[?] SDK and ADB

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have no clue what I am doing!! I just rooted my phone the night before last using gingerbreak one-click I assumed everything I needed was already loaded because I rooted successfully. I have SU and can download root required apps but when I went to us my SDK and ADB I can't even get the SDK manager to open on my comp. I tried to use the command on the cmd and it gives me error messages. Please help me!!!

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you cd to the correct directory where your sdk tools are before attempting the commands...
ex. cd c:\window\...\platform-tools
oh. and adb is in platform-tools folder, not the tools folder. if these folders don't exist then open the sdk program and run the update for everything. once it is finished then you will have the appropriate folders to use the adb/sdk

Reactions: brittiny

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The guide I am following says I should beable to type adb devices and some stuff should pop up but I keep getting error messages.

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
The guide I am following says I should beable to type adb devices and some stuff should pop up but I keep getting error messages.

That will only work if you have added the "platform tools" folder to the windows path environment variable. Otherwise you have to be located in the exact directory as basketthis pointed out.

Basically add the correct line from the options below to your windows path variable.

;C:\Android\platform-tools
;C:\Program Files\Android\platform-tools

The first line is if you installed the SDK directly to C:\Android. The second line is if you just kept hitting "next" and let it install where it felt like.

Edit: Oh and if you don't know what the "windows path environment variable" is then Google it and you should find plenty of info.
Edit2: For Win7 users do the following: Click start menu icon>Right click "Computer">Click "properties">Click "Advanced system settings">Click "Environment Variables...">Click on the Variable "path" and click edit>Scroll to the far right of the variable then copy and paste one of the lines above without spaces.

Last edited:

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok well I pretty much have that figured out but now I am stuck in one spot. I got the su command to work on cmd earlier but now when I type it in it tells me su is not recognized. If it already recognized it once is that enough or do I have to command su before I can start to flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # shell?

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
It sounds like you might be typing "su" while in the regular command prompt. You need to be in an adb shell session before typing the "su" command.

So open a command prompt and then type "adb shell" without the "" and hit enter. Then type su once the adb shell session loads but if the prompt is already # then you do not need to type the su command.

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok that worked thank you!! So then I would go into my platform-tools session but would I have to write adb push before every command?

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
No you only have to use adb push when moving files to your phone from your computer. If you are just typing commands you will not need to use "adb push". What exactly are you trying to do? If you have a link to what you are trying to accomplish or the instructions it gives it might make things easier.

Edit: Also if you are using the adb push command to push files from your comp I believe you have to change to the directory where the files are physically located for that command to function properly.

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Ah very simple. I think the other posts are confusing you. Just focus on what the Xionia thread is telling you.

1. Copy flash_image and xionia_cwma_12518.6.img to the root of your sdcard.
-----So Download the two files, unzip them and then place them on the root of your sdcard.

2. Open the command prompt and type adb shell. Make sure the prompt showing is "#" and if it isn't type "su" and hit enter.

3. Once you are in adb shell with a # prompt enter the following one line at a time:

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
# reboot recovery

Note you do not need to type the # sign....you just type what is after. For instance for the first line you would just type "mount -o bla bla bla". After you finish the final command "reboot recovery" your phone will restart and you should end up in your new custom recovery.

Edit: Oh and is your name actually spelled "Brittiny"? If so thats pretty awesome lol. I've never seen it spelled that way.

Last edited:

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
If u have root then this is the way I would install a cutom recovery preferably drellesdies. I would do it from the terminal Emulator on the phone download it of market. And When I did it they mentioned a spacing problem, so I noticed it spaced at the beginning of each new line backed it up and went with it. wee it was really easy.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ugh I can't figure out what I am doing wrong!!!!! I need to get the flash image and xionia_cwma_12518.6.img onto the root of my sdcard and I followed the directions but I don't think it's working!! I got booted into recovery but I don't know what to do when I am there, I don't know how to check to see if it worked and now I keep getting this notice saying sprit zone is not working and I have to force that closed.

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Well if your phone rebooted to recovery you will know its a custom recovery by the options provided. Basically see if your recovery menu looks like the picture below. If it does they you properly installed a custom recovery and you don't need to do anything other than reboot your phone to use it.

xionia_recovery.png

If it does not look like the picture above and only has a few options then you probably still have the LG stock recovery and will need to start from step 1. Make sure when you put the files on the root of your sd card they are unzipped. I just enabled usb storage on the phone and transferred them that way and it worked fine.

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well if your phone rebooted to recovery you will know its a custom recovery by the options provided. Basically see if your recovery menu looks like the picture below. If it does they you properly installed a custom recovery and you don't need to do anything other than reboot your phone to use it.

xionia_recovery.png

If it does not look like the picture above and only has a few options then you probably still have the LG stock recovery and will need to start from step 1. Make sure when you put the files on the root of your sd card they are unzipped. I just enabled usb storage on the phone and transferred them that way and it worked fine.
Ok what came up in recovery didn't have that many options on it. I want to just start from the very first step and by that I mean I want to unroot my phone and re root it. Can I do that? I just feel like I missed something in the rooting process and I think I would feel better about it.
Yes my name is really spelled BRIT TINY lol.

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Yes it is possible to return to stock by following the directions in the thread link below. I would suggest trying one more time prior to returning to stock though. Download the two files linked in the Xionia thread again....unzip them....place on sdcard but make sure they are on the root of the sd card (meaning not inside any folder)....then fire up adb shell and type commands one line at a time hitting enter at the end of each line. Note any errors that you see. You might see one error that is explained in the Xionia thread but that particular error is fine....anything else you will need to pay attention to.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
If u have root then this is the way I would install a cutom recovery preferably drellesdies. I would do it from the terminal Emulator on the phone download it of market. And When I did it they mentioned a spacing problem, so I noticed it spaced at the beginning of each new line backed it up and went with it. wee it was really easy.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

I was actually using that recovery until 2 days ago when I switched to Xionia. I just noticed that the thunder recovery is a bit more outdated and certain ROMs like CM7 require the Xionia recovery to flash. At least they say they require it so I don't want to be the one to try using a different custom recovery lol.

I will say they are quite similar but I like Xionia better for two reasons. First you can just hit the "vol up" button when at the top of the screen to jump to the bottom of the list. Second the way it runs backups is better because there is only one option...backup...and it tells you what it is doing step by step.

Edit: Oh and the wipe slightly more simplified also.

Last edited:

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is possible to return to stock by following the directions in the thread link below. I would suggest trying one more time prior to returning to stock though. Download the two files linked in the Xionia thread again....unzip them....place on sdcard but make sure they are on the root of the sd card (meaning not inside any folder)....then fire up adb shell and type commands one line at a time hitting enter at the end of each line. Note any errors that you see. You might see one error that is explained in the Xionia thread but that particular error is fine....anything else you will need to pay attention to.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/45403-how-unroot-your-phone-return-stock.html
Ok I defiantly didn't put them on the ROOT of the sdcard so there is one problem. Ok I am going to try it all one more time!!

brittiny

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! That didn't work!!! Here is what I am typing in from the moment I open the cmd.

1- cd c:\androidsdk\platform-tools
2- adb shell
3- su
then I copy and past these commands and I do NOT include the #.
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
# reboot recovery

When typing in the commands all of them repeated but the 2nd and the 4th ones failed saying no such file or directory. When it rebooted it had the first 4 options but not the last 4 options.

With TONS of help from kingdavidbaker I realized I had the downloads in the platform-tools folder when they were not supposed to be in any folder at all. So now they are just sitting on my E: drive. PLEASE PLEASE help me!!! :confused:

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Hrm well there is no problem with the fourth command giving an error but the 2nd command definitely should not. If it says there is no such file that means it does not see a file called flash_image on the root of your sd card. Once again make sure they are unzipped. Go to the link below to view what my root directory looks like with the two files placed in it.

http://www.kingdavidbaker.com/sd card root.jpg

If you STILL have issues PM me and I can remote into your computer and do it for you ;)

Edit: Also make sure if you are copying these commands that there is no space in front of them. The command lines should start with a letter, not a space.
Edit: Oh and not to confuse things but technically those files can also be in a folder if you are using the adb push method but lets forget about that for now lol.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582