Speed of monthly updates.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone explain why the monthly update takes over one hour to complete?
My internet speed is very good.
I feel that the graphics of the progress of the update is really not intuitive in that the progress graphic seems to stall. I think a % indicator, instead of a slow moving line, would help. As you can guess, I'm a very impatient user. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using AC Forums mobile app

David Thomas24

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I feel that the graphics of the progress of the update is really not intuitive in that the progress graphic seems to stall. I think a % indicator, instead of a slow moving line, would help. As you can guess, I'm a very impatient user. Thanks.

if you have a pixel 6 any pixel phone the phone used seamless updates that is why your updates take along time to download

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that most of that is taking place in the background, so that you can keep using the phone as normal. The actual downloading of the update file doesn't take very long at all. Most of the time is taken with the update process and app optimization.

I've found that the update process on Pixels also stalls for some reason right at the very beginning, prompting the user to tap the Resume button -- are you encountering that? Whenever you start an update, watch the screen for about 10 seconds in case it stalls like that. That could be adding to the perceived installation time.

If you were to compare the total time of the update process between a Pixel and a Samsung phone (which still doesn't have seamless updates, meaning the phone is out of commission while the update installs), you're right in that the Pixel's total time is significantly longer -- however, the time you can't use the Pixel is very short (basically the time it takes to reboot). I guess the tradeoff for seamless updates is that it takes that much longer for the update process to complete in the background.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It has been the same for me on my pixel 7 pro while seamless updates are supposedly great , I'll take my Samsung update for about 10 minutes to download and install over Google's way

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
It has been the same for me on my pixel 7 pro while seamless updates are supposedly great , I'll take my Samsung update for about 10 minutes to download and install over Google's way

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
I prefer to be able to use my phone while it's updating. I get a reboot message when it's done. No fuss no muss.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I prefer to be able to use my phone while it's updating. I get a reboot message when it's done. No fuss no muss.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Everyone going have a different opinion and no one wrong how they want it

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you all. I like the idea of being able to work while the update installs. My main question is that the update process is not very intuitive. I'd like to see the progress line replaced with a % number. The progress line hardly moves and sometimes appears to stop.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you all. I like the idea of being able to work while the update installs. My main question is that the update process is not very intuitive. I'd like to see the progress line replaced with a % number. The progress line hardly moves and sometimes appears to stop.
Thanks.

I'd guess it's because the update process is very heterogeneous -- i.e., there are many different things that are happening, so it may be difficult to make a precise percentage estimate of the progress.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too believe some of the updates on my Pixel 5 have stalked and I had to hit "resume" a few times. Good to know I'm not the only one!

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

It's the same on my Pixel 7. The updates take forever to install.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I almost never see a OTA come to the phone I manually check so if I do that it means I want install Right away without delay.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that also. I believe that back in the Pixel 3 days, I waited for a few days before checking for a update after several weeks to be sure that it wasn't buggy. Somewhere along the line, I did get a notice that the update was available.
I still think that the % idea would be assurance that the update hasn't stalled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that also. I believe that back in the Pixel 3 days, I waited for a few days before checking for a update after several weeks to be sure that it wasn't buggy. Somewhere along the line, I did get a notice that the update was available.
I still think that the % idea would be assurance that the update hasn't stalled.

It's a reasonable idea -- send it as feedback to Google!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886