of that data, does it go back to working normally? I wonder if this has something to do with a glitch in how Windows interfaces with the SD card via USB connection, perhaps depending on the size of the card.

McB40

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks!

I initially formatted the card, and have scanned it since with no issues showing up. If it was corrupted would it be functioning as well as it is (i.e. playing all my music just fine)?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

I initially formatted the card, and have scanned it since with no issues showing up. If it was corrupted would it be functioning as well as it is (i.e. playing all my music just fine)?
Sorry for the late reply. Corrupted cards can sometimes be fixed after a format. Sometimes plugging in a PC and using checkdisk can fix it too. After both the card would seem to work fine. I just have avoided using SD cards as a form of storage unless I am forced to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz