SD card too slow for use as internal storage

calz2525

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to format my microSD card as internal storage but it says:
This SD card is too slow for use an internal storage.
To format an SD card as internal storage, try using an UHS Speed Class 3 SD card.

I have used a Samsung Evo Class 10 SD card and also a UHS speed 3 SanDisk card as well but still get the same message. I have seen elsewhere that people receive a message that it recommends that the SD card may be slow but it still allows it to be formatted (and this is with a class 10 sd card)

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to format my microSD card as internal storage but it says:
This SD card is too slow for use an internal storage.
To format an SD card as internal storage, try using an UHS Speed Class 3 SD card.

I have used a Samsung Evo Class 10 SD card and also a UHS speed 3 SanDisk card as well but still get the same message. I have seen elsewhere that people receive a message that it recommends that the SD card may be slow but it still allows it to be formatted (and this is with a class 10 sd card)
I got that message when I set my SanDisk Extreme Pro card as internal. I just clicked through and did it anyway. That was in November. Haven't had any trouble.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Class 10 Sony card, my A9 gave me the same BS but it did work after several retries and MANY minutes. I noticed that the phone performed much worse with the card installed and configured as adoptable storage so I reset my phone and did not reinstall the card again. AT&T HTC One A9 running the 120815 ROM still. Maybe the newer ROM will fix this bad performance if I ever get to find out.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Class 10 Sony card, my A9 gave me the same BS but it did work after several retries and MANY minutes. I noticed that the phone performed much worse with the card installed and configured as adoptable storage so I reset my phone and did not reinstall the card again. AT&T HTC One A9 running the 120815 ROM still. Maybe the newer ROM will fix this bad performance if I ever get to find out.

Has to be u3 not just class 10

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, I'll have to look at my Amazon purchase history to see if I bought a U3 card or not. Thanks for the tip.

Im sure it was u1 super slow upload speeds as those are the common cheapo cards out there.

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Im sure it was u1 super slow upload speeds as those are the common cheapo cards out there.

You could be right. I only saw that it was a class 10 Sony card. I had no idea about U1 vs. U3...

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
U3 doesn't exist as far as I know in cards larger then 64gb but let me know if you find one

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
U3 doesn't exist as far as I know in cards larger then 64gb but let me know if you find one

The card I bought was just 32GB, if I get another card it will also be just 32GB. If I see a larger one I'll let you know. :)

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh ok cuz I was looking for a 128 or 256 u3 6 months ago and no luck

The front page of AC yesterday had an article about a super fast U3 Class 10 SD card, 256GB in size. It was a Sandisk card. :)

Fred4738

Feb 3, 2019
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung 64 gb class 10 U3 sd card and my Moto E4 says it is too slow to use for internal memory. What gives?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung 64 gb class 10 U3 sd card and my Moto E4 says it is too slow to use for internal memory. What gives?
To be honest, you're better off leaving the card formatted as external storage. SD cards are not designed to handle the near constant read and writes that happen worth Android (internal storage is designed for it), and will cause the card to fail relatively quickly. When that happens, you'll lose any data stored on it, including app data. You'll also lose some performance, as even the best SD cards are slower than the internal storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii