The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belushi

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Given the T-Mobile update is coming via Kies (e.g. OTA delayed to sometime in future), sounds like it is a very high possibility that part of the delay is due to getting the OTA update working (e.g. other carriers don't want to go the Kies route).

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
In the amount of time it has taken them to get Froyo out to the Galaxy S phones, shouldn't they have just taken that effort and tried to get Gingerbread out to us?

Ha! Tell me about it...

What adds further insult to injury is the fact that the Nexus S shipped with Gingerbread. Now Samsung is coming out with all this new stuff shipping with 2.2 and whatnot.

My fiance has the Samsung Moment. She was super disappointed when I told her that her phone wouldn't get Android 2.2. Us Epic users have been told we're going to get 2.2, and I'm still holding out for that. But I'd seriously doubt we'd get anything after that. Samsung just drags their a$$ way too much for me.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I updated to DK28 when it 1st came out it was iffy...about 1 week ago I odined back to 2.1 in hopes of 2.2 being "officially" released...WELL I wont be getting it soon and I actually like the anesthetic of 2.2 over 2.1 and while minor I rather deal with the CAPPED internet speed and occasional slim lag depending on whats open and running, because I like 2.2 over 2.1,,,,remember they did an update because the data speed was moving slow on 2.1...well it is back in 2.2. I keep running speed test and nothing over 1mbps and the upload is @ .90mbps.....on 4g! 3g is .65mbps and on upload .34mbps....tried on wifi@ home I get 6-7mbps and upload around 2-3...........now odin and back to 2.1 update 1 my speed on 4G sitting on same couch is 5-6 and upload @ 1.1mbps....HMM this is probably something to do with no froyo!

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Also this update will wipe the phone correct? Will have to reinstall all of our apps and remove the sd card before we do it

No need to remove the SD card I don't think. However, if you root before you update and install Ti backup and back up, you can then re-root after the update and restore all your apps, info, settings, etc. after the update. I've had to get two replacement Epics because of hardware problems, and it was great having the device backed up so all I had to do was re-root and reinstall Ti backup to get everything back.

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. If you bought an epic, then you are most likely under contract and not eligible for the lowest price on new equipment. It will cost you $200 to break your contract. A new smart device with Sprint is around $600, but you can get a new device on another carrier with 2.2 or 2.3 for $150 plus the $200 for cancellation ($350). Some may also contemplate an iphone which comes out very soon on Verizon. Sprint would lose the monthly revenue plus the equipment subsidy for only keeping the customer for a few months after discounting the equipment. Customers that thought 2.2 would be out 3 months ago are not happy. $350 is not a lot of money to some people that like having the latest and greatest technology.

On the MFG side, what is the likelihood this angry customer that left Sprint is going to buy another samsung? The financial incentives are huge imo.

My analysis does not even consider the fact that several key features such as GPS are not running smoothly and 2.2 addresses some technical problems. They need to get their stuff together or they will lose some customers if they haven't already.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. But the way Sprint and some of its OEMs, especially Samsung, prioritize maintenance of released handsets suggests they don't consider the costs associated with keeping their firmware current is worth it to them.

I think the network operators think that you're pretty much stuck and have to take what they give you and that relatively few of their customers will go through the trouble and expense of eating ETFs, changing providers, etc., when they don't update in a timely fashion. Especially when no one carrier really has a markedly better record of postmarket support than any other, and they all sorta suck at at this.

As to Samsung, I'd agree that there's probably more likelihood that they will see the negative reaction to their slowness as a significant threat to the popularity of their high-end handsets in the marketplace, especially if the other big Android OEMs (HTC, Moto, to a lesser extent LG, though they seem to be jumping in deeper) do a better job of pushing updates and they get a reputation for being an OEM to avoid if you want the latest and greatest. But if they are realizing that this is something they need to worry about from a business perspective, it's coming slowly.

Maybe it's as the T-mo spokesperson said and the industry (both operators and OEMs) just hasn't caught up with the new paradigm of Android being more like a desktop OS with continual updates. Samsung certainly *did* make a lot of noises that sounded like they intended to improve their post-release support when they announced the Galaxy S line.

I guess we'll see, but so far it would be hard to be really encouraged.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I updated to DK28 when it 1st came out it was iffy...about 1 week ago I odined back to 2.1 in hopes of 2.2 being "officially" released...WELL I wont be getting it soon and I actually like the anesthetic of 2.2 over 2.1 and while minor I rather deal with the CAPPED internet speed and occasional slim lag depending on whats open and running, because I like 2.2 over 2.1,,,,remember they did an update because the data speed was moving slow on 2.1...well it is back in 2.2. I keep running speed test and nothing over 1mbps and the upload is @ .90mbps.....on 4g! 3g is .65mbps and on upload .34mbps....tried on wifi@ home I get 6-7mbps and upload around 2-3...........now odin and back to 2.1 update 1 my speed on 4G sitting on same couch is 5-6 and upload @ 1.1mbps....HMM this is probably something to do with no froyo!

Hmmm, thats strange, this is what I get on a Stock Epic with Eclair 2.1, rooted no roms and Launcher Pro

Stock_Epic_Speeds.jpg

Above Listed Speeds are in kbps, so if you convert starting from the top going down into Mbps, it would be:

Down - Up
19.18 - 2.74
18.35 - 4.14
19.08 - 2.64
07.55 - 0.98
00.25 - 0.36

Last edited:

seand26

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No Froyo = Grounds For Cancellation/Swap?

I am not sure if this was covered in the other threads, but here goes. With all the hub bub surrounding Sprint/Samsung and the release of Froyo and as a customer under contract, is this grounds for cancellation/return? Where can I view an actual contract online to see the terms in order to determine IF there is a clause regarding software updates?

There has to be some type of "protection" for the consumer from the carrier not honoring their end of the contract or a breach of contract. I'm getting tired of the bump responses received from both ends.

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You can find the terms of service somewhere on the website. And there is not a chance in hell it's grounds for termination unless you find a VERY sympathetic rep. Sprint needs to thoroughly test all software updates and not all delays are their fault. Samsung uses a quirky backbone which might have something to do with the delay. My advice to you if you really want Froyo is to root and use some of the great custom ROMs available on this site. I've been on Froyo for months on my Epic. You can always flash right back to stock using ODIN without breaking any warranties, etc.

Reactions: reverepats

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure if this was covered in the other threads, but here goes. With all the hub bub surrounding Sprint/Samsung and the release of Froyo and as a customer under contract, is this grounds for cancellation/return? Where can I view an actual contract online to see the terms in order to determine IF there is a clause regarding software updates?

There has to be some type of "protection" for the consumer from the carrier not honoring their end of the contract or a breach of contract. I'm getting tired of the bump responses received from both ends.

Doubtfull, you did purchase the Epic with a working OS installed, correct?

You should have made a better decision on getting a device with Froyo installed, like the Evo for example.....

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Nah, no way they'll let you out ETF free because of the long wait for Froyo. A sympathetic rep might let you swap to an Evo or Shift, but even that would be a long shot imo.

seand26

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Doubtfull, you did purchase the Epic with a working OS installed, correct?

You should have made a better decision on getting a device with Froyo installed, like the Evo for example.....

Here's the thing, the device was widely advertised with Froyo prior to it's release. I did not actually know it came with Eclair until I picked it up and this was contingent upon a promise that Froyo will be released. It's easy to say I should not have trusted a manufacturer on their promises, etc., but the manufacturer themselves is one of the reasons I and many others chose to buy a Samsung product.

I've been a Sprint customer for 10+ years and never have I experienced this type of disappointment. I am sure others feel the same way as well. I still like Sprint and for the time being will continue on with their service and I am not looking to place blame. I simply cannot fathom why a highly anticipated device that has been out for almost a year still does not have the update and I am already hearing about the Galaxy S's successor with the lates software. Not to mention the Nexus S is receiving updates left and right.

a_c_s said:
My advice to you if you really want Froyo is to root and use some of the great custom ROMs available on this site. I've been on Froyo for months on my Epic. You can always flash right back to stock using ODIN without breaking any warranties, etc.

I am considering the TrulyEpic ROM. I did flash to the DK28 update when it was released 12/4/10 and experienced loss in functionality. After the phone froze a few times I decided to go back to stock. Since then I've been waiting.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Probably the worst part about the whole Froyo issue is that whenever it does finally drop its going to have bugs and going to need updates. So yes we eventually will have Froyo but how happy is everyone going to be when they find out things aren't working any better than the "leaked version" and require updates?

Meanwhile, more and more devices coming up will be Froyo 2.2 out the door and stamped as Gingerbread ready.

I like Sammy, great products and always trying to stay cutting edge but they along with the US carriers have dropped the ball on this one.

anon(49580)

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
[/QUOTE]I am considering the TrulyEpic ROM. I did flash to the DK28 update when it was released 12/4/10 and experienced loss in functionality. After the phone froze a few times I decided to go back to stock. Since then I've been waiting.[/QUOTE]

I waited for froyo since it launched when I purchased the epic for me and my wife. I gave up waiting any longer about 3 weeks ago and I rooted and flashed the TrulyEpic ROM.... It has been working fine for me. The phone seems to run faster now. I have quasi BT voice dial (I'd call it BT audio enabled) and my exchange email now has links when there is a number / email address / url.. I also believe my battery life has increased.

If I had know flashing a ROM was that easy I'd have done it months ago.

Reactions: seand26

narf

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Any of you read the T-Mo vibrant thread about their 2.2 update? It doesn't sound pretty. Lots if complaining and very little happiness. Either they are a bunch of whiners or T-Mo rushed the update out unfinished.
Moral of the story:
Maybe the delays aren't some vast conspiracy to extort money from carriers or force us to buy a new phone. Maybe it's just taking a long time to stomp out the bugs.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-vibrant/55601-2-2-update-findings.html

Last edited:

seand26

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I for one would like to hear if that is the case from the manufacturer. Not rumors and speculation. I think concrete info would make everyone sit easy and have a better understanding and patience rather dishing out fluff.

narf

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I for one would like to hear if that is the case from the manufacturer. Not rumors and speculation. I think concrete info would make everyone sit easy and have a better understanding and patience rather dishing out fluff.

I doubt you will ever hear a manufacturer admit that a delay is being caused by persistent software bugs. It's bad PR, makes the product look unreliable. Only the real geeks would appreciate this kind of candor, the average buyer would be scared away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeeba