Seidio Innocase II still a problem, Seidio even worse

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Quick recap if you don't feel like reading this whole thing: the "fixed" innocase 2 will become loose and Seidio doesn't recognize it as a defect, furthermore they won't accept proof (video, forum posts) that the case is defective and want me to pay for return shipping so they can decide whether it's defective and depending upon who you talk to, they will *maybe* refund my shipping costs if they think the case is loose. I don't know why it's so hard to mold a piece of plastic and charge $30 for it and I don't know why I should be out one red cent (return shipping costs) for having to deal with their problems.

A little back story:

About Seidio: Seidio has a BBB rating of D+ and recently has had 9 complaints filed against it with 7 resolved and 2 unresponded to.

About me:

I bought my black Innocase 2 (along with a second blue innocase and 2 screen protectors) and paid for two day shipping to ensure it would arrive on June 4th for my new Evo. Before I paid for two day shipping I asked Seidio's live chat if I could get it in time, they said my case wouldn't ship out until the next day so if I wanted to receive it by June 4th, I'd have to pay for two day shipping. Wouldn't you know it they do actually ship it the same day so they suckered me in to paying for two day shipping... OK, I can get over it, at this point I'm more excited about the Evo than the case and at the least the case and protectors are guaranteed to be there in time.

When I first got the case I liked the way the outside of it felt. I never used a case that used a tab to hold together over a phone before but for $30 and all the good reviews the company had I thought it would be fine.

Just a couple of days in to using the case and I knew it was complete crap. It was noisy and loose, not just around any specific area but the case just wasn't molded properly to fit the Evo. I was not alone in this issue, as many people here with the Innocase 2 were posting and complaining of the same thing. I went to their site and via live chat spoke to a representative that told me the problem had been fixed with their product design and that they would send two replacements with return shipping for the units we had now. This again wasn't a big deal to me, I don't know how they screwed up molding a piece of plastic in the first place, but whatever at least they are making good on it.

I'd say that all happened around the middle to late part of June.

Wouldn't you know it, as time passed the blue case (for my g/f's Evo) had become so loose it felt like the phone was moving while holding it in the hand. Again, I went to Seidio's live chat on their web site and they said they would send a blue replacement with return postage for the broken unit. They actually ended up sending two, I only opened one and put the return shipping on and sent them both back to Seidio.

Around this time the black case on my Evo started becoming loose like the first unit I received. I thought I would just deal with it as the outside of the case looks nice and feels nice in the hand. Since then I've started using my phone so much more for so many more things on a daily basis that the case became just like the first one with continued use. Loose to the point where it was trapping dirt inside the case, loose to the touch and making a kind of wood floor like creaking sound.

It felt as if the case was slightly separating at the tab point and still wasn't really 100% snug fitting on the Evo. It got to the point where it was driving me crazy while I was using my phone so I went back to their online chat.

I suggested to the representative at this time that I'd like to try to the active case because it uses a one piece design to go over the phone instead of two pieces of tabbed plastic that can become loose over time. Also, it's exactly the same price so I wouldn't realistically see how it'd be a big deal to them.

Instead, I was welcomed to customer service chat HELL, they don't want to send anymore replacements, they want me to fill out some RMA form and then pay for return shipping of the defective unit to them, at which time they will determine if the case is defective or not, and depending on who you talk to, they may or may not refunding my shipping cost.

I said I would gladly provide proof by way of a video I can make and show them or by what others on this very forum have said about their revised innocase 2, they refuse to accept anything, they want me to "trust" them to make a decision as if I, or anyone else, couldn't tell if a case is loose.

Now this normally wouldn't be a huge deal to me, but my original purchase was $97 (2 cases, 2 screen protectors, 2 day shipping), their products clearly have a design flaw and they are refusing to acknowledge it. As well because of their flaws they want me to spend more money to send their defective product back to them so I can "trust" them to see if they will refund my shipping cost.

At which point they won't even just send an active case out for me to try, but will instead issue a partial refund at which point I can use that to buy an active case.

I'm not cheap by any means, for crying out loud I bought 2 EVOs and spent $97 on cases, but I do like value and I like spending my money to mean something. While Seidio's high prices suggest a quality product the innocase 2 is nothing but a cheap piece of plastic that isn't properly designed nor molded to fit the Evo.

I would suggest you don't do business with Seidio and if you do stay away from their defective innocase 2 product line for the Evo.

/rant off - be warned.

piaa_nissan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I feel for you, I purchased one right after buying my EVO. The first one they sent me was a terrible fit and became looser. After contacting them they told me there was an "updated" case available and they would RMA the old one and ship out a new one. The new one was just the same as the old one. I ended up getting another RMA and shipping them both back in the same box- This on 6/22. Flash forward to now after I finally got upset over no refund I contacted them. They told me there was only one case in the box. I disputed that and told them I would reverse my CC charges if they couldn't quit leading me on. They replied back they would ok a refund and it would take a couple of days. Two weeks later I still have no credit.
I was a Seidio fan boy when I had my BB Curve and Hero and loved them greatly, the problem is the EVO case is crap. They could have saved my future business but instead they dropped the ball and I will avoid them like the plague.

anon(5021)

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I received my case from the contest here on androidcentral and I am seriously pissed off. I am very grateful, dont get it wrong. I love this site and these forums. I am pissed at seidio. they send me the case and it was fine at first and i've NEVER dropped my phone any hard surface... but when i took my case off to clean my phone i noticed scratches all along the top and bottom of my phone. I hate it.... i paid a lot of money for this phone and now its scuffed all over. I just sent an email to seidio but i don't expect any sort of compensation. I was using a cheap case from eBay and was happy but I wanted something nicer.... i was lucky enough to win and I wish i never did. I am so damn angry. Thanks OP for giving everyone here a heads up when it comes to these cases... everyone should avoid seidio.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I received my case from the contest here on androidcentral and I am seriously pissed off. I am very grateful, dont get it wrong. I love this site and these forums. I am pissed at seidio. they send me the case and it was fine at first and i've NEVER dropped my phone any hard surface... but when i took my case off to clean my phone i noticed scratches all along the top and bottom of my phone. I hate it.... i paid a lot of money for this phone and now its scuffed all over. I just sent an email to seidio but i don't expect any sort of compensation. I was using a cheap case from eBay and was happy but I wanted something nicer.... i was lucky enough to win and I wish i never did. I am so damn angry. Thanks OP for giving everyone here a heads up when it comes to these cases... everyone should avoid seidio.

No problem, I'm just sorry you had to go through that.

I have hairline scratches on the front of my phone and I'm hoping their not from the case but at this point I wouldn't be surprised. Can anyone else confirm?

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong? But I bought the Platinum case and holster from Best Buy, and darn if it don't look the same as the Seidio one. So far it has worked just fine for me, and does not seem to become loose on me yet.

Oddly enough though, the other day while at a Shell gas station, they actually had accessories for the EVO there! I bought a metallic blue (nearly matches the blue of my VW R32 too!) snap-on case similar to the "barely there" case for $9.95, and love it. Plus, it now fits in my favorite Nite Ize brown suede side case I used for my HD2. So I am ecstatic.

madeagain#AC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes the platinum se3ries case from BB is the same. I actually receieved a replacement for my platinum series case from Seidio when they redesigned the inside. the new one is scratching the hell out of my phone so I think I am just going to go carbon fiber!

Correct me if I am wrong? But I bought the Platinum case and holster from Best Buy, and darn if it don't look the same as the Seidio one. So far it has worked just fine for me, and does not seem to become loose on me yet.

Oddly enough though, the other day while at a Shell gas station, they actually had accessories for the EVO there! I bought a metallic blue (nearly matches the blue of my VW R32 too!) snap-on case similar to the "barely there" case for $9.95, and love it. Plus, it now fits in my favorite Nite Ize brown suede side case I used for my HD2. So I am ecstatic.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes the platinum se3ries case from BB is the same. I actually receieved a replacement for my platinum series case from Seidio when they redesigned the inside. the new one is scratching the hell out of my phone so I think I am just going to go carbon fiber!

I can't believe a company made a case that actually scratches the phone. I have a $10 amzer case that never gets dirt on the inside, protects just as well as the innocase 2 and was $20 cheaper. It fits like a glove and hasn't scratched or hurt my phone so I haven't head to deal with their customer service but it's probably 1,000 times better than Seidio. A monkey making random noises on the phone and smashing buttons on a keyboard would be better than seidio customer service.

madeagain#AC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
What Amzer case are you using if you dont mind me asking? I have been looking at those the last couple days. they have one that fits like the Innocase II and they one that clicks on like the barely there cases... any feed back would be appreciated...

I can't believe a company made a case that actually scratches the phone. I have a $10 amzer case that never gets dirt on the inside, protects just as well as the innocase 2 and was $20 cheaper. It fits like a glove and hasn't scratched or hurt my phone so I haven't head to deal with their customer service but it's probably 1,000 times better than Seidio. A monkey making random noises on the phone and smashing buttons on a keyboard would be better than seidio customer service.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

How can you tell if it is an updated case? What is the difference?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
How can you tell if it is an updated case? What is the difference?

The inside of the case isn't shiny it's more "rubberized" IMO it's still a piece of overprice garbage but I seriously hope that it works out for you, just watch out for scratches on the front top of the phone (right where the case covers).

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The inside of the case isn't shiny it's more "rubberized" IMO it's still a piece of overprice garbage but I seriously hope that it works out for you, just watch out for scratches on the front top of the phone (right where the case covers).

Thanks. Guess then I do have the updated version then, because the inside of mine has felt in the center, and the rest is rubberized. As for the scratches, I guess I am lucky there, because I am using the ZAGG shield, and the case goes over it, so guess that is protecting it from those scratches.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess you guys never got the final update for the innocase surface II. They had at least 3 version. The first was the original, the second version had the same felt placement, but had the rubberized inside. The 3rd version had the rubberized inside and the felt on the top now went all the way to the top and the bottom was the same as the original. There CS was pretty prompt to fix it and they paid for return shipping each time. I tried to tell them they need felt on the entire inside but they only fixed the top.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I have the active limited case and the first one out of the box the soft touch rubber coating was missing on a whole corner, so I call amazon and they quickly sent me a new one. One week later the same thing but at least I got to use it, so I called again and they overnighted me one and I swear it looked like the first one. So they said they will contact the vender and contact me back. I might return it for the otterbox. I'm starting to feel like innocase I had on my pre that the tabs kept breaking off. Its sad because I do like the case.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the active limited case and the first one out of the box the soft touch rubber coating was missing on a whole corner, so I call amazon and they quickly sent me a new one. One week later the same thing but at least I got to use it, so I called again and they overnighted me one and I swear it looked like the first one. So they said they will contact the vender and contact me back. I might return it for the otterbox. I'm starting to feel like innocase I had on my pre that the tabs kept breaking off. Its sad because I do like the case.

I am having similar problems. I had to have 3 Innocase II surface till I got one that sort of worked. I don't like it so I have been using the Body Glove that I got from Sprint, which I thought was ok, but tonight the the part around the volume button all of a sudden cracked. So now I am forced to use the Innocase II Surface until they release the Otterbox Commuter series. I hope, at least the Seidio will protect and not ruin my phone until the Otterbox comes out.

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the innocase/rugged case holster combo (whatever its called) and i love it. Best case i've ever had. I dont have any of the problems you guys are having.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I see that Ottebox commuter case came out so I'm going to be giving them a shot.

I have the Amzer case on the Evo now, it's not bad but it seems to have stretched from a lot of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder