Thoughts after 2 weeks of use!

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have never been a huge supporter of samsung, the last samsung I had was the s8 plus. That was only for 4 months before I traded with my son. I tried the note 8 and that only lasted a week. I had the s9 plus which lasted 24 hours because it wasnt worth wasting an upgrade for a phone that wasnt any better than the s8 plus running the same exact software(took the s8 plus from my son due to horrible grades was using it as my daily up until the release of the s9). The s8 updated to the same software the s9 was using about a week after the 9 came out.

Why would I choose the note 9 if I dont like samsung. The answer to that is the built in dex, I really hate carrying around a laptop. They are bulky heavy and you have to be cautious of leaving it in your car if you live in a hot as desert. I wanted a device that could truly take the form as a solid all in one device. I was able to find a foldable bluetooth keyboard with a track pad that is just slightly larger than the note 9. The other reason I chose the note 9 was the secure folder. I work in the medial field and security of patient information is a concern. The secure folder exceeds the standards that are required. I like having all my work information in a completely seperate area of the phone.

I came over from the apple camp and I was using the iphone x. I will say that I really did like the phone and it is a solid device. This note just murders the iphone when it comes to productivity, I had to find a work around for my work calendar(because after 11 years of being used android nor samsung natively support caldav, its been around since 2007). I was able to find an app that worked for the google caldav(which has apparently a higher security standard, its harder for apps to access). Once that was set up everything just fell into place with this phone.

I use this phone exactly like I did with my iphone, same usage patterns and apps. In 2 weeks I have put this phone on the charger 5 times at night. I do use android auto which requires the phone to be plugged in so it does charge during those time. That was the same with apple carplay, and I had to charge my iphone every single night. I have never had a phone battery last this long with my usage and not charge it at the end of every day.

Bixby is very interesting, for it to have its assistant capabilities you have to actively use it according the samsung rep I called last night. With siri, you dont have to do that at all. It just learns your habits automatically. Thats my next goal is to really give bixby a try and see how good it really is.

The only thing I will have to overcome is samsungs complete lack of android updates past security patches. I know full well that this phone will most likely never get android 9.0 in the time that I own it. That security updates will start out strong and after a few months I will stop getting them for months at a time. While that is frustrating it is the nature of samsung and its never going to change no matter how upset I get samsung doesnt care lol.

In conclusion the more I use this phone the more I am really starting to lile this device. There are no glaring issues that have killed this phone for me. Which is a good thing because like I stated earlier, I dont like samsung phones and am very critical of them. This phone is changing my mind on that every day I use it. I sold my 2017 macbook pro so I could pay off enough of my iphone x to upgrade to this bad boy. I do not regret that decision at all. This phone has replaced my macbook, and the need for ever having a laptop ever again. That is pretty damn impressive for a phone to accomplish for myself.

I plan on updating this post as time passes. Also it feels good to be posting back in AC and not imore!

anon(3641385)

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
The Note 9 will likely get pie OS from February or so next year. Just like the Note 8 got O in maybe March or so this year.

As to monthly security updates, i seem to recall that all mine were approx monthly with the note 8.

As to samsung oem apps, regularly updated is my impression, and I use most of the samsung apps on offer.

The big pain for me is setting up a new device, lol, but after 1 week with the note 9, transferring from the note 8, I think I've got it all sorted :)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The Note 9 will likely get pie OS from February or so next year. Just like the Note 8 got O in maybe March or so this year.

As to monthly security updates, i seem to recall that all mine were approx monthly with the note 8.

As to samsung oem apps, regularly updated is my impression, and I use most of the samsung apps on offer.

The big pain for me is setting up a new device, lol, but after 1 week with the note 9, transferring from the note 8, I think I've got it all sorted :)
Don't forget, the Note9 has project Treble. The Note8 does not. I would think that would move the timeline to Pie into this year. I wouldn't expect a lot of change, though.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

Maybe Samsung concentrates more on the note line and updates. The worst part for my switch was I was using the iOS 12 beta. Which isnt supported by any transfer tool, I don't have anything from my iPhone. Luckily you install an iPhone back up on the 6th gen ipod touch.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you've found your work flow. It's a great feeling when you have a device that does everything you need.

I'm not sure if you got a carrier branded model but all my AT&T Samsung devices since the S8+ have gotten regular monthly patches. Well actually the S9+ started off slow because they were working on a big update to fix issues but after that came out it was monthly. Typically the new version of Android will be released after the next S series model so they can use it as part of their marketing of the next device. Like the S8/S8+ & Note8 got Oreo after the S9/S9+ was released. Same goes for previous years.