Toodles

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Today I bought a phone through t-mobile. Gonna go with the prepaid$50 dollar plan. It has better coverage for me and No more trips without service for over 90 miles of a 150 mile trip. My biggest issue was coverage of service with Virgin. No matter what you cant force coverage if its not available and several times a month I have to travel in a area with absolutely no coverage. Sometimes its just passing through others it is spending a day there.

I probably will still roam these forums just to keep people in line. :D I will miss the community here that is for sure.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I went from socal to norcal, and my VM service was top notch. 2.5MB speeds and no drops! it was so awesome. streamed pandora and youtube most of the way. wish i got that speed at home.

i might move to tmobile with a G2x but im loving the triumph too much to even think about it yet. gotta see what virgins doin soon. I want to see what phone they bring next.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
i might move to tmobile with a G2x but im loving the triumph too much to even think about it yet. gotta see what virgins doin soon. I want to see what phone they bring next.

Are they still going through with the Optimus Black? I've been holding out for that. Don't know what the devs are doing though. I'll buy whatever phone Jerry, Bob, and Leslie buy :p

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Good Luck, Eollie!
I can't really blame you one bit, I may still end up doing similar.
Thanks for all you have done here, you helped a lot of people.

Are they still going through with the Optimus Black? I've been holding out for that. Don't know what the devs are doing though. I'll buy whatever phone Jerry, Bob, and Leslie buy :p

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

IF it comes out, it will be $250-$300 and still months down the road. I think the new ZTE phones are all you can expect for the next 6 months. Maybe a Windows phone.

As for me... I gave up, I still have the OV (which I am convinced the Sdcard slot is dying or may be dead at this point), but I also have an Evo 4g being set up. The OV looks and feels ancient next to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eollie

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Which phone?

Hope you have as much fun with it, and it's forums, as you did here! ;)
The Samsung Galaxy S, its a older phone but still has active devs working on ROMs. To be honest Jerry I have yet to find a community like the one for the Optimus V. Even a year later some of the original devs are still around and people that were here a year ago.

Good Luck, Eollie!
I can't really blame you one bit, I may still end up doing similar.
Thanks for all you have done here, you helped a lot of people.

IF it comes out, it will be $250-$300 and still months down the road. I think the new ZTE phones are all you can expect for the next 6 months. Maybe a Windows phone.

As for me... I gave up, I still have the OV (which I am convinced the Sdcard slot is dying or may be dead at this point), but I also have an Evo 4g being set up. The OV looks and feels ancient next to it.

Thanks LeslieAnn! I have thought about this for a while and after spending a day without service it pushed me over. I thought about just going with a straight talk phone but really enjoy my smartphones. :D

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S, its a older phone but still has active devs working on ROMs. To be honest Jerry I have yet to find a community like the one for the Optimus V. Even a year later some of the original devs are still around and people that were here a year ago.

ahh.. the vibrant..

I had one for a long time.

god, it was an awesome phone but samsung locked it down.

I believe the last thing I read was that cyanogen dropped it from official support becuase of an error calling 911 that they couldnt fix. that was the final straw for me and away it went while it was still worth a couple hundred bucks.

the music player was my favorite feature of it, but the media player in MIUI bests it any day of the week on my triumph.

I remember the screen had a weird look to it compared to LCDs. not as clear. really blurry and the text looked awful. sure the blacks are black but whats the point if the rest of it is somewhat off.

whats the ROM progress on it now? I have an opportunity to grab one of these for pocket change. i hope it gets a nexus S ICS port.

ps, the audio jack on the Galaxy S Vibrant is also a Video out port if you have a 1/8th inch to Composite adapter. (like DV videocameras use)

its SD video, and mirrors everything on the screen. pretty cool little-known feature

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Its actually the Galaxy S 4G not that it matters too much but what Ive seen is the regular SGS roms will not work.

I did some research and that phone seems to be the best deal for the money. I searched ebay and a couple other sites but I would have spent atleast 60 bucks more and not really had that much of a greater phone.

As for roms there are some CM hybrids and GB roms currently. I think I seen somebody talking about a ICS port but not sure.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how long the devs have been there or are still active, but the Evo 4G seems to have an absolutely HUGE community. Frankly I'm lost trying to understand the updates, kernels, and roms for it. There is just sooo much.

The Galaxy should have at least a decent community, though I suspect many moved on to the S2 or Galaxy Nexus. I almost went that way, but too expensive still and I like the Evo more.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
As soon as I find a new triumph for less than 200 locally, I'm jumping ship too, I know "don't buy the triumph blah blah" there is nothing else coming out soon, and from what I read its a decent phone when rom'd, I really want target to have a good deal, they have a 90 day return policy so if something better comes out I can trade it in.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As soon as I find a new triumph for less than 200 locally, I'm jumping ship too, I know "don't buy the triumph blah blah" there is nothing else coming out soon, and from what I read its a decent phone when rom'd, I really want target to have a good deal, they have a 90 day return policy so if something better comes out I can trade it in.

unless you really want HDMI, CM7 and MIUI are awesome on the triumph. HDMI only works on froyo for now

a beta ICS rom will be out within the next two weeks for sure. its very very close

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
unless you really want HDMI, CM7 and MIUI are awesome on the triumph. HDMI only works on froyo for now

a beta ICS rom will be out within the next two weeks for sure. its very very close

My son has the Triumph and I have rooted it for him but he is wanting me to install a custom ROM. Which Rom's do you use or recommend? I haven't sat down and looked into any Triumph threads yet.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how long the devs have been there or are still active, but the Evo 4G seems to have an absolutely HUGE community. Frankly I'm lost trying to understand the updates, kernels, and roms for it. There is just sooo much.

The Galaxy should have at least a decent community, though I suspect many moved on to the S2 or Galaxy Nexus. I almost went that way, but too expensive still and I like the Evo more.

Im not sure if I was clear what I meant. so..

Last year when I started looking for a prepaid plan that had a smartphone that was rootable and of decent quality I found the Optimus. Ive had mine since late Feb of 2011. LeslieAnn, Jerry and a couple others are some of the oldest members of the dev community here. They have yet to jump ship for whatever reason.

The life span of most devs on a particular device is about six months. I follow several devs of roms and themes and on average I see them moving to a new device every six months or so.

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

That's what happened when I moved to my Thunderbolt, and again with the Galaxy Nexus. I'm becoming more well traveled on the internet as a result, but there is a lot to remember.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

TNSmokey98

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Well back in my htc diamond days that phones dev community lasted a little over a year almost 2. But I'm glad they are still here.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure if I was clear what I meant. so..

Last year when I started looking for a prepaid plan that had a smartphone that was rootable and of decent quality I found the Optimus. Ive had mine since late Feb of 2011. LeslieAnn, Jerry and a couple others are some of the oldest members of the dev community here. They have yet to jump ship for whatever reason.

The life span of most devs on a particular device is about six months. I follow several devs of roms and themes and on average I see them moving to a new device every six months or so.

The only reason I haven't jumped was because the plan works perfect for me and other than my trusty OV, the only other option on Virgin was the Triumph (NO!).

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Today I bought a phone through t-mobile. Gonna go with the prepaid$50 dollar plan. It has better coverage for me and No more trips without service for over 90 miles of a 150 mile trip. My biggest issue was coverage of service with Virgin. No matter what you cant force coverage if its not available and several times a month I have to travel in a area with absolutely no coverage. Sometimes its just passing through others it is spending a day there.

I probably will still roam these forums just to keep people in line. :D I will miss the community here that is for sure.

Picked up an HTC Sensation off CL for $200 and switching to the $30 Monthly4G. Surprised at how much better this phone is, hopefully my Tmo experience will be the same.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ICS just got 3G data working on the Triumph. ROM release imminent.

I was actually looking on craigslist for a good Tmo phone too, 4G is tempting O_O

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Just want to say its not been a week and I honestly miss the level of community here. AC doenst really have a SGS4G community and the most active Ive found was at xda. I know I bashed some noobs on the head here. Honestly my intentions was to keep the good people and run off the moochers. Ya know the ones that bought the phone for its ability to tether and nothing else?

But the SGS4G sub forum is a freaking mess at xda. If somebody asks a question that have been answered the typical response is use search dumbass. Then five to ten posts flaming each other for being a douchebag. My fav a dev telling somebody reading is fundamental and that had he followed the directions he would know certain things needed to be wiped. Only thing the person is using a new GUI the dev is using to flash his rom. Once you select flash zip in CWM it starts this cool GUI that honestly makes it so simple and less likely to mess up. Anyway the dev told him to read the op and follow directions and he would not have the problem. However the dev doesnt update he re-writes the op. Deletes all old information and posts the new stuff. Changelogs....same thing Instead of using code formatting and leaving the old change log posted so people will know what all has changed he changes the post to reflect the most curent version changes. There is not real way to know what he changed unless you rip a rom apart and find the changelog buried in there.

Jerry, LeslieAnn, Bob, MGR, Blarf and anybody Im missing you guys rock. Optimus V community IMO the best phone community Ive been a part of.