This phone is just ridiculous, Google

Mptrh336

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Cell carriers have a few advantages here. One, they have an ongoing business relationship with you for which post paid billing is a regular exchange - if you fail to return the device, they can bill you for it, disconnect your service and send your account to collections. Two, they have the ability to credit report, both for seeking information and reporting missed payments and/or issues like this to the credit bureaus. Three, they aren't out $500 (or whatever your device costs) if you skip on the bill. They're out whatever portion of the replacement commission that they would have gotten and the rest is written off, when they send the full $500 plus fees, etc to a third party collection agency until roughly a year or so later when they sell it to a debt buyer, for pennies on the dollar. Those pennies, aggregated, likely will pay off the insurance that allowed the write off.

I'm not saying you personally would screw them, but there are those who will and the above things give carriers a distinct advantage due to the nature of your existing agreements with them.

I get it. Doesn't mean I particularly like the way that they delayed the resolution. It's mostly resolved at this point since the phone has been shipped. After much frustration this is about over with.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I get it. Doesn't mean I particularly like the way that they delayed the resolution. It's mostly resolved at this point since the phone has been shipped. After much frustration this is about over with.
Google lost my order and I'm still working through channels on resolution. I definitely follow your frustration.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Agreed whenever I look to see what phones people have its either an iPhone which I don't typing this on a 6S+ LOL or a Samsung phone and I think that sucks for Android cause there are so many great offerings compared to Samsung. I did have a 6P for a week and I have to give Google and Huawei props they made an amazing phone. There was just few things that still bug me about Android to fully give up my iPhone. I hate that Samsung seems to be the face of Android and that's all the average consumer seems to think there is when it comes to Android phones.

It's good to see someone accustomed to iPhones like yourself realize this. I've lost track of how many iPhone users who switch to Android just head straight for Samsung because they don't care to shop around enough to see past advertising popularity. I don't really get it because if I'm in the market for a new HDTV, Stereo, Fridge, Stove, etc I don't just head straight for whoever happens to be the most visible in the media because I do my homework and know there's more than just 2 high quality brands out there.

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Who's still happy with their 6p?

Who is still using and loving their 6p? What do you like most about it? Best android phone you've had? Please share opinions!

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Who's still happy with their 6p?

Who is still using and loving their 6p? What do you like most about it? Best android phone you've had? Please share opinions!

Got my screen issue sorted out (I think) via RMA, but other than that it is hands down the best phone I have owned or used, and I have daily driven a LOT of phones, everything from Samsung's flagships to iPhones. I'm not sure I have a single complaint with it - OK I wish it had optical image stabilization, but that's a super minor nit pick that is more important for video than photos anyway.

Battery - Easy ~48 hours with my usage, and a full charge takes just over an hour. Loses 2% overnight with a 9-hour doze.
Screen - Objectively the best available, assuming it's a Note 5 panel. Not much more to say about it, it's a high end 5.7" OLED that performs as expected in most cases.
Speakers - Great, super loud - may not be the best but who cares it's a phone haha. Just needs to be nice and loud for notifications and alarms.
Call quality - I don't make many calls, but no complaints on either end. Twice now I have been in super loud/crowded pubs/restaurants and easily been able to make a short call.
Camera - Tested extensively against my Galaxy S6, I call it a tie. The 6P's strengths though (low light and Google's way of doing HDR) are more valuable for my personal tastes than the extra resolution and OIS on the GS6. The two are so close though you would never be unhappy with either. Front camera (8MP) is fantastic, and can still use HDR+, but it's not quite in the same league as the rear camera. Any feature related complaints can be fixed with a third party app.
Reception - This will be very individual-specific, but places where my N5 had no reception (parkades, elevators, washrooms), this thing has a couple bars of LTE - enough for light browsing or messaging. Very impressive.
Fingerprint Reader - Seems to take about 0.5 seconds to both read and unlock the phone. Can't ask for much more than that. It's also never failed on me once yet, even with some pretty lazy finger presses. Seems like most of the flagships are using similarly quick technology here these days, no complaints.

Anyway, my summary is probably not much different than you can find in the reviews, but those are my thoughts after almost 2 weeks.

Fastest phone I have ever experienced from any brand. It's just instant, zero lag, zero stutters. Side-by-side tests with a friend's iPhone 6S+, the only thing the iPhone does faster is load some games and cold-boot from off. Web pages, popular apps, general day-to-day usage items, etc. is all noticeably faster on my 6P. I don't care if it has the SD810 or if it's throttling or not because I sure as hell can't tell with anything I throw at it. The speed at which it can load content-heavy apps or web pages like BBC, Buzzfeed, etc. is amazing.

The Nexus 4 and 5 were also amazing, but more for the price/performance ratio they offered (flagship specs & decent build quality along with a crazy cheap price and average cameras). The 6P is an all-out premium phone in every aspect that can easily compete with the best out there in any category, and it's still hundreds cheaper than it's arch rival.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have seen the Android service hang, then stop entirely quite a bit lately. The phone, of course, is useless until the service finally dies.

I deleted 3rd party apps and still experienced the issue; so, I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

Initially, the phone seemed perfect.

May do a factory reset next.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Art over at Android Police is already complaining about lag if you don't reboot the phones after 3 or 4 days. Anyone, notice this?

To answer your question, see my first post in this thread. I've been heavily pushing this phone for the first 2 days and it's taking it like a champ. I'll post again on Friday but I'm predicting Art is full of it.

As promised, I'm reporting that after a full week rather than 4 days, Art is indeed full of it as I predicted :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Screen - Objectively the best available, assuming it's a Note 5 panel. Not much more to say about it, it's a high end 5.7" OLED that performs as expected in most cases.

A question about the screen: Does the 6P have the same superbright sunlight mode that Samsung devices do? I drive a convertible, and my current screen gets really hard to read on a sunny day.

Thanks.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

A question about the screen: Does the 6P have the same superbright sunlight mode that Samsung devices do? I drive a convertible, and my current screen gets really hard to read on a sunny day.

Thanks.

I haven't see any sunlight mode. I have read it's not *quite* as bright as the Note 5 though. I don't run it anywhere near full brightness (it's way too bright), and I can see it just fine outdoors. I imagine like any phone, if you have direct outdoor sunlight on it, it's going to be difficult to see regardless of the screen. The screen gets very bright but I wouldn't expect miracles in sunlight.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
As promised, I'm reporting that after a full week rather than 4 days, Art is indeed full of it as I predicted :)
Can't agree with you. Although, I can't say if 4 days is the sweet spot either.

This phone lags. I can't tell you how many times I get the "can't start microphone" error, too -- too many times.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have similar sentiments to the OP. I've had the phone for a couple of weeks now and It's the finest phone I've ever used.

Has an excellent combination of hardware & software that have given me the best overall experience I've had with a phone. It does what I want it to do as fast as I want to do it. No issues with stuttering/lag/hangs, no weird sounds or 'tips' screens popping up.

And yeah, if you want to nit-pick, there are phones out there with a better camera, with better battery life, with better speakers etc, but I don't feel there is a phone out there that as an overall combination is as good as the 6P. You might get a phone with a better camera, but there'll be trade-offs in battery life or software or something. Might get a phone with better battery life, but the trade-off may be UI speed and camera. You get the point.

It just provides an overall pretty excellent experience, and I think the reviews express that. Google have improved Android a lot with Marshmallow (where Lollipop had a lot of bugs) and the hardware that Huawei brought is top notch and can stand up against any 'premium' phone out there. The two companies have don't really well. I don't think there's anything that I really dislike about it. If I had to point to one thing, I'd say that outdoor visibility in bright sunlight isn't great. It's viewable, but not great.

Otherwise, I'm really liking it a lot. Very glad I got this phone.

stevenkelby

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had zero lag, restart, freeze or errors. Camera takes 1 second to start, everything else is instant. F. Lux does prevent other apps installing properly but just have to disable it from drawing over other apps, launch the new app, then re-enable f. Lux drawing over other apps. Then everything works fine from then on. Had the phone 2 weeks. Played with them all and this is the best phone currently made, for me. Love it.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can't agree with you. Although, I can't say if 4 days is the sweet spot either.

This phone lags. I can't tell you how many times I get the "can't start microphone" error, too -- too many times.

I definitely don't have these issues. Sounds like yours is defective. This is one of the fastest phones I've had. I came to it from the Moto X Pure Edition.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I definitely don't have these issues. Sounds like yours is defective. This is one of the fastest phones I've had. I came to it from the Moto X Pure Edition.
What launcher are you using?

I just did a factory reset and switched to Google Now launcher. I have always used / preferred Nova Launcher, but maybe it is the source of my problems in Marshmallow.

stevenkelby

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Maybe, but Nova works awesome for me, zero lags. Google Now launcher sucks, can't customize anything. You might have a bad app or a faulty phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What launcher are you using?

I just did a factory reset and switched to Google Now launcher. I have always used / preferred Nova Launcher, but maybe it is the source of my problems in Marshmallow.

Pure stock. The most I have done is install the apps I like. Nothing else (like launchers) has been changed.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
After two weeks of use, I love this phone and have run into very few issues and/or annoyances:

1. Ambient display - Very inconsistent. Doesn't always turn off after receiving an alert. Finicky when I move my 6P. I've disabled it. Seems to be a software issue so hopefully it's fixed in an update.

2. Auto rotate - A few times it doesn't rotate back from horizontal to portrait unless I'm really deliberate. Does not happen every time but has happened more than once.

3. StubHub is the only app that has had any issues that forces an app shutdown. It only happens when I try to scan a barcode. All other apps have run flawlessly with no issues.

Other than those minor things, my 6P has been as close to perfect. Definitely the best phone I've used, Android or otherwise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg