Stock Messenger App & RCS

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
So I’m using the unlocked S21U via T-Mobile and thought that the stock messenger app now supported Google's RCS CHAT capabilities. Is this not the case? I know I can get RCS through Google messages but wanted to give the stock app a try. Am I missing something? Does it get pushed out automatically or is it not available? Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Budman40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I spent most of today wondering the same thing. I have an unlocked s21u as well but I have a sprint sim. RCS works with the default messages app. Sprint/T Mobile notified me when activating my phone last week that a T Mobile sim would be better, so yesterday I went ahead and got the tmo sim. 5g coverage was the same for me, but today I noticed the chat settings weren't there and RCS wasn't working.

Spent time on chat, in the store and on phone with them and they all said that it should work. in the end I had my sprint sim activated again and those features are enabled now. I thought the while time it might have been something with changing the sim but seeing as how you don't have it as well makes me think the s21 might just not have it as unlocked and on t mobile.

It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has same issue or if RCS is good for them on unlocked phone.

Budman40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I tried that mod you mention while I was on the t mobile sim and it wouldn't do anything. When dialing in the google dialer it would just do nothing, no settings would pop up. I am just going to stay on the sprint sim for now myself. I would be interested if the OP tries the mod if that works for him.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have to check again , I had my att sim for couple months now , I'll switch over to my Tmobile prob tomorrow

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I spent most of today wondering the same thing. I have an unlocked s21u as well but I have a sprint sim. RCS works with the default messages app. Sprint/T Mobile notified me when activating my phone last week that a T Mobile sim would be better, so yesterday I went ahead and got the tmo sim. 5g coverage was the same for me, but today I noticed the chat settings weren't there and RCS wasn't working.

Spent time on chat, in the store and on phone with them and they all said that it should work. in the end I had my sprint sim activated again and those features are enabled now. I thought the while time it might have been something with changing the sim but seeing as how you don't have it as well makes me think the s21 might just not have it as unlocked and on t mobile.

It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has same issue or if RCS is good for them on unlocked phone.

I thought T-Mobile supported googles RCS but it doesn’t appear so from what you’ve tested. Guess I’ll monitor it but just use Google messages for now

Budman40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I was misleading in my post, but the google messages app worked with RCS. I just want the stock app to work since I also have a Samsung tablet and use the calls and texts on other devices, which doesn't work with the Google messages app.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I was misleading in my post, but the google messages app worked with RCS. I just want the stock app to work since I also have a Samsung tablet and use the calls and texts on other devices, which doesn't work with the Google messages app.

Na, I understood. I want to use the stock messenger app as well if I can get RCS to work.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I thought T-Mobile supported googles RCS but it doesn’t appear so from what you’ve tested. Guess I’ll monitor it but just use Google messages for now

Stock app RCS not working for me on T-Mobile locked...at least to other apps like google messages.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I’m guessing the only way to get RCS services on an unlocked device with T-Mobile is to use Google messages

Yeah that's what I am using but since I am T-Mobile locked wanted to tray messages again since supposed to be like google messages now.

Monee_121

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I have TMobile and an S21+. RCS features work for me in the stock app but of course only with Android users who also have RCS chat capability which for me means newer Samsung phones. I didn't have to enable it, but there are settings for read receipts, delivery reports, and to show typing indicators.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have TMobile and an S21+. RCS features work for me in the stock app but of course only with Android users who also have RCS chat capability which for me means newer Samsung phones. I didn't have to enable it, but there are settings for read receipts, delivery reports, and to show typing indicators.
Your on carrier version ?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

Have you texted to others who are using say Google messages and not samsung messages. That is my problem, it doesn't work unless they are using samsung messages.

Monee_121

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Have you texted to others who are using say Google messages and not samsung messages. That is my problem, it doesn't work unless they are using samsung messages.

Ah that's a good point, honestly I don't know anyone who uses it to test that out.aa far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere