System texting app converting part of a text message into a Google Maps clickable link?

Ryleyjr77

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site
I apologize if I'm not doing this right, I am new here and tired of all these random things happening with my phone that I can't explain. This is an infrequent, randomly occuring issue.

So I'm texting my mom (or even a friend), and I type out a question or statement to them. After I've sent the message, while it shows "Sending .." below the text message bubble everything appears normal within my text message. But as soon as the status switches from "Sending..." to "Delivered," a large chunk of my text goes missing/is replaced with a clickable Google Maps link that doesn't take me anywhere specific when clicked.

Whether I attempt to re-type out the whole initial text message, or make a shorter version of the message, I continue to have pieces of my text replaced with Google Maps URLs. If I wait a few hours and attempt to send the message again, it usually works.

This issue seems to only happen on longer messages. I use the Google Keyboard and have a Nord 1+.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Yikes. Is it the Google Messages app that you are also using, or some other messaging app, for sending SMS messages?

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I've looked around in my settings and can't see any that are related to "automatic sending of geo position via SMS", or something like that. However, I am not on the same Messaging app or Phone or OS as you are. Have you looked for possible settings like that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I recall seeing another post about this a while back, without a clear explanation, but I can't find it yet. I'll link it if I come across it.

Try clearing the app cache/data for the Messages app.

Kateeeryannn

Jul 4, 2022
Visit site
this is also happening to my phone and i am really really getting annoyed with it. i have to break down my messages to like 2 lines long, in order for it not to add this maps link into it. same thing, will look normal while saying sending but as soon as it changes to delivered, it rearranged my message, takes out some words, and ads this maps link. please, if you have found a resolution, please pass it on to me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
this is also happening to my phone and i am really really getting annoyed with it. i have to break down my messages to like 2 lines long, in order for it not to add this maps link into it. same thing, will look normal while saying sending but as soon as it changes to delivered, it rearranged my message, takes out some words, and ads this maps link. please, if you have found a resolution, please pass it on to me.

Please see this thread as well: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...tion-url-when-i-send-message.html#post7076743

Ryleyjr77

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site

I am OP of this thread, reaching back out. I still have YET to figure out why this happens, but even after having switched phones to a completely different brand, I am STILL encountering this issue in my stock messages app that comes with my phone. I have included a screenshot. The location that is clickable takes me to no known location, and I do not understand how or why this keeps happening! I'm considering downloading a different messaging application because nothing about this issue has been solved and it's kinda not okay.

Note: the text I sent had to do with mental health and had nothing to do with an area or location, as suggested in the other thread that was linked in one of the previous comments, so there is no correlation between talking about a location when the URL location link happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-061625.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-061625.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 7

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I am OP of this thread, reaching back out. I still have YET to figure out why this happens, but even after having switched phones to a completely different brand, I am STILL encountering this issue in my stock messages app that comes with my phone. I have included a screenshot. The location that is clickable takes me to no known location, and I do not understand how or why this keeps happening! I'm considering downloading a different messaging application because nothing about this issue has been solved and it's kinda not okay.

Note: the text I sent had to do with mental health and had nothing to do with an area or location, as suggested in the other thread that was linked in one of the previous comments, so there is no correlation between talking about a location when the URL location link happens.

Go into your Google account and look through all the TONS of settings related to sharing your data/location etc. You'll probably find the answer there. I like Android, and Google's pretty up front about what they do with your information, but they make it pretty difficult to find and turn off settings... the good thing is you can turn them off, which isn't always an option on other devices.

My location history was turned on by default, and I wasn't aware of it until I started getting emails telling me literally everywhere I'd been over the last year, all being tracked and stored by Google so they could show me ads pertaining to the area I was in at the time (and who knows what else :eek: ). So I had to go in and "pause" location history (can't turn it off), and then find another setting that erased the saved location history. Sneaky.

Anyway I remember seeing in the settings the option to send map locations and website links in your text messages if you had the options turned on for, once again, advertising purposes :( You need to go in there and turn them off because those settings will follow your Google account from phone to phone until you shut them off :-\

Ryleyjr77

Feb 10, 2022
Visit site
Will check this out now, thanks!

I understand what you mean by the location thing, I found the same thing out by accident one time, when browsing through settings.

Brandi Castaneda

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
I have the same exact problem, almost every single text though gets gutted and has a link to something random replacing most of each text, like it took the word 'thanks' and tried to find a location with thanks in it through Google maps, I checked ever single setting on this phone and even in my Google account, nothing at all, nothing online about it either, I think it's a malfunction with messenger itself, something wrong with how it identifies an actual location and how to add a link without deleting and mixing up the original text.

It looks like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220812-161559.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-161559.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie borow

Jun 12, 2022
Visit site
Same for me. I think I was the previous person complaining without a clear explanation. Still happens. Seems to happen mostly with certain people I text. No idea though. Just having to learn to calm down and ignore it. Nothing I've tried or been told to try has worked.

Rich Castro

Nov 9, 2022
Visit site
I figured out how to fix the map in text problem.

go to settings: then tap apps and notifications:

then from there go to advanced: click it,

then scrool down to special app access click it,

find picture in picture click it, and scroll down to maps,

click on maps and turn permission off.

that should solve the google maps showing up in your text messages.

Megan Longo

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site

I have a nord 1 plus, I've had it for 2 years and this never started happening to me until recently. And I have absolutely no idea what to do, the ONLY pattern of any kind that I've noticed is that it only happens when I message my husband (who is also on the same plan as myself, a long with our 2 children) but it only happens when I send him a message, it never happens when I text our kids. Once this VERY annoying phenomenon started happening, it was only lengthy messages that got sabotaged with the weird location url. Exactly as everyone else has stated, it wasn't triggered by a certain word or phrase that I can see, but the message would be precisely how I typed it out, I'd hit send, and it would turn green to blue to green and once it achieved delivered status, it would disappear briefly and reappear with the url in the middle, scrambling up my messages and making them basically unreadable and missing most of the message. It's important to note that we both have Android phones, I have a nord, he has a different Android and so does my daughter, my son has an iPhone but all 4 of us are on the same Metro by T-Mobile plan. Bc of the frequency of this happening, if I typed a lengthy message, I would select all and copy it just in case so that I could paste it into a Facebook message via the facebook messenger app bc I have grown tired of this happening so much. It also seemed to happen more frequently when our billing cycle was almost due. However I just paid our bill yesterday and today is the start of our new billing cycle and it has happened to me multiple times today which is never happened before. At first this only happened when I messaged my husband who like I said was also using the default messenger app that the phones come with an is on the same plan as me, however I was speaking to my sister-in-law who is in who is on a different plan and also has an Android phone and it started happening with her as well. I don't know why it only happens when I message those two people I message many other people and it never happens, knock on wood, it only happens when I message my husband and his sister I don't know why. Their phones are not related in any way, we ( my sister in law and I)don't have the same company we don't have the same plans and I just use the messaging app that was pre-installed on the phone the default one that comes with the phone nobody else I know has ever had this problem usually when I describe it no one knows what I'm talking about unless it has happened when I messaged them or I show them an example of this random URL happening. I've never tried to check the location of the maps or the URLs or whatever it is. I've always just been annoyed by it and I've never clicked on it and I was looking for a solution today and I happened upon this thread and I did as the post I'm coming to responding to and if you turn off the picture to picture maps it says that you can no longer have the little map in the corner, like if I am using my maps in my car if I switch to another another app, like to change a song or something ( I have an older car and I have to still use an aux cord to have my phone play over the car speakers) the map stays in like a little box in the corner and I like that and I need it. so if I turn that off to solve this random URL problem is that not going to create another problem? Because I will no longer be able to have my maps in the corner when I'm switching apps while driving or navigating for someone.

Sarah Smile1

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site

It didn't work. I thought it may have, but after a test it was a no go