Something rattling...

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok so not sure how I discovered this but if I hold my phone near the bottom an shake the top half of it I can hear something inside rattling... Not side to side but if you were bringing the screen towards you an then back down. I thought maybe it was the S Pen so I took it out an tried it and it still does it... Anyone else's do this? Just wondering what it could be, if somethings loose inside or what

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Try holding your phone with your four fingers on the back of the device with your thumb on the front. And then wave your phone near your ear like youre fanning yourself. You'll hear it shake. I literally just tested this on the N4, N5, N7, S6 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, and S7 edge. All have the same result.

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Try holding your phone with your four fingers on the back of the device with your thumb on the front. And then wave your phone near your ear like youre fanning yourself. You'll hear it shake. I literally just tested this on the N4, N5, N7, S6 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, and S7 edge. All have the same result.

Hmm guess it must be normal for the camera to move a little then? It doesn't seem crooked or out of place either, just hear something moving lol

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Hmm guess it must be normal for the camera to move a little then? It doesn't seem crooked or out of place either, just hear something moving lol
It's more than likely because of the part that deals with the stabilization for lens. The noise is also less noticeable or even nonexistent when the camera app is open. My N3 doesn't make the noise, but any galaxy s or note from the N4 to present seems to have a similar camera housing.

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It's more than likely because of the part that deals with the stabilization for lens. The noise is also less noticeable or even nonexistent when the camera app is open. My N3 doesn't make the noise, but any galaxy s or note from the N4 to present seems to have a similar camera housing.

Oh ya look at that I opened the camera app an it didn't do it!

ghostriderz85

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
It's called optical image stabilization, look it up.

To confirm it's really the camera, try shaking it with the camera app open, it won't rattle when the camera app is open because the OIS is powered

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Aside from the S Pen, the other part that moves in the device is the rear camera module.

When the camera app is opened, the stabilization module springs to life, utilizing movement data from the gyro sensors in order to calculate and estimate where the phone is being unintentionally shaken and attempts to correct that by moving the module in a way that corrects that. When the camera app is closed, the module shuts down and the camera is set in an idle position. Because some room needs to be made for the lens itself to move in order to correct for unintentional handshakes, some movement will occur if the device is being shaken, meaning that you may hear that rattle.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rimsha