Sprint Store 4g, $10 Charage and all.... What store reps said

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You are wrong. Sprint limits data to 5gb on all 3G smartphones, and will throttle your data speeds to almost nothing if you exceed it. (just like T-mobile) The $10 premium DATA fee pays for usage of the 4G network AND unlimited data.

And believe me, when you're running full-bore WiMax or LTE you WILL burn through that 5 GB in a month.

That was beaten to death already on the Sprint forums when I got a Pre a year and a half ago. There is no data cap on Simply Everything plans for phones. I've NEVER heard a peep or seen any degradation of service for exceeding 5gb, whether on the Pre or Evo. Nor have I been charged extra. That was one issue I wanted to be very clear about when I signed on with Sprint. Now, those little mifi things and netbook data cards... that's a different story.

"premium data" is supposed to be for all those things you'll be doing with your powerful Evo, like all the location based/constantly syncing apps, two-way video (which was a pretty rare feature when the Evo came out), Qik uploads, etc... and, oh yeah, 4g access. I've never bought that lame explanation, and I think it's safe to say most people know it's simply a veiled 4g charge.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
the only problem i have with this "premium data fee" is 90% of the time i'm on wifi. Since i got this phone at launch the most i have ever used is 6 gig of data. Well that and my area will never have 4g.

Sent from my pc36100 using tapatalk

^^ this! ^^

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I wish Sprint would of just raised the price on all their phones by 10 bucks, so this topic doesn't come up once a week.

They would still be cheaper than the other wireless networks.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Wait until Verizon figures out ways to charge you for LTE... they'll be more sneaky and will squeeze out far more than $10.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
How many times do we have to beat this dead horse? If you don't want to pay the $10 fee don't get the Evo -- OK!

Brian

Reactions: HYDE

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The Sales Reps said they worked for Sprint a long time and now all about the fees and that it is for the Processor.
That's been Sprint's official stance, since early on they realized that they couldn't call it a 4G fee and not expect people in non-4G areas to complain about having to pay for something they're not getting.

So they throw techno mumbo jumbo to try and confuse consumers. That the high-end, fast processor, large screen, kickstand, etc., will cause Evo users to use more data, which is why there's a "premium data charge" of $10 per month.

The total monthly bill is still cheaper than, or at least cost the same as, the price of comparable plans with the same or most similar features on the other 3 national carriers, so people bear with it.

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How many times do we have to beat this dead horse? If you don't want to pay the $10 fee don't get the Evo -- OK!
n

So what if want the evo but dont want.to pay the.fee for 4g. I should be able to say I will only use 3g as the speed difcerences are small. Think of it like when you order home internet. They give u a choice of speeds. Rule the world with evo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So what if want the evo but dont want.to pay the.fee for 4g. I should be able to say I will only use 3g as the speed difcerences are small. Think of it like when you order home internet. They give u a choice of speeds. Rule the world with evo.

I think Raptor's point was why do we need yet another thread on this topic. It has been talked about ad nauseum since June of last year.

I see your point, but it is not an option and will not be an option. Those are the terms that you accepted when you made your purchase.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I asked a few questions about when 4g will be here as I am tried of paying the $10 fee and not being able to use it.... The store said that the fee is not for 4g but for the PROCESSOR in the device.

Interesting argument. So the processor is rented to you and you pay $10 a month rental fee. What's next, 5$/month battery fee?

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
:(:(:( My 2009 Yukon Denali, more than $120 per week for gas. Is this where we are complaining about gas prices? :p

Absolutely! Lol. I have a tahoe and spend about $400 a month on gas. So I think I would like to complain to GM about that. You know, because I wasn't aware of that upfront when I bought it. :rolleyes:

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well that's funny but how bout this to make this a fair complaint. What was the advertised gas mileage of your vehicle? Since you bought it has it lived up to that advertisement? If it hypothetically has not, how do you complain to a company when you cannot prove that the gas mileage is low because they'll point to too many uncontrollable factors? In both cases, they advertise something to get you sold, but once you're sold your voice doesn't count anymore.

Makes it a little less of a stretch considering their 'premium data package' just happened to come out for only the new 4G devices, meanwhile you could still pull just as much data with your year old Palm Pre if you are a power user. Sprint: just admit the money is going into funding improving the 4G map and I think most are okay with it being added to the (lowest on the market) monthly bill.

Reactions: mattchew86

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Well that's funny but how bout this to make this a fair complaint. What was the advertised gas mileage of your vehicle? Since you bought it has it lived up to that advertisement? If it hypothetically has not, how do you complain to a company when you cannot prove that the gas mileage is low because they'll point to too many uncontrollable factors? In both cases, they advertise something to get you sold, but once you're sold your voice doesn't count anymore.

Makes it a little less of a stretch considering their 'premium data package' just happened to come out for only the new 4G devices, meanwhile you could still pull just as much data with your year old Palm Pre if you are a power user. Sprint: just admit the money is going into funding improving the 4G map and I think most are okay with it being added to the (lowest on the market) monthly bill.

The point is that you know up front that you have to pay $10 just as you know when you buy an SUV that you are not going to get amazing gas mileage. If you don't wanna pay it don't buy the phone that comes with the cost. It is a very simple thing that people have made to be some big deal and it really isn't.

reverepats

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Well yes, that too, lol.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
no from my recolection dont you work for SPRINT?.....if so, if someone os having 4G connection issues cant you submit some sort of complaint and they will okk into it?.....cause my 4G is very slow and i live in a very large 4G coverage area

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
no from my recolection dont you work for SPRINT?.....if so, if someone os having 4G connection issues cant you submit some sort of complaint and they will okk into it?.....cause my 4G is very slow and i live in a very large 4G coverage area

And it inhibits his ability to use proper English! :p

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The point is that you know up front that you have to pay $10 just as you know when you buy an SUV that you are not going to get amazing gas mileage. If you don't wanna pay it don't buy the phone that comes with the cost. It is a very simple thing that people have made to be some big deal and it really isn't.

That attitude is not how things get changed to fix concerns in the consumer market. If consumers don't feel they are getting anything for the extra charge they are paying on a bill, they have every right, and somewhat a responsibility, to give feedback to the company.

So don't feed us the line about 'you agreed to it so just be happy'

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I have to correct you, the speed difference is far from small!

1.5 mb at 3g is a huge drop from 14mb at 4g