T-Mobile LG G4 Updated!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you. Had the N5 and was not impressed enough to go to the N6. The nexus life is not all it is hyped up to be. At least on T-Mobile. It could be better on different carriers? The grass was not greener in my experience with a Nexus phone.

I had the Nexus 5 on Tmo. I had no problems. What problems did you suffer?

Last edited:

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you. Had the N5 and was not impressed enough to go to the N6. The nexus life is not all it is hyped up to be. At least on T-Mobile. It could be better on different carriers? The grass was not greener in my experience with a Nexus phone.

Reading the comments, I am rethinking my desire to get the NEXSUS. The appeal is that you get the latest OS first usually and it is easier to ROOT.

I guess I will wait and get the LG G4 Pro

orgwizard1

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't remember specifics with the phone, but if you google nexus 5 lolipop problems, there seemed to always be issues with each release, and sometimes they fixed things, while adding new bugs and/or not fixing others. I think battery drains and memory leaks were some of the recent ones.
and recall at one point suffering with bluetooth issues on the n4, that they never fixed on one os, then released a new os that fixed some issues with bluetooth, but not all. and it all just seemed like they were painfully slow to address the bugs and very silent on when/if things would get fixed. was better than my oem htc and samsung experiences, but not much.

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Well I finally ended up flashing the update since I was sick of waiting. So far so good but I'll give it a few days to see if the issues come back before I get too excited.

Posted via the Android Central App

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My touchscreen issues were cured but it seemed to have come at the expense of some battery life. I'd say that I have lost between 30-60 minutes of SOT per charge cycle. Still averaging 4-5 hours SOT per complete charge though, so it's in the acceptable range for me. Especially when factoring in my free backup battery I got. Never have to plug this thing in to a wall.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I finally ended up flashing the update since I was sick of waiting. So far so good but I'll give it a few days to see if the issues come back before I get too excited.

I did too, when the misses phone got the update and I still didn't it was my only choice :D

I did manage to wipe the whole phone when I was trying to install TWRP. I think that ended up being a good thing though as my battery life seems to be much better now. I think it has more to do with the wipe than the update

ReaganDee

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5 on Tmo. I had no problems. What problems did you suffer?

I still found myself getting impatient about updates and flashing them instead of waiting for the OTA. My phone was a bit laggy at times as well. My G4 has been much better about responding when I touch the screen (which is funny when I hear everyone talk about knock feature not working too well, when mine has never suffered).

A couple of things I loved about the N5 were the size and ease of rooting.

ReaganDee

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Reading the comments, I am rethinking my desire to get the NEXSUS. The appeal is that you get the latest OS first usually and it is easier to ROOT.

I guess I will wait and get the LG G4 Pro

I am interested to see the next round of Nexus phones, and I could honestly go back and give them a second chance. Rooting was a very easy process for sure.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll say, since the update my crappy Xfinity WiFi seems to be actually working. I'm putting that out there fearing that it's just gonna crap out on me.

Nof603

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't received this update OTA. Is anyone else still in the same boat? I didn't think it would take 2+ weeks to receive it. Thanks!

orgwizard1

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I was too. finally gave up waiting.
I backed up, and did a factory reset from the settings menus. that reset it, I didn't do any of the config after reboot. just skipped past as many of the setup wizard screens as possible, except to setup a wireless connection. that did not yield for me an update prompt.
so, did the reboot, and used to the back button combination to try and force the factory reset from recovery mode. don't know if that really is any different than settings.
same as before, skipped past all setup windows I could, except wifi, went back into settings to check for updates, and sure enough, it finally showed up. not sure why it didn't say anything during the setup steps, as that's one of the things it appears to check for after the wifi config.
but, finally, it did update.
one more factory reset, just cause, after the the update was installed, and things are getting back up and running.
slow mo, aside from being relocated, doesn't appear any more slomo than the one that was already there on 10h. touch definitely seems better, and not yet sure on battery life. my odd wifi instability when bluetooth is on still seems present, but otherwise, the phone does seem a bit smoother as well now.

sucks that it took all this just to get what was an important update.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I was too. finally gave up waiting.
I backed up, and did a factory reset from the settings menus. that reset it, I didn't do any of the config after reboot. just skipped past as many of the setup wizard screens as possible, except to setup a wireless connection. that did not yield for me an update prompt.
so, did the reboot, and used to the back button combination to try and force the factory reset from recovery mode. don't know if that really is any different than settings.
same as before, skipped past all setup windows I could, except wifi, went back into settings to check for updates, and sure enough, it finally showed up. not sure why it didn't say anything during the setup steps, as that's one of the things it appears to check for after the wifi config.
but, finally, it did update.
one more factory reset, just cause, after the the update was installed, and things are getting back up and running.
slow mo, aside from being relocated, doesn't appear any more slomo than the one that was already there on 10h. touch definitely seems better, and not yet sure on battery life. my odd wifi instability when bluetooth is on still seems present, but otherwise, the phone does seem a bit smoother as well now.

sucks that it took all this just to get what was an important update.

So I read your post at work today and it got me thinking. After receiving the OTA last week I came home today and did a factory reset. I had this phone running smooth. The only hiccup really was after unlocking there was some lag followed shortly there after by a pretty smooth OS. Some scrolling lag, but not across the board. Only a couple of applications. After the factory reset, I gotta say this phone is really reminding me of my Nexus 5. Remarkably smooth performance now.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I received my upgrade today. It's only been a few hours, but noticeable performance improvements. I had major lag issues right out of the box, one of my major peeves about android. Very little lag now. I'm a happy camper.

davcole

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Had to do reset, then it gave me the option to update!

Touch us improved. The wifi calling isn't giving me the error messages I had before but it's not 100% connecting.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

peetah21

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Still haven't gotten the update yet. Had my G4 since early June if that matters, want to see if touch is improved to the point were I can use Knock Code again.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the update last week, don't really notice much change.. But taking a picture while music is playing, doesn't stop the music anymore.. I assume that's from this update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD